Rules: arrow build.

Alibear

I'm playing in an on-line fantasy game and my character is an archer. Waves to Randy and co.

I want him to be able to build a perfect arrow. Not magical or anything just the best an arrow can be if someone lovingly spent hours and hours straightening the shaft, sharpening the head, making great glue, perfect fletching etc.

So I was thinking:

The perfect arrow:

+1 ocv and +4 v range. How do I build the limitations?

Re: Rules: arrow build.

I like the Talent approach myself.

I'd do it something like this...

Love of the Fletcher's Art

1 1 point Major Transform, Limited Target (-1: Arrows or Fletching Supplies), No Range (-1/2) RSR: PS:Fletcher (-1/2) Extra Time :1 Hour (-3) Limited: Can't add more than 15 AP to arrow (Arbitrary GM limit to keep it feeling "real", -0)

Use the "Adding Powers" rules for transforms and voila, you can manufacture individual arrows over the course of several hours each (I figure your basic arrow counts as 1 Body for the transform, so the first couple of hours will be spent making the arrow really nice but still "normal" stat wise, after which you add an extra 5 AP to your inbuilt levels per extra hour you sink into the arrow). The bonus to this is that each arrow can be tailor-built for different purposes.

The reversion for the transform is not caring for the arrow properly and letting it get weathered.

Really too cheap for a 1 point talent, but hey I suppose it could be boosted to a 1/2 die for another point for a true master fletcher.

The Fool has it right here; what it sounds like you're simulating (more than a Transform, though) is Skill Levels, only with Perfect Arrows. You can also go with Deadly Blow, Charges, Charges are Perfect Arrows [see Text*] where you use The Fool's mechanic to create said Perfect Arrows.

[shamless_plug]Or, you can do what I did and just divorce bows & arrows completely, now available at in the http://d3-games.com; it's pretty great. And it comes in hardcover![/shameless_plug]

I'd probably go the Transform route to add CSLs with OAF and Independent. I'd require the Transform reach enough Body to add the correct number of points as per the Transform rules for adding powers. That's a pretty minor difference though, and probably at most just changes the amount of Extra Time to add (or changes the expected time for crafting the arrows, depending on how you want to approach it).

Then again, talk to your GM about this being a normal application of the Weaponsmith skill in a heroic game. Maybe you don't even need to construct a power.

The Fool has it right here; what it sounds like you're simulating (more than a Transform' date=' though) is Skill Levels, only with Perfect Arrows. You can also go with Deadly Blow, Charges, Charges are Perfect Arrows [see Text*'] where you use The Fool's mechanic to create said Perfect Arrows.

[shamless_plug]Or, you can do what I did and just divorce bows & arrows completely, now available at in the http://d3-games.com; it's pretty great. And it comes in hardcover![/shameless_plug]

Shameless Plug Fail. ;)

That link doesn't work. Was it supposed to be: http://www.d-3games.com/ ?

I'd probably go the Transform route to add CSLs with OAF and Independent. I'd require the Transform reach enough Body to add the correct number of points as per the Transform rules for adding powers. That's a pretty minor difference though' date=' and probably at most just changes the amount of Extra Time to add (or changes the expected time for crafting the arrows, depending on how you want to approach it).[/quote']

Yeah I thought about that (and pondered slapping Continuous on it at one point as well) but then decided that stacking on one pip Transforms to hit the target body was functionally the same I decided that it'd be fair allowing the progressing AP's grant the "already paid off" CSL's via the "partial transformation" option.

Then again' date=' talk to your GM about this being a normal application of the Weaponsmith skill in a heroic game. Maybe you don't even need to construct a power.[/quote']

A totally viable option, tho I kinda like the idea of using something of the sort as a "Mastercrafter" talent. The Transform could also be used to pay the costs for "Fine" enhancements ala Fantasy Hero, I suppose, tho this in general could get out of hand quickly.

So, Randy, assuming poor wee Jarrid gets any experience points in the future, which limitations are you letting me get away with?

1 charge which takes several hours of loving work to replenish.

13- An activation roll equal to his fletching skill.

OAF - The best arrow a man can make.

Anything else?