Star Frontiers Conversion

azato

I am making a first rough pass with weapons. For defenses there are shields and suits. They can be mixed but other than inertia duplication provides no extra benefit.

Inertia - Absorbs 1/2 PD Damage. Will completely stop needler attacks.

Albedo - Absorbs Laser. Eats up charges to do so or suit gets "chewed up" with each shot" absorbing a set amount of damage

GAUSS - Completely stops electrical attacks

SONIC - - Completely stops electrical attacks

What is in bold I have done. What isn't, I haven't. The amount listed by the name is the "dollar" value listed in the book.

I am not sure how to do gyrojet weapons.

COMMENTS CRITICISMS SUGGESTIONS ARE WELCOME

(PB/S/M/L/E)

Beam Weapons

Electrostunner 500 4d6NND (GAUSS)

Laser Pistol 600 1 1/2 RKA AP +2 RM (ALBEDO)

Laser Rifle 800 2 1/2 RKA AP +4RM (ALBEDO)

Sonic Disruptor 700 3d6 RKA – Damage reduces over distance. (SONIC)

Sonic Stunner 500 4d6 NND (SONIC)

Heavy Laser 6,000 4d6 RKA AP Heavy weapon – braced No range modifier (ALBEDO)

Sonic Devastator 5,000 5d6 RKA Damage reduces over distance. (SONIC)

Projectile Weapons

Automatic Pistol 200 1d6+1 RKA (Inertia)

Automatic Rifle 300 2d6 RKA (Inertia)

Needler Pistol 200 2d6 RKA Reduce Penetration/ 1d6 RKA (only to determine penetration+5d6 NND (Inertia)

Needler Rifle 400 3 3d6 RKA Red. Penetration/1 1.5d6 RKA (only to determine penetration+5d6 NND) (Inertia)

Machine Gun 2,000 3d6 RKA (Inertia)

Recoilless Rifle 4,000 20 12d10 1 shell -- ½ Inertia -/150/1km/2km/3km

Gyrojet Weapons

Gyrojet Pistol 200

Gyrojet Rifle 300 4

Grenade Rifle 700 4 As grenade 1 bullet -- ½ RS check -/25/50/100/200

Grenade Mortar 2,000 15 As grenade 1 shell -- ½ RS check -/200/500/1km/2km

Rocket Launcher 5,000 15 15d10 1 rocket -- ½ Inertia -/70/200/500/1km

Grenades

Doze Grenade 10 -- Sleep -- -- 1 STA check 5/10/15/25/50

Frag. Grenade 20 -- 8d10 -- -- 1 RS check 5/10/15/25/50

Incendiary Grenade 20 -- 4d10+1d10x3 Turns -- -- 1 RS check 5/10/15/25/50

Poison Grenade 30 -- S5/T10 Poison -- -- 1 STA check 5/10/15/25/50

Smoke Grenade 10 -- -10 to Hit -- -- 1 IR 5/10/15/25/50

Tangler Grenade 25 -- Entanglement -- -- 1 RS check 5/10/15/25/50

Melee Weapons

Electric Sword 150 1 1/2 HKA+2d6 NND* (GAUSS)

Shock Gloves 50 1 1/2 HKA (GAUSS)

Sonic Knife 50 1d6 HKA AP (SONIC)

Sonic Sword 300 2d6 HKA AP (SONIC)

Stunstick 75 1 +3d6 HTH + 3D6 NND (SONIC)

Vibroknife 25 1d6 AP (Inertia)

Re: Star Frontiers Conversion

Funny, when I built the yazarian for Gemini Ascendant, I went much the same way. Later, I amended the Berserk power to be the Berserk Fury talent from Fantasy HERO. Overall looks good. Still have to review the dralasite package, but I expect you to be dead on.

Are you just writing the weapons up with an appropriate number of charges? Do lasers have boostable charges? Inquiring minds want to know. :)

Based on discussion of a previous thread - I don't think am going to have adjustable lasers. Most people would set them to "11" and fire away. Although.... perhaps equating charges to DC's?

I plan to use the charge system for cells, belts and packs and for lasers give them a standard 2-4 charge shot (whatever).

THOUGHTS?

I need to look at the talent. It never occurred to me.

Funny, when I built the yazarian for Gemini Ascendant, I went much the same way. Later, I amended the Berserk power to be the Berserk Fury talent from Fantasy HERO. Overall looks good. Still have to review the dralasite package, but I expect you to be dead on.

Are you just writing the weapons up with an appropriate number of charges? Do lasers have boostable charges? Inquiring minds want to know. :)

Based on discussion of a previous thread - I don't think am going to have adjustable lasers.

THOUGHTS?

I think that Boostable charges have enough inherent problems that it would be easy to integrate them into a conversion. Mind you it isn't necessary to use them, but that was always one of the major "flavor" things of Star Frontiers that I remember from eons ago. With HERO, now the PCs have to worry about whether the laser is going to burn out as well as the reduced number of shots.

I think I would personally waive the "adjust DC gain by Power Advantages" rule. Then again, I hate to complicate game play with too much math. ;)

• 3 months later...

1 SEU = 1 END

Power Clip = 20 End

Power Belt = 50 End

Power Pack = 100 End

Laser pistol can be adjusted from 1 to 6 DCs of RKA AP (2d6 AP)

Laser rifles can be adjusted from 1 to 10 DCs or RKA AP (3d6+1 AP)

Albedo Suit

+20 Body -1/2 only vs ED, -1/2 only vs lasers, -1/2 OIF

Skein Suit

+10 Body -1/2 only vs PD, -1/2 only absorbs 1/2 of the attack damage, -1/2 OIF

Albedo Screen

????(I may just put a limit on lasers not affecting alb , -1/4 uses 1 END/minute, -1/2 uses 1 end for every 5 points of damage taken (rounded up), -1/2 OIF

Inertia Screen

Damage Reduction 50%R PD -1/4 uses 2 end every time it is hit, -1/2 OIF

Sonic Screen

1 ED FF -1 only vs Sonic attacks (with the sonic weapons built with the limitation of not working vs sonic screens),

Darkness (sound) No range, continuous, uncontrolled, +1/2 zero end

-1/4 uses 1 end/minute

-1/2 uses 2 end per hit

Sonic Disruptor

3d6 RKA (sonic) -1/4 Reduced by range

Sonic Stunner

3d6 +1 NND, +1/4 half endurance, -1/4 doesn't work vs sonic screens or anti shock implants.

Sonic Devastator

6d6 RKA -1/4 1/2 End, -1/2 Reduced by range (x2), -1/4 doesn't work vs sonic screens or anti shock implants.

• 2 weeks later...

Do you plan on including rafflur weapons in your weapons list?

(These are the proton weapons that were introduced in the Zebulon's Guide supplement

to the Star Frontiers game. According to the description in the book, rafflurs could

only use minipowerclips, as trying to use standard full-size powerclips would cause

the weapon(s) to explode. In addition, they could only fire a cone/fan-shaped blast --

basically, these things were particle-beam scatterguns.)

Major Tom 2009

I have been adding here and there. I would like my gaming group to play the Volturnus modules and that would give me the push to finish up the conversion.

I ran into a hiccup with the gyrojet weapons. After doing some research I found that in real life these are not very great weapons. I was thinking about making them a low-recoil weapon for lower G combat, perhaps keeping the damage the same as with a rifle and lowering the weight.

If you want to add conversions to this thread, feel free.

Do you plan on including rafflur weapons in your weapons list?

(These are the proton weapons that were introduced in the Zebulon's Guide supplement

to the Star Frontiers game. According to the description in the book, rafflurs could

only use minipowerclips, as trying to use standard full-size powerclips would cause

the weapon(s) to explode. In addition, they could only fire a cone/fan-shaped blast --

basically, these things were particle-beam scatterguns.)

Major Tom 2009

• 2 years later...

Nice work on the conversions. The extra BODY build for the defense suits reflects they way they worked in Star Frontiers very well, although if I were building from scratch in HERO I would probably build it as extra Armor with the Ablative limitation.

It has been years since I played Star Frontiers, but my recollection of gyrojet weapons were that they did a bit more damage than projectile weapons and they couldn't be used at short range (and they required a different weapon familiarity). I would probably build them just as RKAs with a custom limitation that they can't be used point blank. Since players are paying money for equipment, the exact value of the limitation isn't that critical.

Also, I like the idea of gyrojets having no recoil in zero G environments, although I don't remember that being much of an issue in Star Frontiers.

Thanks...after years of piddling with this it looks like I am finally running this game! Still have some details to work out, and a bone to throw at Arrgg. One thing that does kinda have me wondering.....breaking down the weapon classes for the ranged stuff.

I am thinking about putting gyros, slug throwers together...but should needlers be thrown into the same category?

If a person can shoot an assault rifle or slug thrower....shouldn't they be able to easily fire a laser pistol (which has no recoil)?

Depends on how closely you want to follow the original game. I never really understood why you needed a different weapon skill a large assortment of guns when they were all basically just guns. Realistically I might give energy weapons a +1 OCV to reflect that they don't have recoil. Or if you figure most of the ranged weapons don't have much recoil (gyrojets don't, and how much recoil do you have on a needler weapon?), maybe put a -1 OCV penalty on the slug throwers. So maybe WF:small arms would be fine, but you might break it out if you want it to be more granular

As for the gyrojet build, I went back and looked at the old rulebooks, and you could use them at point blank range, but they had range modifiers as though they were at short range (range catagories being PB, short, medium, and long, I think). So really all you need is a OCV penalty, only at point blank range, slap it on an RKA and you are good to go.

The other thing with lasers is that the would also probably have positive range modifiers because you don't have to deal with gravity affecting the trajectory in combat.

I have also wondered about weapons....that instead of energy types..instead do weapons types....Pistols/Rifles/Shotguns/Autofire.

Thoughts, anybody?

I agree with you for doing weapon types. You expect a pistol, etc, to work the same way (your stance, how you wield it), to be roughly the same no matter what comes out of it. So yeah I like the weapons type grouping. Thank you for the bone! (pulls bone close..gnaws on it and growls if anyone comes close).

I think this is the way I am going to do it...

5pts....+1 Small Arms (all types)

3pts.....+1 Weapon System (laser, slug thrower, etc)

3pts.....+1 Weapon Type (pistol, rifle/assault rife, shotgun)

You will need to buy a 1pt Weapon Familiarity for each system (laser, needler, etc).

Amazing what a run, in the heat of the day, will do to clear the mind.