Super useless

Crypt

Re: Super useless

Ever tried a Useless Champions campaign ?

some ideas here =>

http://superuseless.blogspot.com/

PS: do you know Hero Corp ? (a french tv show featuring several super peasants with really monthy_pythonesque super powers.)

I once ran a game inspired by the Legion of Substitute Heroes / Great Lakes Avengers. For those that are not familiar with them, they are groups of character perceived as "B-List" or misfit heroes that could not get into high profile superteams so they started their own. My players had alot of fun designing seemingly useless or bizarre powers and then striving to find creative ways to use them.

Just to be Ludicrous.....

I built these as a counter to the Clairvoyance issue on bases.

Windows: This power allows someone to see what is on the other side of the window for some vision based powers. Clarsentience(20), only to allow Some sight based senses (-1/4), only to show what is on the other side of the enclosed system (-1/2) No range (-1/2). 20 active points, 9 real.

GM thinks: 'this is over building in the Hero System rules, use common sense handwavium powers instead."

One game about 22 years ago (d@mn when did I get that old?)

The Crash Test Dummy 75% damage reduction (everything) 8rPD/8rED and 2 body regeneration. Easy to hurt a little....just a little though, liked pain. Actually was an animate test dummy

The Fro - think captain caveman but blacksploitation, Equipment VPP all low tech (street stuff--switchblades, afrocurl (change environment) etc)

The Coach -smelly gymshots wearing dude with a bullhorn and a whistle --aid and skill levels UBO.

I was a FUN game.

The thing with "useless" powers is that the people who have them have to be "useless" too. After all, Batman has the most "useless" power of them all - no power whatsoever.

Air Wave is the poster boy for "useless" powers - he could make a phone call from anywhere! That is, he invented the mobile phone in the 1940s! (And didn't need a huge network to support him, which is actually kind of neat.)

The thing is, of course, that he was otherwise essentially as competent a crimefighter as any other nonpowered crimefighter of the same period.

As for joke teams: I'm rather fond of the Inferior Five. At least a couple of them actually have "useful" powers, though - they're just offset by major limitations, like being as dumb as a post (Dumb Bunny), or unbelievably clumsy (Awkwardman).