Healing: Can Heal Limbs - Only 1 limb or multiple?

TheDux

NOTE: I only have my 5E book with me atm (grabbed wrong one on my way out, not sure if 5ER addresses this (boo for rushing out the door)).

This is purely out of curiosity. Lets say that Starfish Man loses 2 limbs (10 BODY per limb (20 for both)). When he finally gets enough cover to take the time to regenerate his limbs he rolls his 5d6 Healing (only to recover limbs) an get 20.

Does he regenerate both limbs or just 1?

If you have a page # to refrence for when I get back home, that would be great.

Re: Healing: Can Heal Limbs - Only 1 limb or multiple?

No actual rules on that one, but if I'm reading your post right he heals all the lost body so would re-grow both limbs.

If he'd only rolled 10 then it is a bit of a poser. It is not really logical that you would fully re-grow one limb but not re-grow the other at all. If you have assigned Body to individual limbs I'd (house) rule that you get back all limbs - but at reduced function: pro-rate the healing and then apply a STR and DEX penalty based on how many Body you still have to recover.

No actual rules on that one, but if I'm reading your post right he heals all the lost body so would re-grow both limbs.

FYI,

Healing vs. BODY & an effect roll of 20 = 10 BODY healed (or 40 END healed).

I'd just call it rather SFX-, game-, and GM-dependent. There's very little realism that can be applied here, and while there might be a little common sense that can take its place, such sense may be somewhat context-dependent. ;)

Do you heal each wound separately, or heal total Body lost? Is the healing magical, surgical, cybernetic, some kind of bacta tank type thing, or what? Is your game high on "realism"? Is it superheroic? Etc.

was it in 1 or 2 hits

if 1 both will grow back GM might want to give them each reduced capability

if 2 I would say 1 at a time with reduced capability if not brought up to 75% of lost body(each limb seperatly

Ok, since there seems to be no ruling (and this is hypothetical and my GMs want to see the build before making to ruling), I am going for each must be heal separately. I should have put more detail into my question though. SFX would be more or less...

Starfish Man and his team are facing off against the deadly Barbericaand her terrifying meat cleaver (5 foot massive blade resembling a butcher's meat cleaver). During the fight Starfish Man takes some devastating blows that leave on arm dangling by a skin, and his leg completely severed. His companions are able to get him to safety and hold off Barberica so he can attempt to regrow his limbs. Realizing that he cannot do much for the dangling arm, he chooses to sacrifice it and attempt to grow a new one. Through intense concentration and a large amount of energy, he is able to regenerate a new limb identical to the one before. Once both limbs are restored he is back in the fight.

FYI,

Healing vs. BODY & an effect roll of 20 = 10 BODY healed (or 40 END healed).

Your right, should have caught that.

As an additional note...

Wouldn't healing a limb in this fashion be a transform? You don't have the limb and you are adding it. Transforme No Arm into Arm. This sounds like a transform, but it is its own version of healing. I just find it interesting. Is this where we use the phrases "Theres more than one way to skin a cat/paint a barn"?

NOTE: These phrase might be a southern thing...some of you yanks might be confused.

NOTE: I do not condone skinning cats.

NOTE: I also do not condone physical labor such as painting a barn.

If you had the limb handy and still largely intact and, you know, fresh, I'd probably allow you to slap it back on, and do the healing thing to re-attach.

Also Starfish Man is better served by a form of regeneration, possibly slower than per turn, unless he is some sort of super starfish. I guess he is. Hmm.

That's probably not the point though, is it?

Presumably what we want to know is how we sort out the limb thing. The funny thing about Starfish Man is that if he lost ALL his limbs, by the Hero rules, he'd be dead.

Actually that is not that funny, thinking about it.

I mean, just a limbless starfish body, dead. That's not funny. What was I thinking?

Bah. Just save up 5 points and buy a few Extra. ;)

Anyway, if this is a Starfish Man thing (which sounds both in the superheroic and reality-light vein), I'd personally think it within reason to let him heal back both limbs at once if he rolled high enough. Or each in turn in the time it takes him to use the power the once, either way. Heh heh. But it's certainly something to run past your GM rather than taking our word for anything.

I didn't plan on actually building this character, but I did, passed it off to my GM as a "possible" character I would use in a game (using his guideline for the game).

For the SFX & the construction of the power, I would allow you to attempt to regen both limbs at once with a high enough roll. If you want to buy the power down you can take -1/2 Only One Limb or -1/4 One Limb @ Normal Heal, Second @ x1.5 to recover both on same roll. Meaning if each limb is 10 BODY, you will need 25 to recover both. If you add more BODY to the character I expect you to add some more dice if you take the second option. A failed roll to regen a limb will result in a weak limb, another attempt can strengthen the limb to normal. Because of the name I know that this is hypothetical, but I approve the build. Like the Starfish Duplication!

Well thats his ruling.