Mage limitation

AnotherSkip

A phisical Limitation for mages

5 Points: cannot cast spells while wearing armor with the Real Armor Limitation of 7 Def rating or higher

10 Points: cannot cast spells while wearing armor with the Real Armor Limitation of 5 Def rating or higher

15 Points: cannot cast spells while wearing armor with the Real Armor Limitation of 3 Def rating or higher

20 Points: cannot cast spells while wearing armor with the Real Armor Limitation of 1 Def rating or higher (Essentially a no Armor limitation).

This still allows the Bracers, Cloaks, Robes Etc.. but keeps the plate and chain off of the spell huckers

What do you guys think?

Looks good to me...I used to use an "allergy" limit on spell casters....i.e. allergic to iron/ferrus metals, but I did it as a double the difficulty mod minus 2 per ,rather than minus 1 per and a mandatory "upgrade" to Side effects (extra 30 points) so that the hero could cast in iron if'n they wanted ,but they just did not want too......

Re: Mage limitation

Originally posted by AnotherSkip

A phisical Limitation for mages

5 Points: cannot cast spells while wearing armor with the Real Armor Limitation of 7 Def rating or higher

10 Points: cannot cast spells while wearing armor with the Real Armor Limitation of 5 Def rating or higher

15 Points: cannot cast spells while wearing armor with the Real Armor Limitation of 3 Def rating or higher

20 Points: cannot cast spells while wearing armor with the Real Armor Limitation of 1 Def rating or higher (Essentially a no Armor limitation).

This still allows the Bracers, Cloaks, Robes Etc.. but keeps the plate and chain off of the spell huckers

What do you guys think?

I think the limtation works, but I also don't have a probelm finding 75+ points in disadvantages without it, so I don't know how motivated I would be to take the disadvantage.

On the flip side, if all spells require Gestures, or an RSR penalized for heavy armor, this could just be free points.

It's not bad, but I really don't see it as that useful in a fantasy hero campaign. If you want to rule that mages don't get to wear armor, or (as Hugh suggested) get a skill roll penalty for wearing it, I'd just build it into the ground rules for the campaign.

Your Game Your Rules.

Originally posted by OddHat

It's not bad, but I really don't see it as that useful in a fantasy hero campaign. If you want to rule that mages don't get to wear armor, or (as Hugh suggested) get a skill roll penalty for wearing it, I'd just build it into the ground rules for the campaign.

Your Game Your Rules.

I can see some use if you want different types of mages without making the spells more cost efficient. Buying a disadvantage would make elven mages or warrior-mages (say the lowest disadvantage) different from human wizards (the highest), or make clerics different than wizards.

If you make the armor usage a limitation on the actual spell, all the spells are limited while costing less. Doing it as a disadvantage doesn't change the costs of the spells, but still limits them (and the character gets a few points for what is basically a ground rule). It all depends on how you want things done.

The points for the disadvantages seem rather high, for a couple of reasons. One, even for a mage, spell casting is not something the mage does all the time. He has other skills, movement powers, weapons, and probably magical items that he can use when not casting spells. Second, a mage probably doesn't need armor usually- he probably has a spell or magic item that gives him armor. I just don't see the limitation of not being able to cast spells in armor being as limiting as, for example, being unable to walk (another 20-pt. physical limitation).

My preferred method, like many, is to put it as a standard limitation on the spell. Our rule is that any spell with gestures (and almost all have gestures) receives penalties to the magic skill roll based both on encumbrance and armor type. The latter rule is a house rule I made up to compensate for the fact that encumbrance is less limiting in 5th Ed. than 4th Ed. (Extra -1 for DEF 2-4, -2 for DEF 4-7, in addition to applicable encumbrance penalties.)

Of course, if you're talking about an NPC-only rule, then you don't have to worry about disadvantage costs really. I only give NPCs disadvantages that I think are interesting, rather than worrying about filling up all the points.