Undead PC's and Automaton

bigmack83

i am trying to build an Undead PC. He is converted over from another game where the PC takes no stun. The only way i can simulate this in HD is to build him as an Automaton. I would only use the Automaton framework to have access to the powers and do not need some of the other benefits (such as my character can still be affected by mental powers because he is free willed). But there is a problem

0 EGO

Could i bring his EGO back up to a 10 by buying it as a power and using a cost multiplier of 0?

If i only build using an automaton template and not take the other benefits of automatons so i can use the takes no stun and does not bleed powers does this sound reasonable?

Along with these I do also have various LS powers such as immortal, immunities, Sleep/Breathing/Eating, and so on. We are using 5ER rules along with the HD to build the PC's and have most of the books between me and the GM.

Re: Undead PC's and Automaton

Automaton powers are currently prohibited from PC use, so presumably your GM has OK'd the use? If so he may well be willing to let you have a normal starting EGO (10) and allow you to be affected by mental powers.

There are various other ways you can make a character almost stun-proof, and having seen the build on the other thread you posted, I think you probably spotted them :)

Oooh - how appropriate: this is my 9990th post: Cowboy Time!

Ah ok. I didnt find anything that directly said the those powers were not available for PC use. And yes ive been able to subdue a good amount of stun effects with the current build. I just wasnt sure of a leginimate way to have no stun. THanks

You could agree with your GM on an appropriate price for Takes No STUN for a PC. It's quite a bonus for a PC, so it probably will end up as a serious investment.

You could also simply buy up defenses with the Limitation "Only vs STUN Damage". Talk to your GM about what would be enough to make your character effectively immune to STUN damage. Note that this is tricky. You'll need to buy up physical, energy, mental, and power defenses . . . and you'll still be vulnerable to NND and AVLD attacks unless your GM has agreed to waive them!

It might be helpful to go through the second method in order to appropriately price the first.

Yes i think just good defenses is the route im going to take as the defenses after taking takes no stun are too expensive to fit the character. Also looking at it logically and in general how things fit the character it feels to me that it would work out better like this. Im still working a few kinks out to make sure everything works properly and feels right for the character and not just because i can do it

I have played around with automaton powers for PCs a few times (for example, duplicates can be automatons within the rules). The problem we always ran into was that being knocked out is sometimes a necessary part of the game. When the GM is forced to use BODY damage to give you a challenge, you are often 1 or 2 bad rolls from being dead. If the GM doesn't like this possibility, he will be forced to use things like entangles and adjustment powers over and over again which may not be as fun for you. At the very least, you may want to invest in regeneration with resurrection so you don't accidentally get killed.

For the sake of defending fun, I would consider imitating the automaton powers with other powers so that the GM's hands aren't tied in some circumstances. For example:

Cannot be Stunned/ Takes No Stun: 75% Damage Reduction STUN only, is pretty close but still allows the GM to harm you without risking killing you. Remember you need at least some resistant PD and ED to apply Resistant Damage Reduction to the STUN of Killing Attacks.

Does Not Bleed: Regeneration or a build involving Persistent, Self Only and Paramedics with do the trick.

No Hit Locations: If you are playing with Hit Locations, this one is a little harder to imitate. A clunky but workable build would be a second Damage Reduction, 50% only to offset Hit Location Damage, but this power won't stack with the first Damage Reduction. Sometimes in place of a second Damage Reduction (as they don't stack anyway) I take a heap of the Resistance talent. If the campaign is using the wounding rules this will provide some immunity to pain effects and automatons should be nearly impossible to Interrogate anyway.

Life Support is of course available.

Selling back your END to zero and taking 0 END for eveything or an END Reserve is also not a problem.

0 EGO, 0 INT, Immunity to Mental and PRE attacks, No Everyman Skills: Unless you are playing a mindless character (I would question the fun in this but to each his own), you can ignore these. If you would like to retain some elements of the above, these are easy to imitate using Mental Damage Reduction or Mental Defense and extra PRE Only for Defense.

I hope something in the above helps.

Thanks Doc

after reviewing the information and the effects on the character building it as an automaton ive come to the conclusion i wont build him as such and will go the higher defenses route. Not that I wouldnt mind doesnt take stun, but the defensive cost change and the other penalties such as having a lot less points for the character limits some of the other important aspects of the character related to the campaign and hist history.

@Doc in regards to the healing, i am using the regeneration rules with heals limbs and resurrection to prevent from being completely killed (other than the specified way to actually kill him. but thats GM only info :D as other players read the forums). As with damage resistances im just going to keep them as is to protect stun and body. One of the primary ideas for the PC is that he can also take killing damage as well along with stun without being too hurt (i'd rather keep it like this instead of takes no stun now that i read everyones replies).

As it stands the only power that takes END is my FF power which he can use 2 times before he is at critically low END so its very tiring to use.

Thanks for all of your replies. Its much appreciated

We've gotten round the 'no automata' rules in the past by building the character as a useless squidgy brain/other vital component that pilots an anthropomorphic vehicle. We had one once that looked like a metal dog: Cerberus. He was great. There's no reason a vehicle should not look like a western gunslinger.