Power Framework Question

jgwilson

I am tring to build a Phaser From Star Trek and I want to use an Endurance Reserve to represent the Phaser's Battery with the (-2) Limitation: Only Recovers when In Charger. I know that the Phaser has setting to designrate, kill, stun, cut, etc. What would be your advise on the best way to handle this gadget?

Jonathan Wilson

jgwilson@charter.net

I don't have Star Hero at hand to see how Steve did it, but this sounds like a Multipower to me. Make each of the phaser settings an utra slot in the MP with the "Uses END Reserve" option, then put the Phaser Battery END Reserve outside the MP with your -2 limitation.

Personally, though, I think I'd build it with Charges to keep things simple and (probably) save some points. See the rules on putting Charges on a Power Framework in FREd.

Cheers!

Ben

Originally posted by jgwilson

Well I have 2 problems with these ideas:

1. I do not have a copy of Star Hero, only 5th Edition Core rules.

2. Eodin's website is not found when I try to go there.

Jonathan

FWIW, I was just at Eodin's website (10:15 AM) via the link in the first post of the aforementioned thread. The website seemed to be functioning properly, and I was able to download the Trek Hero PDF with no problem.

You don't really need Star Hero to understand the construct. The great thing about the Hero System is that everything you need is in the core rules, and all the genre books are just ideas for bringing out the best of each genre.

I'm not having any trouble with Eodin's website, but in case you still are when you try again, I'll give you the quick and dirty run-down on how he did the hand phaser.

Each setting is a mixture of standard effect dice (ie they always count as rolling a 3) and regular rolled dice. Light stun is 7d6 standard (ie 21) plus 2d6 regular EB Stun only. Medium stun is 10d6 + 2d6, Heavy is 13d6 + 2d6, both Stun only. Each of these also has a wide angle option (area effect cone). The heat setting is 1d6 standard + 1d6 regular RKA. Disrupt is 3d6 + 1d6 RKA, Disintegrate is 6d6 + 2d6 RKA. Overload is a 3d6 RKA explosion which destroys the weapon. All of this is built as a multipower with 180 END and 1 REC which recovers when plugged into a Federation charger.

Larger versions of the phaser have more END and better OCV and RMods.

Hope this helps some. And of course, all credit for this construct goes to Eodin. You should try checking out his website again. That PDF is really good.

Another CLASSIC TREK Phaser Construction

Pistol Phaser from CLASSIC Star Trek

30 .. 60-point Multipower Reserve, OAF: Phaser Pistol

3u .. Stun: 12d6 EB, Stun Only, OAF: Phaser Pistol

3u .. Kill: 4d6 RKA, OAF: Phaser Pistol, No Knockback [sFX: Anything reduced to -(Full Body Value) is considered disintegrated - completely gone.]

3u .. Heat: 2 1/2d6 RKA, Penetrating, OAF: Phaser Pistol, No Knockback, Max Range = 10"

1u .. Overload: 8d6 EB, Explosion, OAF: Phaser Pistol, 1 Charge, Use Destroys Weapon (and one power pack but not "extra" power packs - see below), Range Based on STR, Makes Annoying Warning Sound Before Detonation (+1 to Dive-for-Cover rolls) [sFX: Can Make Annoying Warning Sound For Up To One Minute Without Detonation At Character's Option]

2 .. No recoil: +1 OCV w/Phaser Pistol, OAF: Phaser Pistol

8 .. Endurance Reserve: 120 END, OIF: Hand Phaser / Power Pack

Special Effect: One Hand Phaser / Power Pack is in the Phaser Pistol to start. A fresh one can be swapped in using the same rules for changing clips. A Hand Phaser can also be used alone; it is identical to a Phaser Pistol but does not have the +1 OCV (it's awkward to hold and aim even through it has no recoil) and uses twice as much Endurance per shot, but it is easily concealable. The Hand Phasers / Power Packs recharge "at the ship" and for game purposes can be assumed to be an "overnight charge" when "plugged in" if that ever becomes important.

Total Cost: 68

Emailed TNGHero.pdf

Thanks for the kind words folks! :D

John sent me an email asking me to send him the Trek PDF, so I sent the TNGHero.pdf. That version uses charges for the phaser writeup.

Now that I'm reading this thread, John, the TrekHero.pdf (based on the Original Series) has a writeup for the phaser using an END Reserve instead of Charges. If you can't access the website and want a copy of that pdf, let me know and I'll email that to you as well.

Heat

There are many ways you can represent heat: Change Environment, Transform, or even Life Support as Steve did for his Multipurpose Energy Weapon in Star Hero, page 154. And that's the beauty of the system, multiple ways to write up an effect to get just what you want (or as close as possible).

In my opinion, the heat is a special effect. If you put a piece of rock in a fire for a few minutes, you get a warm/hot rock. The fire is an attack (EB or RKA), but the special effect of the attack causes heat without destroying the rock because of the DEF of the rock and it's composition. If I energize the molecules of a rock by shooting it with a phaser, but don't do enough damage to bypass the DEF of the rock, it's going to heat up, and voila, warmth for a period of time, based on how much energy I pumped into that rock. So I don't feel that an extra slot for "heat" is needed. But keep in mind that's me, and I don't have a problem (usually) with the special effects on the environment. Your experience may differ!