What Skills/Perks/Talents would make sense for a God?

fbdaury

Of the pantheon variety, of course.

Statting out a Thor for my own campaign world and not based on the Marvel version but I was wondering what perks/skills/talents you all would throw on ther- he's already huge so points are no real factor/consideration. Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Re: What Skills/Perks/Talents would make sense for a God?

Reputation.

Vehicle: His chariot. Don't forget Life Support: Need not Eat (he cooks the goats that draw it and eats them, and then resurrects them the next day to continue travelling.)

Or maybe the goats constitute Followers?

If you care to, you could write up His hall. He has a seperate residence from Odin's Valhalla.

Talents might include Fearless, Lightning Reflexes, and maybe Universal Translator. If you don't want Gods to just automatically have Universal Translator, maybe have it limited to prayers, blessings, curses, or other invocations of Himself, and be sure to include appropriate languages under Skills. Definitely including Literacy: Runes.

Maybe an Environmental Movement to disregard storms other weather phenomena.

Skills would include all manner of Viking, Norse, or just plain warrior skills.

Probably Traveller, because there'd be a number of area and culture Knowledges. Basically, everywhere He's been worshipped and every folk who have worshipped Him, right up to modern international Asatru, plus of course Asgard, Vanaheim, etc.

Knowledge skills pertaining to (Norse) mythology, history, Jotuns, weather.

Riding, Survival (Marine, Temperate, Arctic, Yggdrasil, etc,) Tracking, Combat Pilot (Chariot, Longboat,) Paramedic (believe it or not He was invoked for medical problems sometimes,) Navigation (Sea, Land, between the Eight Worlds,) Power Skill: Thunder God Powers, Analyze: Weather Conditions, any skills you'd give a barbarain warrior such as probably Stealth, Climbing, Concealment, and of course a lot of Combat Skills - especially with Mjolnir.

Lucius Alexander

But not Animal Handler: Palindromedary

Thanks for the suggestion- I had already put in the Chariot as vehicle and goats as seperate followers. I went non UT and gave him linguist and a number of language skills. I am not sure how many places he would have been worshipped though... hmmm. Something to think about- thanks again.

Thanks for the suggestion- I had already put in the Chariot as vehicle and goats as seperate followers. I went non UT and gave him linguist and a number of language skills. I am not sure how many places he would have been worshipped though... hmmm. Something to think about- thanks again.

Scandinavia could be regarded as the "heartland" of his worshippers. Iceland, if I'm not mistaken, never did actually completely ban worship of the Old Gods (the rule was just "not in public.") Greenland had a Norse colony for centuries, what is now Canada did for a shorter time. In the Age of Migrations the Germanic tribes pretty much overran all Europe and right into North Africa, and even though by that point most of them were at least nominally Christian (Arian, usually) there were surely some holdouts among them at that date. Later, Viking adventurers established themselves throughout Russia and Eastern Europe, and the Varangians who served the Byzantine Emperors left runic graffiti as far afield as Greece. Nowadays of course you can probably find at least some Asatru anywhere that you can find descendents of Scandinavians (not that all Asatru are descendents of Scandinavians or even remotely Germanic. Thor and Odin care a lot less about bloodlines and "ethnicity" than some people want to think.)

I do think some kind of Limited Universal Translator (only for prayers, etc) is a good idea for any Deity - somehow it seems to me that a God should know when He's being prayed to and what the prayer is about.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary wonders if this is a good time to bring up that Lucius wrote up Hagar the Horrible.

Thanks for the assistance, finished my world's Thor- 1430 points of sickness. The ideas were greatly appreciated as many of them I would not have thought of and have been added into the completed write-up. I'm sure I couls have padded this more but I don't think there is any reason to as I like this finished product quite a bit.

Well, I tend to paper and pencil my characters to start most times, but if I manage to get him typed out I think I could post him here, it just might take af ew days to complete though.