The Unending City

Nolgroth

After playing Thief: Deadly Shadows for a short while, I had an inspiration to run a fantasy game set entirely within a vast city filled with mysteries, hidden streets and nooks, and countless ages of forgotten history.

While I am not using HERO to run the game, I really like the setting and will post what I can that is system agnostic here for anyone to use if they like. A lot of what I have is simply variations on traditional themes and concepts. Anyway, here is what I have so far. I've put it into PDF format so my players can download it tomorrow.

This is still very much a work in progress. Please feel free to comment and critique. While the nature of the city does not lend itself to a concrete map of the whole, I'll also be posting whatever localized maps I create for public consumption. I am using MapTool to run the game so most (if not all) of the maps will be designed with that in mind.

-James

Re: The Unending City

May actually do so at some point. Today is the "going live" day of the setting and I just wanted to give the players a taste of the setting. Wanted some Bad Things, some Good Things, and some Uh...Where Does That Stand things.

Thanks for the suggestion.

They are indeed coming. I have a map style I am going to emulate from Cartographers Guild. Game logs are going to be a wee bit later in coming. The day that we did play, it was a late start and I had to cancel yesterday morning. Hopefully next Friday I have a timely relief.

I am presently using the Shadowrun 3rd edition as a base for the rules. Much of my time has been spent coding macros. Let me tell you that has been one of the most grueling parts of the set up.

More later. Thanks for the interest.

• 3 weeks later...

Thief DS is one of my favorite settings.The mood is awesome, the design of the place is both creepy and fascinating. Myself I'd use the soundtrack as much as I could during the game, but then I get a lot of inspiration from music.

It would be fun if you could share video to use FRAPS to grab a few set pieces, background conversations, etc. from the game to set the mood. It's a bit cheesy, but I get a kick out of them. I keep finding new ones I missed before. :)

Had I plenty of time, I'd grab as many of them as I could and then use them as interludes. You could share them beforehand or put them on YouTube or what-have-you.

Pretty cool stuff, Nolgroth. It rather reminds me of the Hero Universe's extra-dimensional realm of Babylon, the City of Man, a fusion of all the great cities of Earthly history, real or fictional, as modern man remembers or imagines them to be (as described in The Mystic World).

• 2 weeks later...

I wonder if anyone's ever published some sort of modular maps for such an unending city. I know the concept has been explored before (Nexus: The Infinite City comes to mind), but I can't recall having seen any kind of cartographical play aids.

Might get some use out of the old Lankhmar city tiles, though they're kind of specialized...