Starting over with HERO

Ok, the last time I played seriously with HERO System was 4th edition. I've just convinced myself (well, my players had a lot to do with it) to go back to HERO System...

And I really need to be pointed to two things:

1. Is there a good, detailed reference of changes between 4th and 5th editions?

2. What's the difference between the original 5th edition, and the revised 5th edition.

Just some links would be enough. I attempted some pretty pathetic google and found some links to locations that no longer exist (sigh...)

So, I'd appreciate some assistance. And, I see the 6th edition discussion, but I think my new game will start before that...

Re: Starting over with HERO

I can answer number 2: Precious Little

As for the 6E thing, I'd almost recommend waiting for it. There are going to be some pretty significant changes that while they aren't earth shattering, they may invalidate some of the character builds that you come up with.

6E will be released at GenCon so it's only about 2 months away at this point.

But, there will certainly be many more posts to this that will be far more helpful than I can be, since I only really got serious about HERO with 5E/5ER.

But I can say welcome to the greatest game system and the friendliest game forum around.

Yes, the changes between 4E, 5E, and 5ER are pretty much trivial. Offhand the major ones are:

Healing is split off from Aid, and Regen is a limited form of Healing.

Instant Change is now Transform (clothes to costume).

The extended Defensive Maneuver from 4E Ninja Hero has been made standard.

Find Weakness is a power.

There is a new advantage called Megascale, that allows you to build powers with ranges or areas of effect measured not in 2m hexes, but kilometers - even tens or hundreds of thouands of kilometers!

There are more changes, those are just the ones that spring to mind. By and large, 5ER is essentially the same as 4E.

6E looks to be making a few significant changes though. Right now we have confirmed that:

"Figured" characteritics will no longer be figured from "Primary" Characteristics. Now all characteristics will be bought up from a base level that is the same for everyone.

COM is gone, replaced by an 'Attractive' talent.

Elemental Controls are gone, replaced by a "Unified Power" limitation.

BTW, welcome back to HEROs! :D

Yes it is. Steve mentioned it in his chat last Wed.

But understand that it is only for the STUN of the attack. :)

Wow. That's an interesting change. I'd love to know Steve's reasoning on this. (I don't necessarily disagree with the change; I'd just like to know how and why he arrived at this particular conclusion).

He chose that change to make Killing attacks simpler for new players to learn.

I'm overall cool with it, although now that Killing attacks do less STUN on average (granted Increased STUN Multiplier still exists AFAIK), that whole "need minimum 1 rDEF to defend against STUN damage" thing would have been a handy balancing factor.