Simulcasting?

Yamo

In the campaign I'm planning, all spells require Gestures and Incantations. However, some skilled wizards can "simulcast" two spells at once by weaving the Gestures and Incantations from each together just right. It can be any two spells, provided they both take the same amount of time to cast, but all the individual spells still require Gestures and Incantations and characters can't legally activate multiple Powers with Gestures and Incantations at the same time. Ideas? I would prefer "by-the-book" game-legal methods, of course.

Thanks.

Hmmm, I guess that would work with these newfangled "multiple power attacks." Don't use'em myself, nossir, sure don't. I think they're bogus.

But if I did use them then I agree, my first inclination would be to make a custom "combinable" version of Gestures & Incantations. However, every time I propose that kind of custom modifier on these boards, I get hit with calls that they're not "by the book" or "convention-safe." So I've become skittish. ;)

-AA

Combined...

I would just hand wave it, myself (no pun intended, of course). I would let the characters do it, but their magic roll for BOTH spells is -1 per 10 AP cast during that phase. This should balance out any gain from the combined spells, and would show the increased difficulty of doing two spells at once. I also might combine it into a single spell roll, at the characters option so they either fail both or succeed both.

- Ernie

Originally posted by austenandrews

Hmmm, I guess that would work with these newfangled "multiple power attacks." Don't use'em myself, nossir, sure don't. I think they're bogus.

But if I did use them then I agree, my first inclination would be to make a custom "combinable" version of Gestures & Incantations. However, every time I propose that kind of custom modifier on these boards, I get hit with calls that they're not "by the book" or "convention-safe." So I've become skittish. ;)

-AA

Even "by the book", Gestures at -1/4 requires only one hand, and there's no indication how long they, or Incantations, have to take. I see no reason you can't (or have to, by contrast) rule that two at once is possible.

Maybe make them pay for a skill a la Two Weapon Fighting to be able to keep the two properly segregated.

Originally posted by austenandrews

However, every time I propose that kind of custom modifier on these boards, I get hit with calls that they're not "by the book" or "convention-safe." So I've become skittish. ;)

No custom Limitation is ever wrong -- Limited Power covers everything. (Of course, you have to value it right. :)) Custom Advantages are a different matter altogether.

Buy all spells that can be "woven" with a Variable Limitation (-¼): Either Gestures and Incantations, or Requires Skill Roll: Spell Weaving. When the character is trying to weave the two spells, he gets to skip any rule prohibiting the casting of two spells with gestures and incantations, as long as the skill roll is made. Further, the character should follow all the rules of multiple power attacks.

Also, I think technically, the rule on gestures and incantations is that a character cannot use a second power with gestures or incantations while maintaining a power with constant incantations (or extra time). I don't think it would prevent the use of two instant powers, unless they required extra time.