Super Mage for Comment

OddHat

Some valid comments here Hugh. Thanks. I'll address them one at a time and am glad to get feedback,

Originally posted by Hugh Neilson

Presumably, the lack of limitations of your first spell is an oversight. A few other spells don’t have the full –1 listed. I wouldn’t have a problem treating them as variable in any case, but I probably wouldn’t allow carte blanche on limitations available.

Yup. Any spells without limits listed get the standard skill roll plus side effects. The limitations permitted are RSR, Concentration (only used when it's a real limit), extra time (ditto), increased endurance cost, and limits unique to specific powers.

RSR seems to have a negligible effect on your levels thanks to the -1 per 20 active points. Even activated all at once, that will only fail on 17 or 18. Your spells will activate on a 19- (16- to activate two at once). It doesn't seem very limiting to me. Granted, you're only getting -1/4, but that's all you would get for a straight 15- activation roll.

House rule. Levels can't be applied to the skill roll that activates them.

What prevents him from activating the levels, 40 points at a time, first thing in the morning, then keeping them up all day?

House rule again. Uncontrolled continuous powers that don't cost end last for one scene, or until deactivated by outside forces as per the book (a dispell in all cases, being hit in the case of the DCV levels, the platform being hit in the case of the flight spell).

That’s also, conveniently, enough to cover the –1 limitations required of your spells. Maybe if every power up affected the skill roll, but when all you need is a 16 or less to succeed, I see very little limitation to justify half price powers.

I don't agree here, but I see where you're coming from. He can't boost the skill roll with levels from the VPP, and a blown skill roll has a valid side effect.

Overall, you have a 13 DCV (activating only the DCV levels; basically automatic as it's on 18-), potentially as high as 19 with the overall levels, and defenses over 35. I don't know how high powered your campaign is, but this would be quite excessive in mine. Yes, it requires half the VPP, but I anticipate seeing force field + one attack in most cases.

This is valid, and I'm still thinking about it. He has a low CON and Stun, and I see him as going down and out once he does get hit, especially as his DCV drops dramatically after that first shot gets through. I may drop the force field and try to get more points together for some kind of boost to body so that a shot that hits him isn't an instant kill. I don't want him trading blows much once hit; not in the genre. I'll also be dropping the Armor of Avalon slot.

You basically end up with a 9 Speed, quite high in my opinion. The common limiting factor, END, seems pretty easily overcome with a 220 point END reserve. It does appear that few of your powers are mental in nature, however (maybe that was meant to say “magicalâ€, in which case it’s not much of a limit at all).

6 speed, not 9, though he might boost it with the VPP. 3 for any action, 3 for Ego powers. In the setting he's designed for it fits, though I agree (natch) that no character can be allowed to exceed campaign limits.

He will spend a lot of END, but he looks well able to last over two full turns, and even if he runs out, he just slaps on the Aid (short term) or increased REC (long term).

True there. I'll drop the REC boost. The Aid is for spells, and isn't meant to work on the END bat.

Considering how rarely the side effects are going to happen, my initial thought is that a total -1 limitation is probably excessive. Summoning a 300 point demon, given the power level of the character in question, doesn’t seem all that limiting in any case, even if its first thought would be to attack your character. From your description, your intent is that it goes its merry way (although, presumably, you would be under some moral obligation to deal with it). If I were to allow this limitation, as a GM, my Demons would be drafted to be at least as point-efficient as the character summoning them, and crafted to be a viable threat to your character. Otherwise, there’s no significant limitation here.

Partially disagreed here, but only because I think you're misreading the intent. First, it's a -3/4 limit, not a -1; the other -1/4 comes from the skill roll. The Demons and other effects should be as effective as the GM chooses to maje them.The Demons are under the GMs controll and can attack the PC, his friends, or innocent people. That is a significant limit in my view. The "does not directly affect character" aspect of the limit reflects the freedom of the entity to do as it likes; the characters psych limits ensure that he doesn't cheerfully let it run off on its merry way. Releasing a supernatural serial killer is not a casual thing for a character who Must Protect Innocents and Must Oppose Supernatural Evil.

I believe Aid on a power framework must first raise the pool, then the individual powers. The +2 advantage would allow you to hit all the spells at the same time, but I don’t believe the VPP itself is a “spellâ€.

This is another tough one. The +2 is there specifically to allow the Aid to raise the Pool limit and the spell being cast. I thought about a +1/2 defined as "Aids Pool and Any one Spell", but that seemed low. The goal was to allow the character to perform an extended ritual for access to major spells not normally available for 60 active points. It does come close to violating another house rule (Aids can't Aid themselves), but it isn't meant to build a stepping stone Aid power.

Thanks for the feedback.

Originally posted by Broblawsky

Hey, what exactly IS the Side Effect? It doesn't say at all on any of the powers.

The default side effect is a summon for demons and extra-dimensional entities. It's also GM option for (-0), which I'll include on the sheet. Any 60 point effect the GM feels is appropriate or would advance the story basically, with the "affects environment" modifier reducing its value but granting the character some breathing room.

On the plus side:

In a way it's unfortunate that Hero Designer lists your spell-based skill levels in the combat information section as it makes it look like you have purchased them separately in addition to your VPP, but I don't believe that's the case. It seems to me after a closer examination that you only have access to one of those sets of skill levels at a time (i.e. each set takes up a VPP slot.) I believe the intention is that they would have to be activated at the beginning of a scene, not at the beginning of the day, and would only remain up for that scene, the same as any other spell.

The same holds for the SPD. If you look at the amount the character has actually paid for SPD, you will notice that he only bought a base 3 SPD, but that Hero Designer added in the extra SPD purchased afterwards, so he really has 6 SPD not 9 SPD. Still, since pretty much all your powers derive from the VPP, Hugh is right that the -1/2 lim on the extra SPD is debatable. I had a similar question come up concerning a mentalist, and wound up changing the lim on the SPD to something else as a result.

I don't think a 300-pt. Demon summoned as a side effect would be likely to go its merry way. It would almost certainly go after (a) Style's allies/other PCs, and (B) innocent bystanders first thing. If it does wander off or teleport away, you can bet it's off to wreak havoc somewhere else, and that it will be clear who's responsible for it being around. To be treated as a limitation, it must do something that Style would not want to have happen.

On the minus side:

I don't particularily care for skills in power frameworks, especially VPPs. It's far too easy to get any skill in the book that way. I wouldn't allow Snake's Tongue.

Regarding your uncontrolled DCV skill levels, I don't think I really like that construct. A better way to do it would be to buy a 60 AP spell giving you +20 DEX, only to calculate DCV (-1). Or, +20 DEX, no figured characteristics (-1/2). This has the advantage of letting you know when you're approaching campaign maxima regarding Dex/CV, and avoids the 13 DCV + 35+ defense problem Hugh mentioned. For that matter, I wouldn't allow anything with Uncontrolled/0 END, including Flight Sphere and Sigil of Protection.

Hugh is correct that the skill roll seems awfully high; basically you only fail on an 18 so long as you don't overdo things, even in combat. That's worth a -0 lim in my book. When you recall that most skills (including power skills) don't actually require rolls when exercised in non-stressful situations, this is a very efficient construct, but there needs to be a measurable chance for the skill to fail in stressful situations or there's no real limitation.

EDIT: I see that Oddhat has already replied to some of this as I was constructing my post, but most of it is still relevant.

It seems like this character would draw a signifigant amonut of attention from the GM during most times. I'm just curious as to the campaign setting. It seems that in a more basic super-team style campaign, it would be hard for this guy to share the spotlight, especially given the somewhat dramatic side effects (but, at the same time, those only happen, what 3% of the time?).

As for a character who is the spotlight, I think this guy would be pretty appropriate (picture a game based on a comic like Ghost Rider). These things are always my concerns when I see a character with a VPP. I personally don't like running a game with a VPP in the party, only because it eats time from the game. VPP's in NPCs are a lot easier, IMO, unless the GM gets distracted.

I would say one thing, though: The guy is not focus-based, but gets a ton of mileage from Lims that will rarely affect him. :-/

Thanks for your comments Zed. I'll respond below.

Originally posted by Zed-F

On the plus side:

In a way it's unfortunate that Hero Designer lists your spell-based skill levels in the combat information section as it makes it look like you have purchased them separately in addition to your VPP, but I don't believe that's the case. It seems to me after a closer examination that you only have access to one of those sets of skill levels at a time (i.e. each set takes up a VPP slot.) I believe the intention is that they would have to be activated at the beginning of a scene, not at the beginning of the day, and would only remain up for that scene, the same as any other spell.

This is correct.

The same holds for the SPD. If you look at the amount the character has actually paid for SPD, you will notice that he only bought a base 3 SPD, but that Hero Designer added in the extra SPD purchased afterwards, so he really has 6 SPD not 9 SPD. Still, since pretty much all your powers derive from the VPP, Hugh is right that the -1/2 lim on the extra SPD is debatable. I had a similar question come up concerning a mentalist, and wound up changing the lim on the SPD to something else as a result.

Valid point here. I'm still thinking about it. The +3 SPD is limited in that he can only use EGO powers (Telepathy, Ego Attack, MC, etc.) on those phases. On the other hand some of the arguments against that kind of restriction hold weight. I may change it to a simple Speed 5, or maybe use an IAF "Serpent Staff" or some such and keep the SPD 6.

I don't think a 300-pt. Demon summoned as a side effect would be likely to go its merry way. It would almost certainly go after (a) Style's allies/other PCs, and (B) innocent bystanders first thing. If it does wander off or teleport away, you can bet it's off to wreak havoc somewhere else, and that it will be clear who's responsible for it being around. To be treated as a limitation, it must do something that Style would not want to have happen.

Agreed.

On the minus side:

I don't particularily care for skills in power frameworks, especially VPPs. It's far too easy to get any skill in the book that way. I wouldn't allow Snake's Tongue.

Valid point there. All of those are everyman skills, and I wanted a super-persuasion skill that didn't use mind controll. The spell was insired by some items in the FH Grimore play test. I'll think about other ways to achieve the effect.

Regarding your uncontrolled DCV skill levels, I don't think I really like that construct. A better way to do it would be to buy a 60 AP spell giving you +20 DEX, only to calculate DCV (-1). Or, +20 DEX, no figured characteristics (-1/2). This has the advantage of letting you know when you're approaching campaign maxima regarding Dex/CV, and avoids the 13 DCV + 35+ defense problem Hugh mentioned. For that matter, I wouldn't allow anything with Uncontrolled/0 END, including Flight Sphere and Sigil of Protection.

Design philosophy difference here, but a valid point. I'll think about switching the Uncontrolled powers back to running off the END bat.

Hugh is correct that the skill roll seems awfully high; basically you only fail on an 18 so long as you don't overdo things, even in combat. That's worth a -0 lim in my book. When you recall that most skills (including power skills) don't actually require rolls when exercised in non-stressful situations, this is a very efficient construct, but there needs to be a measurable chance for the skill to fail in stressful situations or there's no real limitation.

I disagree somewhat here, but I'll think it over. In the first phase of combat the character will be rolling a 16 or less as he brings up his powers, risking 120 points of side effects if he blows it. Each of his combat spells carries a small but real risk of failure to activate and accompanying side effects. Also, penalties to the skill roll can and probably will be applied at the GM's discretion. On the other hand, the 16 or less may be too much; I might apply a -0 limit stating that the skill roll can never be better than 15 or less, with the rest of the skill only used to offset penalties.

Thanks for the feedback.

Originally posted by ch0wyunf47

I would say one thing, though: The guy is not focus-based, but gets a ton of mileage from Lims that will rarely affect him. :-/

This is worth thinking about. I think his limits will affect him about as often as the average power armor / gunman / gadgeteer's limits will show up. They are intended to.

Originally posted by OddHat

Some valid comments here Hugh. Thanks. I'll address them one at a time and am glad to get feedback,

Yup. Any spells without limits listed get the standard skill roll plus side effects. The limitations permitted are RSR, Concentration (only used when it's a real limit), extra time (ditto), increased endurance cost, and limits unique to specific powers.

I'm surprised Gestures and Incantations aren't on the list, since these are classic mage limitations.

I had a similar VPP in mind at one time, and posted to Steve how Variable Limitations affect costs in a VPP. His answer was you could either have variable limits on the VPP poiwer or specify them, but either way the "real cost" was applied as Variable Limitations. I would agree that, if the limits are set and can't be readily changed (either becuase each power has specified limits, or becuase there's no guarantee of being able to change the pool), the real cost should be computed with the total limits. After all, an OIF gadget pool can hold a power with an OAF, and get the full +1 limit.

House rule. Levels can't be applied to the skill roll that activates them.

I was looking at the skill levels. +4 DCV (20 pts) and +6 Overall Levels (60 pts) together impose -4 on your skill roll, which leaves 18- based on your 22- start. Unless your 22- includes some skill levels you have to activate, but I don't see that. 17 pioints for 22- looks like the right total to me.

I don't agree here, but I see where you're coming from. He can't boost the skill roll with levels from the VPP, and a blown skill roll has a valid side effect.

My concern here is how often the skill roll will fail. Unless I'm missing the point, I would expect him to activate his DCV levels and force field immediately (70 AP). At the same time, he can activate 3 Overall levels (30 AP), and he will succeed on a 17- (less than 1/2 of 1% fail rate). He now has solid defenses and DCV 13 - 16, depending on how you allocate the overall levels.

Next phase, he'll use a mental attack (60 AP,; 19- roll; better if the overall levels go in; again, fails only on an 18). Next phase, he can activate his remaining 3 levels (30 AP), his OCV levels (40 AP) and an attack power (60 AP) at a -7 or -8 to the Skill Roll. That's 14-, so apply the three active overall skill levels activated previously, and it's 17- again. From there on in, it's only a -3 (-6 to activate two pool powers). I don't see much chance of failure.

Now he has 13 DCV, 9 OCV and 6 overall levels to go wherever he wants, ignoring anything in the pool itself.

If you capped the skill roll at 15-, I could see the 1/4 limitation, the same as for 15- activation. I don't see much liklihood this character will ever need to roll 14 or lower.

This is valid, and I'm still thinking about it. He has a low CON and Stun, and I see him as going down and out once he does get hit, especially as his DCV drops dramatically after that first shot gets through. I may drop the force field and try to get more points together for some kind of boost to body so that a shot that hits him isn't an instant kill. I don't want him trading blows much once hit; not in the genre. I'll also be dropping the Armor of Avalon slot.

He's got some regeneration. What about swapping the Force Field for Damage Reduction? He'd only take half damage from attacks that connect, giving him a shot at recovery, but still hit hard if someone does connect.

6 speed, not 9, though he might boost it with the VPP. 3 for any action, 3 for Ego powers. In the setting he's designed for it fits, though I agree (natch) that no character can be allowed to exceed campaign limits.

[oldtimer rant ON] In MY day we did our characters on PAPER! Newfangled computers! And we had to walk five miles in the snow to game. Uphill all the way. BOTH WAYS! [end oldtimer rant] That's my misread of HeroMaker. And if the intent is only ego powers, I'd say -1/2 is reasonable (considerably more reasonable than Menton's!)

Partially disagreed here, but only because I think you're misreading the intent. First, it's a -3/4 limit, not a -1; the other -1/4 comes from the skill roll. The Demons and other effects should be as effective as the GM chooses to maje them.The Demons are under the GMs control and can attack the PC, his friends, or innocent people. That is a significant limit in my view. The "does not directly affect character" aspect of the limit reflects the freedom of the entity to do as it likes; the characters psych limits ensure that he doesn't cheerfully let it run off on its merry way. Releasing a supernatural serial killer is not a casual thing for a character who Must Protect Innocents and Must Oppose Supernatural Evil.

Considering -1 means (basically) take 12d6 normal damage that ignores your defenses, the difference is pretty substantial. My bigger concern, however, is that (as cited above) I think you're basically getting half cost powers for a limitation that will only very rarely come into play. Compare that with an OAF (other foci have lower limits) and I think this is a pretty steep discount. Assuming a GM who'll design some fairly tough demons, and restricting the skill roll to always fail on 16+, and I'd see a better balance here.

[An example demon from this GM: It has no physical form of its own, and has only two powers: Possession and Multiform. Both are difficult to dispel. The Possession requires a human host. The Demon multiforms to Host form, where it has massive offensive powers, and the defenses of its host, likely a small child. Its base powers are Difficult to Dispel. You have to get the demon out of the child. Magic won't do it, so you need to be very persuasive. Of course, if you kill the Host, the demon goes home. But that's not really an option, now is it?]

This is another tough one. The +2 is there specifically to allow the Aid to raise the Pool limit and the spell being cast. I thought about a +1/2 defined as "Aids Pool and Any one Spell", but that seemed low. The goal was to allow the character to perform an extended ritual for access to major spells not normally available for 60 active points. It does come close to violating another house rule (Aids can't Aid themselves), but it isn't meant to build a stepping stone Aid power.

Why not buy Aid to the pool only? It's Cosmic, so once you have the boosted power in the pool, you should be able to select a new spell with the requisite active points. Actually, this would allow boosting of existing spells. I'm not sure I'd allow it, but if it's kept fairly restrictive, it shouldn't be extremely damaging. Of course, some GM's may decline the opportunity to have Deus Ex Machina Man in their campaign. But that's almost anyone with a VPP anyway, so it shouldn't be a big deal in a supers campaign.

While I also have concerns about the character (pretty much those already raised), your positive attitude would give me a lot of confidence that we'd be able to work them out (if I were GM). I think the basic concept is sound.

My concern about the RSR / Side Effect limitations is that because they will come into play so rarely (on a 17-18 most of the time), they will have to be very, very nasty when they occur. This often tends to decrease the fun of the game -- PCs set up for a big fight and all of a sudden they are facing big nasty demons too. (My cruel version: a demon with Difficult to Dispel XDM with the "gate" option, so lots more demons start coming through. :))

I'm surprised Gestures and Incantations aren't on the list, since these are classic mage limitations.

Not limiting enough unless they apply to all powers. If entangled he could always switch to Desolidification without Gestures and Incantations and be back in play in the next phase. Also, I don't like using Gestures and Incantations with the Ego Powers Only phases.

I do think that they're valid limits for Four Color level magicians; Zatana couldn't use her spells in a field of silence, and iirc there were early Doctor Strange adventures where he couldn't cast spells with his hands bound, though that was later changed. Similarly Captain Marvel definitely has incantations on his multiform (sto him from speaking and you stop the power).

I was looking at the skill levels. +4 DCV (20 pts) and +6 Overall Levels (60 pts) together impose -4 on your skill roll, which leaves 18- based on your 22- start. Unless your 22- includes some skill levels you have to activate, but I don't see that. 17 pioints for 22- looks like the right total to me.

I mis-read your post here. Mea culpa. I've decided to go with the -0 limit "Always fails on a 16, 17 or 18," with extra levels of skill beyond that used only to offset skill penalties. The chances of failure were too low.

My concern here is how often the skill roll will fail. Unless I'm missing the point, I would expect him to activate his DCV levels and force field immediately (70 AP). At the same time, he can activate 3 Overall levels (30 AP), and he will succeed on a 17- (less than 1/2 of 1% fail rate). He now has solid defenses and DCV 13 - 16, depending on how you allocate the overall levels.

Understood and mostly agreed. He will be under a hose rule stating that he can't activate only part of a spell; All of the Overall Levels would have to come on line at once.

He's got some regeneration. What about swapping the Force Field for Damage Reduction? He'd only take half damage from attacks that connect, giving him a shot at recovery, but still hit hard if someone does connect.

I may go for some kind of Aid to Body, Con, Stun and REC, the special effect being a force field that grows dimmer as he takes damage. He's not meant to brick it out, but in practical terms he will eventually get hit, and it would be nice for him to at least come back from the first shot.

[oldtimer rant ON] In MY day we did our characters on PAPER! Newfangled computers! And we had to walk five miles in the snow to game. Uphill all the way. BOTH WAYS! [end oldtimer rant] That's my misread of HeroMaker. And if the intent is only ego powers, I'd say -1/2 is reasonable (considerably more reasonable than Menton's!)

Why not buy Aid to the pool only? It's Cosmic, so once you have the boosted power in the pool, you should be able to select a new spell with the requisite active points. Actually, this would allow boosting of existing spells. I'm not sure I'd allow it, but if it's kept fairly restrictive, it shouldn't be extremely damaging. Of course, some GM's may decline the opportunity to have Deus Ex Machina Man in their campaign. But that's almost anyone with a VPP anyway, so it shouldn't be a big deal in a supers campaign.

The whole point of a PC Mage is to have Deus Ex Machina Man. ;)

I think an Aid to the Pool + One Spell might be the way to go on this; I don't like just aiding the pool, though I can't really say why. It just feels cheesy.

Thanks for the input.

Originally posted by Geoff Speare

My concern about the RSR / Side Effect limitations is that because they will come into play so rarely (on a 17-18 most of the time), they will have to be very, very nasty when they occur. This often tends to decrease the fun of the game -- PCs set up for a big fight and all of a sudden they are facing big nasty demons too. (My cruel version: a demon with Difficult to Dispel XDM with the "gate" option, so lots more demons start coming through. :))

I like this. :)

That's just the type of side effect he should be afraid of.

The whole point of a PC Mage is to have Deus Ex Machina Man. ;)

Well, yes and no. It's pretty much impossible to simulate a vast array of magic powers without VPP, and mages should have a vast array of powers. Just as basic, however, is that they shouldn't be able to solve any problem that arises with a wave of their hands. That can make for a great conception, but a lousy game. The concern I generally hear is "tell me what he CAN'T do, an approach I start with for a VPP character.

I think an Aid to the Pool + One Spell might be the way to go on this; I don't like just aiding the pool, though I can't really say why. It just feels cheesy.

Depends on whether you're trying to raise the pool for a different spell/effect, or a specific spell within the pool. I think it seems kind of cheesy to use the points in the pool to get an effect that makes the pool the points came from bigger.

Version 2Well, here's version 2. Again, comments welcomed.

Combat Information Page

Character Name: Style

Alternate Identities: David Cohen

Player Name:

attachment.php?s=&postid=101723
CHARACTERISTICS CHARACTER IMAGE
Val Char Base Points Total Roll Notes
13 STR 10 3 13 12- HTH Damage 2 1/2d6 END [1]
14 DEX 10 12 14 12- OCV 5 DCV 5
13 CON 10 6 13 12-
10 BODY 10 0 10 11-
18 INT 10 8 18 13- PER Roll 13-
29 EGO 10 38 29 15- ECV: 10
13 PRE 10 3 13 12- PRE Attack: 2 1/2d6
14 COM 10 2 14 12-

9 PD 3 0 9   9 PD (6 rPD)
9 ED 3 0 9   9 ED (6 rED)
5 SPD 2.4 26 5   Phases: 3, 5, 8, 10, 12
6 REC 6 0 6  
26 END 26 0 26  
24 STUN 24 0 24    
6" Running 6 0 6"    
2" Swimming 2 0 2"    
2 1/2"/1"" Leaping 3 0 2 1/2" 98 Total Characteristics Points
EXPERIENCE POINTS
Total earned: 5
Spent: 5
Unspent: 0
Base Points: 200
Disad Points: 150
Total Points: 355
MOVEMENT
Type Total
Run (6) 6" [12" NC]
Swim (2) 2" [4" NC]
H. Leap (3") 2 1/2"
V. Leap (1") 1"
Flight 17" [34" NC]
APPEARANCE
Hair Color:  Grey
Eye Color:  Brown
Height:  5' 7"
Weight:  180 lbs
Description:
Just under average height, fit and healthy, brown hair and grey eyes.

DEFENSES
Type Amount Notes
Physical Defense 9 Current BODY:
Res. Phys. Defense 6  
Energy Defense 9 Current END:
Res. Energy Defense 6  
Mental Defense 26 Current STUN:
Power Defense 20  
COMBAT INFORMATION
OCV: 5 DCV: 5

Combat Skill Levels: +6 with Missile Deflection and Reflection (18 Active Points); Side Effects (Side Effect only affects the environment near the character -3/4), Requires A Skill Roll (Active Point penalty to Skill Roll is -1 per 20 Active Points -1/4) , +6 Overall (60 Active Points); Side Effects (Side Effect only affects the environment near the character -3/4), Costs Endurance Only Costs END to Activate (-1/4), Requires A Skill Roll (Active Point penalty to Skill Roll is -1 per 20 Active Points -1/4) Real Cost: 27 , +8 with DCV, Uncontrolled (+1/2) (60 Active Points); Side Effects (Side Effect only affects the environment near the character -3/4), Requires A Skill Roll (Active Point penalty to Skill Roll is -1 per 20 Active Points -1/4) Real Cost: 30
COMBAT MANEUVERS
Maneuver Phase OCV DCV Effect
Block 1/2 +0 +0 Block, abort
Brace 0 +2 1/2 +2 vs. Range Mod.
Disarm 1/2 -2 +0 Can disarm
Dodge 1/2 -- +3 Abort, vs. all attacks
Grab 1/2 -1 -2 Grab two limbs
Grab By 1/2 -3 -4 Move and Grab
Haymaker 1/2* +0 -5 +4 DC attack damage
Move By 1/2 -2 -2 STR/2 + v/5
Move Through 1/2 -v/5 -3 STR + v/3
Set 1 +1 +0 Ranged Attacks only
Strike 1/2 +0 +0 STR or weapon
COMBAT MODIFIERS
Range 0-4 5-8 9-16 17-32 33-64 65-128
RMOD 0 -2 -4 -6 -8 -10

POWERS
Cost  Power END
33 Immortal: (Total: 85 Active Cost, 33 Real Cost) Life Support , Longevity: Immortal (Real Cost: 5) plus Healing Regeneration 1 BODY (Can Heal Limbs, Resurrection), Reduced Endurance 0 END (+1/2), Persistent (+1/2) (70 Active Points); Extra Time (Regeneration-Only) 1 Turn (Post-Segment 12) (-1 1/4), Self Only (-1/2) (Real Cost: 25) plus +5 BODY (10 Active Points); Only to put off point of death (-1 1/2), No Figured Characteristics (-1/2) (Real Cost: 3)
5 Spiritual Shields: Power Defense (5 points)
5 Psychic Shields: +5 Mental Defense (11 points total)
23 Magic Reserve: Endurance Reserve (220 END, 1 REC) (23 Active Points)
111 High Sorcery: Variable Power Pool (Magic Pool), 60 base + 51 control cost, Cosmic (+2) (150 Active Points); Spells must have a minimum of -1 in limits (-1/2), Limited Class Of Powers Available: Spells Only Slightly Limited (-1/4)
Notes: Required Skill Rolls always fail on 16,17, or 18.Standard side effect is a summoned 300 point Demon, but any side effect deemed appropriate may be used; Change Environments are particularly useful here, as are dimensional gates. New spells created in play always take Requires Skill Roll at the -1 per 5 points level and a full -1 Side Effect. Spells submitted in writing before play begins may take less severe limits.
1) See Magic: Detect A Class Of Things 13-, Discriminatory, Range, Sense Affected As Sight (+0), Uncontrolled (+1/2) (22 Active Points); Concentration 0 DCV (-1/2), Requires A Skill Roll (-1/2) Real Cost: 11
2) Blind Eye: Flash 8d6 (Sight Group), Area Of Effect (One Hex; +1/2) (60 Active Points); Side Effects (Side Effect only affects the environment near the character -3/4), Requires A Skill Roll (Active Point penalty to Skill Roll is -1 per 20 Active Points -1/4) (uses END Reserve) Real Cost: 30
3) Phatasmal Mists: Sight Group and Hearing Group Images, +/-5 to PER Roll, Reduced Endurance 1/2 END (+1/4), Increases Size (8" radius; +3/4) (60 Active Points); Side Effects (Side Effect only affects the environment near the character -3/4), Requires A Skill Roll (Active Point penalty to Skill Roll is -1 per 20 Active Points -1/4) (uses END Reserve) Real Cost: 30
4) Dragon Voice: Mind Control 12d6 (60 Active Points); Side Effects (Side Effect only affects the environment near the character -3/4), Requires A Skill Roll (Active Point penalty to Skill Roll is -1 per 20 Active Points -1/4) (uses END Reserve) Real Cost: 30
5) Cloak of Protection: Invisibility to Sight Group, Hearing Group, Mental Group, Smell/Taste Group, No Fringe, Reduced Endurance 1/2 END (+1/4) (56 Active Points); Side Effects (Side Effect only affects the environment near the character -3/4), Requires A Skill Roll (Active Point penalty to Skill Roll is -1 per 20 Active Points -1/4) (uses END Reserve) Real Cost: 28
6) Redirection of Forces: (Total: 58 Active Cost, 29 Real Cost) Missile Deflection (Any Ranged Attack), Missile Reflection (40 Active Points); Side Effects (Side Effect only affects the environment near the character -3/4), Requires A Skill Roll (Active Point penalty to Skill Roll is -1 per 20 Active Points -1/4) (Real Cost: 20) plus +6 with Missile Deflection and Reflection (18 Active Points); Side Effects (Side Effect only affects the environment near the character -3/4), Requires A Skill Roll (Active Point penalty to Skill Roll is -1 per 20 Active Points -1/4) (Real Cost: 9) Real Cost: 29
7) Flight Sphere: Flight 17", Reduced Endurance 1/2 END (+1/4), Uncontrolled (+1/2) (59 Active Points); Side Effects (Side Effect only affects the environment near the character -3/4), Physical Manifestation (-1/4), Requires A Skill Roll (Active Point penalty to Skill Roll is -1 per 20 Active Points -1/4) (uses Personal END) Real Cost: 26
8) Slow Time: +6 Overall (60 Active Points); Side Effects (Side Effect only affects the environment near the character -3/4), Costs Endurance Only Costs END to Activate (-1/4), Requires A Skill Roll (Active Point penalty to Skill Roll is -1 per 20 Active Points -1/4) Real Cost: 27
9) Fast Thinking: +6 with all non-combat Skills (48 Active Points); Only to offset time penalties for tasks (-1) Real Cost: 24
10) Mind Speach: Mind Control 9d6, Telepathic (+1/4) (56 Active Points) (uses END Reserve) Real Cost: 56
11) Delerium: Mental Illusions 12d6 (60 Active Points); Side Effects (Side Effect only affects the environment near the character -3/4), Requires A Skill Roll (Active Point penalty to Skill Roll is -1 per 20 Active Points -1/4) (uses END Reserve) Real Cost: 30
12) Psychic Bolt: Ego Attack 6d6 (60 Active Points); Side Effects (Side Effect only affects the environment near the character -3/4), Requires A Skill Roll (Active Point penalty to Skill Roll is -1 per 20 Active Points -1/4) (uses END Reserve) Real Cost: 30
13) Soul Speech: Telepathy 12d6 (60 Active Points); Side Effects (Side Effect only affects the environment near the character -3/4), Requires A Skill Roll (Active Point penalty to Skill Roll is -1 per 20 Active Points -1/4) (uses END Reserve) Real Cost: 30
14) Seek the Spirit: Mind Scan 10d6, +5 ECV (60 Active Points); Side Effects (Side Effect only affects the environment near the character -3/4), Requires A Skill Roll (Active Point penalty to Skill Roll is -1 per 20 Active Points -1/4) (uses END Reserve) Real Cost: 30
15) Ghost Shirt: +8 with DCV, Uncontrolled (+1/2) (60 Active Points); Side Effects (Side Effect only affects the environment near the character -3/4), Requires A Skill Roll (Active Point penalty to Skill Roll is -1 per 20 Active Points -1/4) Real Cost: 30
Notes: Effect ends when struck in combat
16) Sword of Avalon: Killing Attack - Hand-To-Hand 2d6 (plus STR) (vs. PD), Reduced Endurance 0 END (+1/2), Armor Piercing x1 (+1/2) (60 Active Points) Real Cost: 60
17) Psychic Net: Entangle 2d6, 2 DEF, Takes No Damage From Attacks Limited Group (+1/4), Works Against EGO, Not STR (+1/4), Reduced Endurance 0 END (+1/2), Based On EGO Combat Value (Mental Defense; +1) (60 Active Points); Side Effects (Side Effect only affects the environment near the character -3/4), Requires A Skill Roll (Active Point penalty to Skill Roll is -1 per 20 Active Points -1/4) Real Cost: 30
18) Ethereal Body: Desolidification (affected by Magic, Transdimensional Powers), Costs END Only To Activate (+1/4) (50 Active Points); Side Effects (Side Effect only affects the environment near the character -3/4), Requires A Skill Roll (Active Point penalty to Skill Roll is -1 per 20 Active Points -1/4) (uses Personal END) Real Cost: 25
19) Dispel Magic: Dispel 16d6, Expanded Effect One At A Time (+1/4) (60 Active Points); Side Effects (Side Effect only affects the environment near the character -3/4), Requires A Skill Roll (Active Point penalty to Skill Roll is -1 per 20 Active Points -1/4) (uses END Reserve) Real Cost: 30
20) Dream Paths: Extra-Dimensional Movement (Any Dimension, Any Location), x8 Increased Weight (60 Active Points); Side Effects (Side Effect only affects the environment near the character -3/4), Requires A Skill Roll (Active Point penalty to Skill Roll is -1 per 20 Active Points -1/4) (uses END Reserve) Real Cost: 30
21) Warp Hand: (Total: 60 Active Cost, 26 Real Cost) Hand Portal: Stretching 4", Does Not Cross Intervening Space (+1/4) (25 Active Points); No Noncombat Stretching (-1/4), No Velocity Damage (-1/4), Limited Body Parts (-1/4), Requires A Skill Roll (Active Point penalty to Skill Roll is -1 per 20 Active Points -1/4) (uses END Reserve) (Real Cost: 12) plus Warp Manipulation: +35 STR (35 Active Points); Side Effects (Side Effect only affects the environment near the character -3/4), No Figured Characteristics (-1/2), Requires A Skill Roll (Active Point penalty to Skill Roll is -1 per 20 Active Points -1/4) (uses END Reserve) (Real Cost: 14) Real Cost: 26
22) Wind Control: Telekinesis (10 STR), Affects Gasses, Area Of Effect (5" Any Area; +1 1/4) (56 Active Points); Side Effects (Side Effect only affects the environment near the character -3/4), Affects Whole Object (-1/4), Requires A Skill Roll (Active Point penalty to Skill Roll is -1 per 20 Active Points -1/4) (uses END Reserve) Real Cost: 25
23) Sigil of Protection: Force Field (15 Mental Defense/15 Power Defense), Reduced Endurance 1/2 END (+1/4), Hardened (+1/4), Uncontrolled (+1/2) (60 Active Points); Side Effects (Side Effect only affects the environment near the character -3/4), Requires A Skill Roll (Active Point penalty to Skill Roll is -1 per 20 Active Points -1/4) (uses Personal END) Real Cost: 30
Notes: Broken when Stuned, Sleeps
24) Extended Ritual: Aid: VPP and One Spell 1d6, Can Add Maximum Of 30 Points, Delayed Return Rate (points return at the rate of 5 per Minute) (+1/4), Adds to VPP and One Spell Two Powers Simultaneously (+1/2), Continuous (+1) (60 Active Points); Self Only (-1/2), Concentration 1/2 DCV, Must Concentrate throughout use of Constant Power (-1/2) Real Cost: 30
Notes: Boosts VPP and One Spell by 30 points after roughly 10 phases.
25) Mystic Shields: Aid: BOD, STUN 1d6, Can Add Maximum Of 22 Points, Delayed Return Rate (points return at the rate of 5 per Minute) (+1/4), Variable Effect Two Powers Simultaneously (+1/2), Uncontrolled (+1/2), Continuous (+1) (58 Active Points); Side Effects (Side Effect only affects the environment near the character -3/4), Self Only (-1/2), Requires A Skill Roll (Active Point penalty to Skill Roll is -1 per 20 Active Points -1/4) Real Cost: 23
Notes: This spell adds 11 BOD and 33 STUN over 7 phases. The points fade at 5 per minute. The visable manifestation of this spell is a glowing "force field" that shatters if the extra Stun is expended. The spell runs itself after casting, but stops building after its full effect is reached.
26) Snake's Tongue: +60 PRE (60 Active Points); Side Effects (Side Effect only affects the environment near the character -3/4), Costs Endurance Only Costs END to Activate (-1/4), Requires A Skill Roll (Active Point penalty to Skill Roll is -1 per 20 Active Points -1/4) (uses END Reserve) Real Cost: 27
Notes: This spell makes the caster inhumanly persuasive.
27) Psychokinetic Bolt: Energy Blast 12d6 (vs. PD) (60 Active Points); Custom Modifier (-1) (uses END Reserve) Real Cost: 30
177 Total Powers Cost
PERKS
Cost  Name
2 Fringe Benefit: Private Investigator License
2 Total Perks Cost
TALENTS
Cost  Name
12 Combat Luck (6 PD/6 ED)
5 Eidetic Memory
4 Speed Reading (x10)
21 Total Talents Cost

SKILLS
Cost  Name
17 Power: High Sorcery (EGO-based) 22-
3 Deduction 13-
3 Navigation (Astral, Dimensional) 13-
3 Computer Programming 13-
3 Electronics 13-
3 Mechanics 13-
3 Scholar
1) KS: Superhuman World (2 Active Points) 11-
2) KS: Arcane & Mystic Lore (2 Active Points) 11-
3) KS: The Mystic World (2 Active Points) 11-
4) KS: Myths & Legends (2 Active Points) 11-
5) KS: Current Events (2 Active Points) 11-
6) KS: History (2 Active Points) 11-
3 Scientist
1) SS: Wizardry (2 Active Points) 11-
2) SS: Witch Craft (2 Active Points) 11-
3) SS: Alchemy (2 Active Points) 11-
4) SS: Divination (2 Active Points) 11-
5) SS: Thaumaturgy (2 Active Points) 11-
6) SS: Sorcery (2 Active Points) 11-
7) SS: Necromancy (2 Active Points) 11-
8) SS: Conjuration (2 Active Points) 11-
9) SS: Elemental Magic (2 Active Points) 11-
10) SS: Theurgy (2 Active Points) 11-
11) SS: Enchantment (2 Active Points) 11-
12) SS: Druidry (2 Active Points) 11-
13) SS: Dimansional Theory (2 Active Points) 11-
57 Total Skills Cost

DISADVANTAGES
Cost  Disadvantage
10 Dependent NPC: Client or girlfriend of the week 8- (Normal)
5 Distinctive Features: Magical Aura (Not Concealable; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable Only By Unusual Senses)
20 Hunted: Demon 8- (Mo Pow; Capture and "Convert"; Extensive Non-Combat Influence; PC has a Public ID or is otherwise very easy to find)
20 Hunted: The Crowns of Krym 8- (Mo Pow; Capture and Enslave; PC has a Public ID or is otherwise very easy to find; Extensive Non-Combat Influence)
Notes: The Crowns want Style corrupted, not dead.
20 Hunted: The Council 11- (Mo Pow; Watching; Extensive Non-Combat Influence; PC has a Public ID or is otherwise very easy to find)
15 Psychological Limitation: Dedicated to fighting Mystic Evil (Common; Strong)
10 Psychological Limitation: Weakness for a sob story (Common; Moderate)
10 Psychological Limitation: Xenophillia (Common; Moderate)
20 Psychological Limitation: Protective of Innocents (Very Common; Strong)
10 Reputation: Mystic Gun For Hire and subject of prophecy 14- (Known Only To A Small Group)
10 Social Limitation: Public ID (Frequently; Major; Not Limiting In Some Cultures)
150 Total Disadvantages Cost
Height: 5' 7" Hair: Grey
Weight: 180 lbs Eyes: Brown
Appearance: Just under average height, fit and healthy, brown hair and grey eyes.
Personality: David is consciously cheerful, kind and optimistic. He tries to see the best in everyone, and to help those who need him. His knowledge that he was born to die to protect others fills him with anger; he does his best to push that knowledge to the back of his mind whenever possible, and is determined to cheat the Prophecy. Many of his foes are beings of unimaginable evil; when faced with such creatures, David is willing to kill.
Quote:"Don't worry, I won't hurt you. What do you want?"
Background: "The prophecies are very clear" said the first. "The son of the Crowned One shall grow to power as a mage; he shall be the gatekeeper and the master of gates. When the Undying Lord stands at the portal, the son of the Crowned One shall bar the gate; the Undying Lord shall not pass."

"Bollocks" said the second.

"It is clear" insisted the first, feeling perhaps that the second should show more formality when discussing matters of such importance.

"I refuse to believe that we cannot simply crush this insect" insisted the second. "He has interfered with our plans, destroyed our minions, and cost us precious time! He must be destroyed!"

"He will be," said the first" but only after he has denied this world to Takofanes. He shall not survive his triumph. The prophecies were very clear."

- As entered into the official minutes of the six-hundred and twenty fifth meeting of the Circle of the Scarlet Moon.

"What can you tell me about the candidate?"

"Well sir, he does appear to bear all the marks of the Guardian of the Gate. His father discovered the Emerald Crown in 1943 while serving in the American armed forces in Europe. Using the Crown, he took on the identity of Doctor Emerald, and fought against the Axis powers. After the war, Doctor Emerald continued to operate as a largely positive force in both the mundane and the mystic world until 1972."

"When was the candidate born?"

"1969 sir. At that point Doctor Emerald had begun to seriously decline. That he fought off the corrupting force of one of the Crowns for so long is simply astonishing."

"Does the boy know that his father was touched by the Emerald Crown?"

"No sir."

"Does he know that we killed his father?"

"No sir. His mother told him that his father was killed in the American war in Vietnam. The candidate believes that his father died a common soldier."

"Good. Contact the candidate indirectly. His father's tainted blood should give him the talent to learn all he needs with only minimal guidance. Start him on gate magics."

"All shall be done as you say, sir."

"Also, after he has some minimal skill, throw a vampire onto his trail."

"Sir?"

"The boy had best learn which side he's on. An encounter or two with the dark while he's just learning the craft should teach him that most clearly."

"Yes sir."

- A conversation between members of the Council, as recorded in the Akashic Archives.

David Cohen was born to Vera Berkowitz Cohen on December 25th, 1969. He never knew his father, though he has recently come to believe that his father may have been the WWII era occult hero Doctor Emerald. David was a boy with many gifts; he had an extraordinary memory and an almost preternaturally quick mind. He also had a natural talent for magic. Under the guidance of the council, David developed that talent, and mastered many of the mystic sciences by the time he reached adulthood.

Today David knows of the Prophecy of the Gates, and that he may be the Guardian of Gates. He also strongly suspects the role the Council may have played in his father's death, and in his own horror filled early life. He has recently moved to Millennium City in an attempt to make a break with his past, establishing a small but successful Paranormal Investigations Agency in order to make the most of his talents. Despite his resentment of the Council and his rebellion against the Prophecy, David remains determined to do good, and to protect his world from supernatural evil.

Powers/Tactics: David is a talented and extremely flexible magician. He tends to stick to mind-based spells and effects as much as possible, but is also capable of casting spells that affect the physical world. Should his spells misfire, the result is often the release of extra-dimensional energies or creatures; while this rarely affects David himself, the results of a demon suddenly loosed by a simple healing spell can be devastating.

David is well protected magically even when he is unaware of danger. While he may be hurt, he is very difficult to kill; doing so would require decapitation and the burning of his body.

Campaign Use: Style is watched and hunted by a number of Mystic organizations due to his role in the prophecy of the gates. Takofanes has few allies in the mystic world, and his enemies are more than happy to let Style die to protect them. However, Style's actions have interfered in more than one plan for world conquest; Demon and the Crowns in particular intend to make him pay for that. The Crowns also hope to use Style as a means for recovering the lost Emerald Crown, now in the hands of the Council.
Character created with Hero Designer (version 1.47)

Well, yes and no. It's pretty much impossible to simulate a vast array of magic powers without VPP, and mages should have a vast array of powers. Just as basic, however, is that they shouldn't be able to solve any problem that arises with a wave of their hands. That can make for a great conception, but a lousy game. The concern I generally hear is "tell me what he CAN'T do, an approach I start with for a VPP character.

Fair enough. That said, there's always the odd time when you need to be able to open a Portal to Pylea or somesuch; it's much more fun to have a player do it than to give the job to an NPC.

Depends on whether you're trying to raise the pool for a different spell/effect, or a specific spell within the pool. I think it seems kind of cheesy to use the points in the pool to get an effect that makes the pool the points came from bigger.

True, but that's the only way to work boosting a VPP spell under the rules. His other limits on available spells are meant to help prevent abuse.

True, but that's the only way to work boosting a VPP spell under the rules. His other limits on available spells are meant to help prevent abuse.

The need to concentrate as long as the Aid is in effect also balances it out - especially dealing with a character whose defenses are limited, it's not likely to be used in combat.

Missle deflection uses combat skill levels, not non-combat skill levels. I believe a limited +1 to missile deflection costs 5 AP before the limitation, not 3 AP. Your Seek the Spirit skill levels should be +5 per level as well.

You should probably describe an obvious shutdown mechanism for all your uncontrolled spells. Some like the flight and the BODY/STUN aid don't have them. Getting hit by an attack or grabbed or something might be a thought.

If you're going to keep the Ghost Shirt as DCV levels rather than DEX, then I would make you pay END for them on a per-phase basis. But that's just me.

Howdy Zed.

Missle deflection uses combat skill levels, not non-combat skill levels. I believe a limited +1 to missile deflection costs 5 AP before the limitation, not 3 AP. Your Seek the Spirit skill levels should be +5 per level as well.

Argh. The missile deflection is my screw up. I'll check the book and fix it.

The Mind Scan is done by the book already according to Hero Designer, but I'll check.

You should probably describe an obvious shutdown mechanism for all your uncontrolled spells. Some like the flight and the BODY/STUN aid don't have them. Getting hit by an attack or grabbed or something might be a thought.

Another good catch. Any direct hit shoul shut down any continuing spells, "shattering" the Flight Sphere and the Mystic Shield.

If you're going to keep the Ghost Shirt as DCV levels rather than DEX, then I would make you pay END for them on a per-phase basis. But that's just me.

Fair dinkum. I like the levels rather than a DEX bonus; it seems a closer simulation of the effect. That said, I may integrate the Ghost Shirt and the Shield into a single Aid to Dex, Con, Bod and Stun; I'll run him through a few sample combats and see what works best.

Thanks for all the feedback. I'll tweak the spells a bit more.

Any thoughts on skills he should have but doesn't? His role is back up investigator and primary expert on magic and the occult.

According to FREd, Mind Scan lists +1 to ECV as a 2-pt. Adder. By the same token, for Missile Deflection it specifically describes plusses to the roll as 2-pt. CSLs. IMHO this is inconsistent, but by the book your +5 ECV is technically correct. You may want to house rule it one way or the other if the inconsistency bothers you. Or ask Steve. :)

Another bug - Sword of Avalon doesn't have any lim associated with it. I'm not sure if the Psychokinetic Bolt is supposed to have the Custom Lim on it, rather than the usual side effects, or not.

More on personality than design at this point, but...

What we now have is a guy who casts a lot of spells, and is very good at it. About 1 casting in 20 goes awry, commonly summoning a Demon which may attack him but, I suspect, would often try to escape/hide and seek easier prey (especially if they can sense his aura of magical power). He is protective of innocents and dedicated to stopping magical evil.

It seems to me this guy would fairly quickly become reluctant to use his spells since each one risks loosing evil on the world and placing innocents at risk. I could see such a character acquiring mundane equipment (eg. kevlar; weaponry) or magical devices so he would be able to handle as much as possible without risking his own spell power.

Assuming his experience is limited to date (which, frankly, seems inconsistent with the volume of spells he knows, but maybe he's never had to use them in pressure situations before), this might be something that develops with experience (and sops up a good portion of his xp).

By the way, does he even know of this risk at campaign start. And if he does, will he tell his teammates?

More on personality than design at this point, but...

What we now have is a guy who casts a lot of spells, and is very good at it. About 1 casting in 20 goes awry, commonly summoning a Demon which may attack him but, I suspect, would often try to escape/hide and seek easier prey (especially if they can sense his aura of magical power). He is protective of innocents and dedicated to stopping magical evil.

It seems to me this guy would fairly quickly become reluctant to use his spells since each one risks loosing evil on the world and placing innocents at risk. I could see such a character acquiring mundane equipment (eg. kevlar; weaponry) or magical devices so he would be able to handle as much as possible without risking his own spell power.

Assuming his experience is limited to date (which, frankly, seems inconsistent with the volume of spells he knows, but maybe he's never had to use them in pressure situations before), this might be something that develops with experience (and sops up a good portion of his xp).

Argh again. ;) Good point.

I like the idea that powerful improvisational magic should be risky. The Terry Pratchett / H.P. Lovecraft fan boy in me likes the thought of a botched spell calling a monster into the world, and the gamer in me likes the idea of part of an adventure being dedicated to cleaning up a mess caused by the player's own powers. On the other hand, looking at the character concept he would start to become very reluctant to use his magic after the first major demon got loose, something I don't see him as realizing is a possibility as of yet. I may have to re-think the list of allowable limits on his spells.

He's largely based on the styles of magic that will be presented in the upcoming Fantasy Hero Grimore; it might be best to say that formulaic spells tied in to talismans don't carry the risk of calling extradimensional entities (i.e. allow foci and/or charges for some spells), and that more demanding Sorceries are similarly less risky (Concentration, tougher skill roll, maybe a different side effect, maybe increased end cost). Only his most powerful spells would be left with the risk.

I'll think it over. As I said, I hate to drop the concept; some great adventure hooks there.

By the way, does he even know of this risk at campaign start. And if he does, will he tell his teammates?

I don't see him realizing just how risky using his powers in combat is at this point. He certainly knows that his type of magic carries risks; I can't see him realizing just how much of a risk to others there really is.

According to FREd, Mind Scan lists +1 to ECV as a 2-pt. Adder. By the same token, for Missile Deflection it specifically describes plusses to the roll as 2-pt. CSLs. IMHO this is inconsistent, but by the book your +5 ECV is technically correct. You may want to house rule it one way or the other if the inconsistency bothers you. Or ask Steve. :)

Another bug - Sword of Avalon doesn't have any lim associated with it. I'm not sure if the Psychokinetic Bolt is supposed to have the Custom Lim on it, rather than the usual side effects, or not.

Thanks Zed. More fixing to do. ;)

Question on the overall skill levels, i.e. slow time... does he have to re-cast the spell every time he changes them, or is it that once the spell is cast he can reallocate the same levels every phase until he changes his pool & swaps them out for something else? Do we have an official ruling on that, or if not on what basis do we know the answer?

I have another character that is considering buying overall levels with a RSR roll, and want to know how it would work. What if they are a constant power (i.e. I buy them with an END cost?)

Question on the overall skill levels, i.e. slow time... does he have to re-cast the spell every time he changes them, or is it that once the spell is cast he has access to the levels until he changes his pool? Do we have an official ruling on that, or if not on what basis do we know the answer?

I have another character that is considering buying overall levels with a RSR roll, and want to know how it would work. What if they are a constant power (i.e. I buy them with an END cost?)

Good question. I'm opperating on the assumption that once he casts the spell, he can change the levels as often as he likes; that's how other skill levels bought with a limit work, and it fits the special effect. THat said, it's not in the FAQ. This may be one for Steve.