Bane Shroud

CorpCommander

Here is an interesting power. It comes from the Iron Kingdom's setting put out by Privateer Press. I've given it my best Hero interpretation. Basically it is an inherent nigh-tangible field of gloom that projects for 1" around Bane Thralls (think: rather powerful undead skeletons or zombie types.) What it is, is a 1" radius modifier to all checks and rolls. Oh, and you can't heal body while in it. Nice write up. But it is freaking expensive and I am not sure how to prevent healing of body while in the shroud. I've just ignored that aspect of it. The power already clocks in at a whopping 45 points which puts me WAY over budget for my design (since the necromancer that can call this bad boy up has to pay for the summoning costs it blows her costs out of the budget too. Grrr.) I sometimes become fascinated when I read about something in a non-point cost system and then see what the cost is in Hero, because usually something the author considered mundane ends up translating into something horrifically expensive!

45 Points Bane Shroud: Change Environment 1" radius, -1 : DCV, -1 : ECV, -1 : OCV, -1 Characteristic Roll and all Skill Rolls based on CON, -1 Characteristic Roll and all Skill Rolls based on DEX, -1 Characteristic Roll and all Skill Rolls based on EGO, -1 Characteristic Roll and all Skill Rolls based on INT, -1 Characteristic Roll and all Skill Rolls based on PRE, -1 Characteristic Roll and all Skill Rolls based on STR, Personal Immunity (+1/4), Reduced Endurance 0 END (+1/2), Persistent (+1/2) (90 Active Points); No Range (-1/2), Always On (-1/2)

Not only that, but I believe there's something in Fred discouraging that many modifiers being bought in a Change Environment. Someone want to do it as a Transform? Not me :)

I think 90 AP, 45 real isn't out of the question for a fairly powerful caster. No starting PC could have it, but it's a perfect power for an enemy or his minions. If you don't want it quite as nasty, put in a few more limiations. But, if you like it the way it is, go for it. Point costs aren't always the best measure of a foe's nastiness. Just don't throw a hundred of them at 150 pt PCs :)

BlueBuddha

Good points

Yeah, its not something the party will see a lot of. The type of Thrall this belongs to is extremely nasty and rare. It would be used to protect the controllers most prized posessions or darkest secrets. The Thralls are built on the following point scales:

Risen (very few glyphs, pretty much only good for labor) 110.

Warrior (moderate glyphs, decent in combat, aware of surroundings and can communicate with other thralls) 130.

Lieutenant (heavier glyphing, nasty in melee, can give orders as well) 150.

Bane (very heavily covered in glyphs, kicks ass, tough as year old hardtack on an icy cold morning and of course has the bane shroud) 220.

Now the characters are around 160-170 points right now so this isn't too bad. Considering the bane shroud really isn't cost effective - it's effect is very broad but not very punishing - it should prove to be not a problem for the characters I think.

The ratio that they will come across these things is 100 Risen to each Warrior, 10-20 Warriors per Lieutenant (should be Sergent but I am using the nomenclature of the official setting), and 5-10 Lieutenants per Bane Thrall.

There are even worse thralls including a magic casting thrall. Those will be unique. Not sure how or when I'll throw those at the party.

Should be fun. :) Well, for the evil GM in me at least!

Supress

Try this:

2d6 Supress (DCV, ECV, OCV, Characteristic Roll and all Skill Rolls based on CON, DEX, EGO, INT, PRE, or STR) [+2], Standard Effect, 0 End [+1/2], Persistent [+1/2], Area Effect Radius: 1" [+3/4], Personal Immunity [+1/4], No Range [-1/2], Target only loses -1 per affected power [-1/2]

AP: 50

RP: 25

It will suppress 6 active points for each of the listed items, which should be more than enough for a -1 to the roll. I left out Always On, which would save you another 5 Real Points. It seemed like that was a bit over the top, that they still exude this aura even when unconcious. Of course, it is your game, so feel free to add it back. =)

- Ernie

Re: Bane Shroud

Originally posted by CorpCommander

[b45 Points Bane Shroud: Change Environment 1" radius, -1 : DCV, -1 : ECV, -1 : OCV, -1 Characteristic Roll and all Skill Rolls based on CON, -1 Characteristic Roll and all Skill Rolls based on DEX, -1 Characteristic Roll and all Skill Rolls based on EGO, -1 Characteristic Roll and all Skill Rolls based on INT, -1 Characteristic Roll and all Skill Rolls based on PRE, -1 Characteristic Roll and all Skill Rolls based on STR, Personal Immunity (+1/4), Reduced Endurance 0 END (+1/2), Persistent (+1/2) (90 Active Points); No Range (-1/2), Always On (-1/2) [/b]

Can't heal BOD could be a suppress to Heal, only those Heals which do BOD. Make it always on, and it should quickly soak away the BOD healing ability.

Should that be 90 points? As I see it, you need the base power (5), doubled radius (+5; otherwise it's only in his hex), -1 to three CV's (15 points; should it be four CV's to segregate OECV and DECV?); -1 on 6 stats (24 points) for base of 49 x 2.25 = 110 AP/2 = 55 real cost. I've likely blown the math somewhere as I rarely use CE.

I agree it seems a lot of points for the results achieved. Then again, "-1 to everything" is a pretty potent ability. Perversely, you can't eliminate Persistent as it would then not be Always On, and would cost more.

The Suppress could work, but you need to boost the dice for stats. 6 pts DEX likely won't get a skill roll, and may not even get a CV (13 DEX, for example, becomes 11 -but how many characters round DEX UP?). 6 pts Ego and Con may miss breakpoints as well.

Could you catch a break by making the powers non-cumulative with the same effect from other Bane Shrouds? Likely no more than 1/4 unless these things move in convoys.

You could save some points on the Summoner by getting really cheesy and letting the Banes summon lower level Thralls rather than maming the sorceror do it all himself (or use a duplication construct - Summon 100 - 110 point creatures costs 57 points (Summon 22 + 7 doublings).

Summon just one that Duplicates into 100 (cannot recombine; -0) and it pays 22 + 35 = 57 (Duplicate 22 + 7 doublings), which makes it a 167 point creature Summoned for 34 points (yes, I rounded up). That's 23 points back for your Summoner!

Re: Re: Bane Shroud

Originally posted by Hugh Neilson

(edited highly and labled)

A) doubled radius (+5; otherwise it's only in his hex),

B) Could you catch a break by making the powers non-cumulative with the same effect from other Bane Shrouds? Likely no more than 1/4 unless these things move in convoys.

C) You could save some points on the Summoner by getting really cheesy and letting the Banes summon lower level Thralls rather than maming the sorceror do it all

D) Summon just one that Duplicates into 100 (cannot recombine; -0)

All good ideas. Here are my responses.

A) good catch. a 1" radius should by scientific definition cover 2" across but as I look in the book I see they have a new meaning for radius which suspiciously looks like DIAMETER. Thanks, will fix that.

B) Another great idea. It's worth a point or two so definitely needed!

C) Alas that breaks the background description of what is going on. If anything it's the other way around where the basic risen do the work to prepare the bigger undead! In fact in one of the Iron Kingdom modules there is an old battle field where risen are digging away, collecting bones for the manufacture of an undead army.

D) That is a good idea but these things aren't coming from no where. They have to be constructed. Though the process of duplication could be construction... It just may work this crazy idea of yours!

Re: Re: Re: Bane Shroud

All good ideas. Here are my responses.

A) see they have a new meaning for radius which suspiciously looks like DIAMETER.

Hooray for the new math :rolleyes:

C) Alas that breaks the background description of what is going on. If anything it's the other way around where the basic risen do the work to prepare the bigger undead! In fact in one of the Iron Kingdom modules there is an old battle field where risen are digging away, collecting bones for the manufacture of an undead army.

That may give you an even better structure - the lower levels have the Summon power, with Extra Time, materials and a requirement for at least X of them to work on the project. Your sorceror only needs to summon the low level creatures.

D) That is a good idea but these things aren't coming from no where. They have to be constructed. Though the process of duplication could be construction... It just may work this crazy idea of yours!

Same as Summon - extra time, some number required, materials. This could be a lot cheaper than originally believed ;)

The trouble with Extra Time, of course, is that the villains don't have to tell the heroes when they're starting. "Extra Time 100 years" doesn't limit you mich if your opposition only finds out about it 99 years, 364 days and 23 hours after you start, and you're two hours away!

You could have a number of assistants "Aid" the primary necromancer's Summon power. These shouldn't be "normal" apprentices either, for a necromancer of great power. Perhaps they are insubstantial shadows, or other "flavor items" in the necromancer's hideout...

"As the necromancer chants her potent spell, the very sarcophagi that adorn the walls of the chamber seem to echo her incantation in funereal tones that form a ghastly harmony. Black mist rises from the shadows that flit wildly about the chamber as the spell draws to a blasphemous conclusion."

I do this sort of thing all the time, so that the PCs never really know all the details of what is going on. Then later, you can expand upon some detail they overlooked.

Also, I think you need the +5 point Multiple Combat Effects adder for the Change Environment to make it "book-legal". You can easily house-rule it, just be aware that you are house-ruling it.

I wonder...

I wonder if Ritual limitation would help. It could make the summoning a lot cheaper. Summoning the Risen can be done as a single necromancer. Summoning the bigger ones requires helping hands! pg. 135 of Fantasy Hero has the limits for this. So if you need 10 Risen to help create 1 warrior then that is worth -1. But now I am off topic as this is all about summoning and not about the Bane Shroud and getting that to a reasonable cost structure...

Since the shroud can't be turned off, can't be weakened by the bane thrall, perhaps "No Conscious Control" limitation applies? I am sure I will figure out some limitations. I mean, perpaps there is some Inobvious but possibly Accessible Focus (some glyphs) that create the power.

B) Could you catch a break by making the powers non-cumulative with the same effect from other Bane Shrouds? Likely no more than 1/4 unless these things move in convoys.
B) Another great idea. It's worth a point or two so definitely needed!

Don't do it! It's not worth the points you'd save! I want to hear about a player who was surrounded by six of these things and subsequently beaten to a pulp because it had a -6 to everything! Now THAT's evil.

-Preston

Many Bane Thralls

Well the big battle is coming up. Probably not for a Month in real time but certainly soon... i suppose it could be, ah, fun. :)

I will post the various Thralls here. I ran some Thralls last night and realized I didn't purchase them with the ability to ignore stun. Clearly necessary for skeletons!