Five Innovative But Impractical Handguns

Susano

Re: Five Innovative But Impractical Handguns

Or could swap entire cylinders. One thing I like about the film Gettysburg is that they show Joshua Lawrence Chamberlin doing just that during a lull on Little Round Top.

Wasn't there another movie that showed that? I think a Clint Eastwood "spaghetti western," though I'm not sure.

Wasn't there another movie that showed that? I think a Clint Eastwood "spaghetti western' date='" though I'm not sure.[/quote']

Probably The Outlaw Josie Wales.

Right. The short range of the shotgun wasn't really an issue for the same reason - you were likely going to be using it just prior to closing to sword range ...

cheers, Mark

The short range of the shotgun makes it just perfect for intimidating any tinhorn gambler who tries to cheat you in a game of poker !;)

Or could swap entire cylinders. One thing I like about the film Gettysburg is that they show Joshua Lawrence Chamberlin doing just that during a lull on Little Round Top.

From what I saw of the Disassembled LeMat, I don't think that changing the cylendar is an easy thing. I think that it slides over the shotgun barrel. Not something that would be easy to do in combat.

Though I imagine that some innovative Gunsmith will figure out how to do a quick change of both. Heck with some reengineering it may be possible to use a Shotgun Cartridge instead of dealing with muzzle loading the shotgun.

For another impractical gun, I like the Mars pistols.

With some evolution to improve the ergonomics (LOTS!!)

Imagine a semiautomatic ballistic equivalent to the .357 magnum, or the .45 SUPER... An unspecified weight 8.5mm bullet at 1700 fps or a 230gr .45 bullet at 1180fps!:eg:

In 1900!

http://www.luger-genesis.com/detail_pisto.php?id=7&p=3

http://www.horstheld.com/0-Mars.htm

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2008/02/21/mars-pistol-the-first-pistol-with-magazine-located-under-the-chamber/

THough this is the pistol that the British military reviewers said something to the effect of "once a man had fired it nothing would convince him to fire it again." :nonp:

The design was very complex, but imo might have been workable except

The line of the bore was FAR above the grip. Combined with long recoil operation, LOTS of REcoil energy, the leverage it had on the shooters wrist must have been VERY Painful...

However, does that really matter to player characters/munchkins?:cool:

Making the Mars design into a good pistol would take a lot of redesign, I think. Except for "period" campaigns, you'd be better off with one of the Automag designs, or one of the Desert Eagles.

(You probably already know that, but, well, others might not.)

EDIT: I took out the link.

• 2 weeks later...

Making the Mars design into a good pistol would take a lot of redesign' date=' I think. Except for "period" campaigns, you'd be better off with one of the Automag designs, or one of the Desert Eagles.[/quote']

I recommend major caution with that particular link. Tried it just now, saw some nice gun pictures - and then copped some VERY aggressive spyware. It set off Windows Defender and AVG and Zonealarm all at once.

Automag .

DO NOT USE THE ABOVE LINK.

At least two Viruses and more besides - arguably no great surprise given that it is a Russian website. It has killed Windows Defender on my system and looks like I might have to reinstall that, but looks like AVG might have gotten it. Hopefully. If I subsequently disappear from this forum for a while, you know why.

Kristopher, I am sorry. I'm trying to be restrained and tell myself that you could not have known, etc. but I also am compelled (in the spirit of honest venting) to say "Thank you very bloody much!" :(

Much later. OK, I've cooled off now, and HOPEFULLY my computer is going to be OK.

Do not use the link, folks. Take this as a double-barrelled (pun intended) object lesson. Always look before you click, and if you absolutely MUST go into Russian websites, be extra careful.

I edited the link it out of my post.

And for what it's worth, I'm sorry. Didn't see any issues when I clicked on it, or I never would have posted it.

Did you happen to note the names of the viruses?

Your apology is accepted. I also apologize - I got rather het-up under these circumstances, as I hope you can understand.

Viruses in question (as ID'd by my software) were:

Packed.Monder

Small

Trojan Horse Backdoor Generic 11 AGZT

Your apology is accepted. I also apologize - I got rather het-up under these circumstances, as I hope you can understand.

Viruses in question (as ID'd by my software) were:

Packed.Monder

Small

Trojan Horse Backdoor Generic 11 AGZT

Thanks. I'll definately do some extra checking on my system at home to make sure nothing snuck in.

I hope that wasn't Max's site, world.guns.ru....

I have been going there for years. Never twanged the protections at work...

I checked the edit history on my post, and it was. I've been there several times and hadn't ever had an issue noted by any of my security. They had good photos and decent details on the pistols I was trying to note.

I checked the edit history on my post' date=' and it was. I've been there several times and hadn't ever had an issue noted by any of my security. They had good photos and decent details on the pistols I was trying to note.[/quote']

Huh. I have had issues with popup adds there, but...

That sucks. One of the best resource sites. :(