Need help naming ancient group of wizards

Vurbal

I'm working on an urban fantasy setting which is very mage-centric. I'm trying to come up with a name for an ancient group of magi that translates roughly to nameless, with no name, or nameless ones. I haven't gotten their history written yet, but I'm thinking they started in the Roman Republic, so either Latin or another language from around the same area (and era) would be preferred.

I tried an online English to Latin translator, but I wasn't happy with how the translations for those phrases translated. They didn't sound or look mysterious enough. Any suggestions would be appreciated. It doesn't have to translate exactly to one of the phrases listed above as long as it means roughly the same thing and sounds like a secret society.

Re: Need help naming ancient group of wizards

Offhand, I don't think that there is a one word Latin for unnamed. you'd probably use a nullo or sine before name -- e.g., sine nomine (without name) or nolo nominare (I don't want to name). But those don't sound like what you're looking for.

You could also look at ancient Greek instead and go with something like ανώνυμος (anonymos -> anonymous) or related words.

Or check the debased Latin Romance languages like Italian, French, Spanish, etc. to see what they do; or perhaps various earlier English and Germanic languages for words that sound more mysteriously magical.

Offhand' date=' I don't think that there is a one word Latin for unnamed. you'd probably use a [i']nullo[/i] or sine before name -- e.g., sine nomine (without name) or nolo nominare (I don't want to name). But those don't sound like what you're looking for.

That's pretty much what I came up with.

You could also look at ancient Greek instead and go with something like ανώνυμος (anonymos -> anonymous) or related words.

Or check the debased Latin Romance languages like Italian, French, Spanish, etc. to see what they do; or perhaps various earlier English and Germanic languages for words that sound more mysteriously magical.

I had found innominato as an Italian equivalent. If I can't find a suitable ancient equivalent it's probably what I'll go with.

I tried running a few synonyms for "nameless" through a Latin translator, and came up with these:

unknown: incognitus, ignotus, incompertus

hidden: occultus, absconditus

Incompertus will do nicely. Which is, of course why it's the only one you listed that I hadn't found already. Thanks for the help!