Variety of Summons

Naanomi

I want to summon a wide variety of demons. Normally that would be easy with 'expanded class of targets'... but I want some to be friendly, and some not to be friendly... the number variability is a factor too (but not so much).

Should I...

A: Buy Summon with some Variable Advantage/Variable Disadvantage to float around the amicability chart?

B: Buy a multipower with a few different number/amicability templates?

C: Buy a VPP with only demon summoning?

Re: Variety of Summons

From the game mechanics standpoint, I agree with ghost-angel. It serve to keep the number of demons she can summon small at first, increases naturally as she adventures across the mortal world.

However, I would like to add the idea for going with the build for the power that you think would be the most fun.

The easiest method' date=' just to deal with conceptually, is a MultiPower with a series of Summons dependant on Class and Friendliness.[/quote']

I agree, to begin with... I think once my 'repertoire' gets unwieldy (especially when I want to start summoning different #s of demons as well as different friendliness levels) that I will ask the GM to cash it in for a VPP.

I agree' date=' to begin with... I think once my 'repertoire' gets unwieldy (especially when I want to start summoning different #s of demons as well as different friendliness levels) that I will ask the GM to cash it in for a VPP.[/quote']

Sounds like a plan. You could also start adding in specific demons as her power gets stronger.

Neither a VPP or a Multipower handles the limitations quite right, however.

For a Multipower, the limitations that are shared by all your Summons (Extra Time, Gestures, Invocations, are some common ones) work fine. But any limitation that isn't shared (Hostile, for instance) is going to have minimal effect, because MP slots are based on active points. Now if the worst your summons go to is indifferent, no problem. But note you may be getting effectively shorted some points on anything less friendly.

VPPs are even worse in that regard, as even common limitations will have only half or less the effect on points. If your Summons have a fair amount of limitations, a VPP will be significantly more expensive.

A Multipower still might be your best bet, but you might want to compare the cost to simply taking a Summon with Expanded Class and the highest Amicability and quantity you need, and "Limited Power: Some Creatures are Less Friendly" (value would depend on the specifics).

I agree' date=' to begin with... I think once my 'repertoire' gets unwieldy (especially when I want to start summoning different #s of demons as well as different friendliness levels) that I will ask the GM to cash it in for a VPP.[/quote']

Hmm... no, I think you really only ever need 3-6 of the Summons.

You need a Friendly and an Unfriendly slot.

You can expand the Class or Number of either.

The only reason to break it down more than two is this way:

1) Low Level Friendlies

2) High Level Friendlies

3) Low Level Unfriendlies

4) High Level Unfriendlies

Unless you want to break it down into all 4 Levels of Amicable and 3 Levels of Antagonistic, which I think might be excessive. I'd choose 1-2 levels of each to work with.

After that you can expand the Class or Number of each Slot as appropriate.

If you want to break it down so you can Summon say 1 150 Point or 3 50 Point (as examples) Demons on Amicable: Slavish you buy the highest Point Value and highest Number value and tag a Limitation: Total Points Of Summoned Cannot Exceed Maximum Summon Value (-1).

So if you can Summon 8 400 Point Demons; then the maximum is 1 400 Points, 2 200 Point, 4 100 Points or 8 50 Point Demons with that Limitation.

Yes Summon is a Standard Power, yes Summon can be put insidea VPP, No I don't think it's necessary with a series of properly defined Summon Powers.

The easiest method' date=' just to deal with conceptually, is a MultiPower with a series of Summons dependant on Class and Friendliness.[/quote']

I like this idea, but I still have my own. Why not build the Summon with the advantages and limitations you want every summon to have on it. Then build a few different Naked Advantages to represent the making some of the creatures "Amicable" or "Weak Willed" or other such. You can place a limitation onto the individual Naked Advantages that says "GM's choice when they apply." That way he can decided if any particular day that a Summon is subservient to you. You can discuss with him the value of such a limitation and its reach.

Perhaps the GM likes the idea that because are still a Teen Champ (right?) that your imp, which is normally subservient, can come out as neutral or hostile. This is one extreme. Or you and him / her can work out a value for the limitation that says only 'certain' types of summons get X naked advantage and only some get Y and the rest get Z. This would help cover your bases and with the limitation you can get the point costs down. It may not be as cheep as a MP, though.

La Rose.