Multipower-Like Movement Powers

Re: Multipower-Like Movement Powers

Leaving aside a variety of specific nitpicky questions and issues, one way to do what you're looking for, Prestidigitator, that doesn't involve Power Frameworks would be Trigger -- either for a single Movement Power, or as a naked Advantage:

Trigger (+x) for any Movement Power built on up to YY Active Points; Only To Complete Movement Begun With Another Movement Power Up To Predefined Maximum Half Move Of ZZ" (let's call that -1/2, but the final value would depend on a number of factors I imagine).

You'd have to season to taste, but that's the basic idea.

Derek (and others) like to joke about doing everything with Transform, but the real secret workhorse of the HERO System is Trigger. ;)

Well, the combining of movement modes within a single Phase was really secondary. I must admit I might be stepping on your toes a little bit: what I was really doing is thinking of a change to the system so that Movement Powers in general are costed a little different. Probably as a general house rule, but whatever. Brainstorming.

It's always bothered me that in some games you can buy 1 hex of Flight and be able to overcome many obstacles to the point where it could be game-breaking, and yet I find disallowing those powers completely as the GM an unsatisfactory answer. You can always impose a minimum cost or something as the GM, but in any case.... It got me to thinking that being able to fly at all is really worth something significant. Being able to teleport at all can be worth something quite significant. Further and faster on all movement is also worth something quite significant. But in many cases once you can move really fast/far, it shouldn't be that expensive to be able to do it with another mode of movement that you already possess.

IMO it seems that is kind of the idea behind the Usable as... (Usable as Swimming, etc.) Advantage for Movement Powers as well. It serves to allow Speedsters to only pay once (and a little extra) to be able to move really fast in different mediums. So why not go all the way? **shrug**

It's always bothered me that in some games you can buy 1 hex of Flight and be able to overcome many obstacles to the point where it could be game-breaking' date=' and yet I find disallowing those powers completely as the GM an unsatisfactory answer. [/quote']

I'll tell you what, +1 for this. I've always felt that the first hex of any movement power is the most valuable and after that each additional hex is worth just a bit less.

That first hex of flight gets you over the wall eventually and saves you from falls, the first hex of TP gets you through the wall, the first hex of swimming prevents you from drowning. Additional hexes give you some more options and get you there faster but the first is always the important one.

I've alway felt that a buy in cost plus a cost per hex would be a better model for anything other than superhero games.

Movement [Constant / Costs Endurance]

The Movement power allows the character to travel from point A to point B. There are two components to Movement: Movement Rate and Movement Type.

Movement Rate

Movement Rate reflects the character's total travel distance per time unit. It is purchased as Meters Per Second.

Combat Movement Rate Cost: 1 Point Per 2 Meters

Non-Combat Movement Rate Cost: 5 Points Per x2 Combat Movement

Movement Type (Adders)

Movement Type represents the various SFX of movement and must be specified at time of purchase.

• Flight (20 Points): Flight allows the character to move through a gaseous medium in three directions.
  • Gliding (10 Points): Gliding allows the character to move through a gaseous medium in two directions and must move in a specific third direction in order to move any other direction (iow: moves in a static vertical direction in order to move horizontally)
  • Leaping (10 Points): Leaping allows the character to move from point A to point B by traveling in an arc that can not be changed or stopped by the character once started. Distance of point B may require a skill roll for accurately reaching point B.
  • Running (15 Points): Running allows the character to move along a horizontal surface to which a external vertical force is being applied to the character in order to keep contact with the surface. The character can move anywhere along the surface as long as the surface remains horizontal (relatively) to the vertical force being applied.
  • Swinging (10 Points): Swinging allows the character to move from point A to point B by traveling in an arc using an anchor point selected by the character and can not change direction once started. Distance of point B may require a skill roll for accurately reaching point B.
  • Swimming (10 Points): Swimming allows the character to move through a liquid medium in three directions.
  • Teleportation (20 Points): Teleportation allows the character to move from point A to point B without traveling through a medium. Distance of point B may require a skill roll for accuracy of reaching point B.
  • Tunneling (10 Points): Tunneling allows the character to move through a solid medium in three directions. Moving through solid mediums leaves a non-solid trail.

Here is another version of this concept without using a Multipower construct. Works just about the same though.

- Christopher Mullins

Here is another version of this concept without using a Multipower construct. Works just about the same though.

Yep. Absolutely. The Multipower thing was just a part of my thought process, and seemed a good way to present it, being similar to an existing build you could actually achieve in the existing system.

:thumbup:

• 3 years later...