Slow Time power question.

Ragdoll

I've seen this power produced in Champions before, one of them in the super powers data base. My question is, it seems to be just a speed drain.

I'm wondering how realistic a speed drain is. It wouldn't make the target any easier to hit right? They'd still have their DCV, and they'd still be able to move their full combat move in inches even at reduced phases, right?

So if you used the power on a speedster with CV 10, 20" of movement and Speed 8, if you reduced his speed to 3, he's still only be able to act on 3 phases but still with full CV and still able to move 20" per phase, right?

Re: Slow Time power question.

What you said is true. However there is a nifty little advantage called Link. With this advantage several powers can be combined to create one power that will have multiple effects. In this case use a SPD Drain + DEX Drain + Movement Drain in one linked power to make Speedy loose all of these stats. The biggest problem with this is that all three powers will then be considered one mega power and will quickly come against the DC cap in most campaigns. If there are any better suggestions out there, I would like to hear them as well.

Linked is a Limitation (not an Advantage).

The question you should really ask is what do you want to be the effects of slowing time down for someone?

If you just want to petrify them (but not necessarily damage them) then EDM with UAA works great.

If you just want to make it easier to damage a target then Drain vs. DEX is certainly one option that benefits your allies.

If you arent' worried about helping out your allies then an attack with either AOE or Explosion with a slow time sfx is probably the simpliest solution.

I think I have a modest build. Not sure about it though. Critiques and Suggestions for Improvements welcome:

Fire and Forget Time Dilation: 2d6 Drain vs. DEX, SPD, and Movement Powers all at once (+3/4), 1/2 END (+1/4); Ranged (+1/2). 50 points total.

Sustained Time Dilation: 4d6 Suppress vs. DEX, SPD, and Movement Powers all at once (+3/4), 1/2 END (+1/4); Ranged (+1/2). 50 points total.

Speaking as a speedster, actually Drain SPD is actually pretty crippling if done right.

Having a SPD much higher (2 higher) than the fastest character in the group lets me get a lot done, and when combined with multiple attacks, it's the base behind my offensive tactics.

A drop of SPD to party norm will start to worry me, and another hit would make me normal level. Granted it wouldn't hurt my offensive ability, but it would limit my combat moves (I wouldn't be able to say, leave the immediate area to get equipment, save hostages, put out fires, trip enemies, or do any of the other little bits).

For normals, a SPD drain can only be bad if you knock them down to SPD 1, in which case, you can actually easily make them suffer massive DCV penalties due to multiple attacks, as they can't dodge you well enough.

Entirely realistic? No. Able to mess people up? Yes.

Best,

-SC