Sentry City

quozaxx

When I found Hero Central (www.herocentral.net) I was in such joy. I could play Champions at my leisure, at my own computer. So I joined a game. After playing a while, I started collecting more and more books, and thought. I wonder if I would like GM-ing.

On August 7th, 2007, I started GM-ing my first game. I have never tried GM-ing for any extended period of time before, and the previous occasions, I admit I made a lot of mistakes.

So I tried it. This is the information I gave my soon-to-be players for Sentry City. Any of this information could be found out with little difficulties:

June 6th, 1806, Lewis and Clark see strange lights over the future spot of Sentry City on their trip back to St. Louis from the Pacific Northwest. They agreed not to publicly share their findings.

June 6th, 1906. The small town of Sentry is officially renamed Sentry City. Many "strangers" arrived on the fateful day, and strange occurrences were reported continuously on and off for months later.

An unofficial treaty was reached with the strangers who called themselves "The Grays". Details of the treaty and the strange occurrences remain sketchy at best.

March 6th, 1907, James Sentry, son of founder Jebidiah Sentry is born

June 6th, 1916, 9 year old James and his family are attacked by "living furniture". Jebidiah Sentry dies in the fight.

June 6th, 1926, 19 year old James temporarily quits his first year of college to search for a specific mystical item. He becomes obsessed with finding it. About a year later he rejoins the college scene graduating at the tops of his classes

June 6th, 1936, 29year old James to wed sweetheart Victoria. The wedding area is soon turned into a prehistoric scene. He manages to close the time rift, but not before his fiancé dies.

August 12th, 1943, James is drafted into WWII. He is soon nicknamed Dr. Bizarre.

June 6th, 1946, Dr. Bizarre, his troop, and several Nazis are suddenly transported to Sentry City where most of all his troop is killed along with most of the Nazis. Dr. Bizarre's left foot is blown off in the process.

June 6th, 1956, 49 year old Dr. Bizarre holds back an army of undead. At midnight the undead suddenly stop attacking and return to their proper graves.

June 6th, 1966, 59 year old Dr. Bizarre's secret ID is publicized. Nothing unusual happens, or at least nothing you know about.

June 6th, 1976, 69 year old Dr. Bizarre publicly announces retirement. The organization known as DEMON tries to take over the city. The town's heroes unite but most are killed. DEMON is run out of town by Dr. Bizarre, they haven't been back since.

June 6th, 1986, 79 year old Dr. Bizarre is attacked at a nursing home by a mechanical contruct later to known as Mechanon. This was Mechanon's first public appearance, and most were hoping his last.

June 6th, 1996. The folks at Sunshine Assisted Living Center find Dr. Bizarre dead in his room from a self inflicted wound to the head. He was believed to have shot himself at 6 am that day.

June 6th, 2006

Our story officially begins on June 6th, 2006.

Note: Since then Champion’s official history dates Mechanon as arriving on January, 1, 1985, and attacked a nuclear arsenal on October 17-18, 1985.

Re: Sentry City

The cast of players started as:

Lodestar (played by Lemurion) - an energy projector.

MetaMorph (played by Steve G) - a metamorph

Revenant (played by Zed) - a former villain

Squall (played by Squall) - a detective with gadgets

Ocular (played by - and still being played by Puck) - a mentalist

Wraith (played by - and still being played by Beasttt) - a brick / energy projector.

Steele (played by - and still being played by jkwleisemann) - a brick

and Fast Freddy (played by - and still being played by shooomie) - a speedster.

A very rounded group if you ask me.

I asked the players more about their background. This is the information I gathered:

March 6th, 1966, Victor is born.

April 30th, 1972, Danielle Walker aka Steele is born.

Aug. 8th, 1974, Daman (Fast Freddy's brother) is born.

June 6th, 1976, DEMON abducts several children for unknown reasons. Retired heroes Dr. Bizarre and Blue Bolt (long time friend and former troop member of Dr. Bizarres) stop DEMON and drive them out of the city permanently.

June 7th. 1976. The remaining 3 kids, (Victor, Danielle, and Damon) are finally returned to their homes. The truth is kept from them.

July 4th, 1976, Mike Thompson aka Lodestar is born.

Aug. 1rst, 1980, Jason Grey aka Squall is born.

Sept. 20th, 1980, A new illegal drug, called Meta, gives a very small percentage of people super powers. Sometimes temporarily, sometimes with side effects.

June 23rd, 1981, Freddy Johnston aka Fast Freddy is born. His father walks out on his life before he is born.

Feb. 2nd, 1982, Freddy's mother dies. 8 year old brother Daman takes care of Freddy.

April 1rst, 1984, Daniel Jones aka Ocular is born.

Then I provided them with a little taste of what they may encounter...

June 6th, 1986, a day in review.

""You will choose Dr. Bizarre if you refuse to be tested."" The unseen voice says.

""I'm not fighting you, taking on any challenges, or choosing anyone!"" Dr. Bizarre replies.

""Then we will help you choose. I will locate the potential in the city for you.""

POP

2 year old Daniel is quietly napping.

""This is Daniel, he has potential."

"Ha! He's what 2 years old? Your kidding me right?"

"If you accept a challenge now he won't be challenged for 10 years.""

The boy wakes up and searches for his favorite toy.

""Is he...?"

"Yes, he will most likely overcome that limitation because of his potential."

"I'm not taking your test or choosing.""

The child looks upward.

""See, he noticed us, potential.""

Dr. Bizarre remains quiet.

""Very well, we will keep searching.""

POP

A 2 year old Mickey plays with his toy car. ""Vroom, vroom, eert!"" His mother's smile quickly fades as gunshots ring outside. Mickey doesn't even look up at the gunshot sounds.

"Now, you're not gonna be like those gangs now are ya Mick. No you're not!. "his mother says.

POP

Mickey looks up as if searching for something.

"See, he knows something is here. Potential.""

Dr. Bizarre remains quiet.

""Very well, we'll keep searching." "

POP

""This is agent Hunt. I'm officially working my way into VIPER today. Working undercover with are family makes me nervous. But VIPER won't suspect an entire family. Raising Johnny right isn't going to be easy in this environment. Victor, that teen VIPER agent, will be here in about an hour to take us to the training facilities. I should be able to deliver this tape before...""

KNOCK, KNOCK

Mr. Hunt shoves the recording device in a box. He shows the teen in. Then he enters the living room with his friends, the Maxwell's . ""Victor, your early. You already know Robert and Marge Maxwell, my wife Carol, and son Johnathan. These are the Maxwell's kids, Devenan and Bill."

"Nice(HISS) to meet you. The other agents(HISS) are already loading your stuff up while I help you.""

POP

Victor, Devanan, and Johnathan look up.

""Is something wrong?"" Asks Mr. Hunt.

Victor adjusts his wrist bracelet.

""No, I'll help you get the kids in the car.

"Dev."" says Johnny. ""Is there something up there?

"Yeah""

The parents look confused.

""See"" says the voice. " "these 2 children have potential, maybe you can choose both."

"I'm not playing you games! I don't care about your stupid potential"

"No? Then we'll keep looking.""

POP

""Look,"" Victor whispers, " "VIPER checks(HISS) everything very carefully before delivering it"" pointing to the open box with the recorder in it. ""If you know what I mean. If you'll excuse me, I got to find a very specific doctor.""

POP

""You remember Daman don't you? But he has lost his potential.""

Daman exchanges a small bag of white powder for some cash.

""Maybe what happen to him 10 years ago made him what he is now. Have you thought of that?" " Dr. Bizarre asks.

5 year old Freddy walks in. The man with the white bag grabs his pocket.

""Calm down man! It's just our lookout Freddy. Why are you here Freddy?"

"I...I thought something was wrong" "He looks up at the wall. He whisper to Daman. ""I, um, felt something in here."

"You see." "says the voice. ""Potential"

Daman and the man also look up. Daman suddenly looks downward. ""It's nothing bro, nothing I tell you. Now run along.""

The man and Freddy leave.

""I'm not choosing"" says Dr. Bizarre

""We will continue our search then.""

POP

Daman takes a deep breath that sound like a sigh of relief.

Jason is playing in his bedroom

POP

""This is Jason, he has an edge the others didn't. He also has the meta-gene, surely..."

"You don't get it do you? I'm not choosing anyone, and if I don't choose what are you going to do challenge a 6-year old, or even a 2-year old? I'm not accepting your challenges!""

Just then Blue Bolt swings in the open window. Jason cowers. ""I swear, puff, I haven;t done this in a long time. Dr, your a hard man to track down. I had to make another bracelet. Mine got stolen." " He kneels down at the frightened child. ""What, you've never seen a superhero before?'"

Blue Bolt looks down at an older comic with his likeness on it. ""You know I never did look that good.""

Jason just stares.

""Your going to make this difficult aren't you?"" Blue Bolt drops a black pellet. POOF! The child instantly falls asleep.

""I really hated doing that. It was a low dose though. If we're lucky he'll just think this was a dream."" Blue Bolt looks up. ""They're asking you to choose again aren't they?"

Dr. Bizarre doesn't answer.

""OK, OK, I won't help."" Blue Bolt shoots his swing-line out the window and swings away.

""No? Then we will keep searching."" says the voice.

POP

Mike dribbles his basketball in the park. ""He shoots... Aww, man, missed again!"

Mike picks up the basketball.

POP

Mike drops the basketball and looks upward as if searching for something.

""This is Mike, his is approximately the same age as you, when you were first challenged.""

Mike picks up the ball and dribbles it very slowly, still looking upward.

""He has potential too. If you don't take our challenge perhaps we'll challenge him today instead.?

"I was too young when I started. I'm not choosing anyone! I'm not choosing from the 11 other kids you've already shown me and I'm not going to choose, even if you show me a hundred more!

"We will keep searching then:"" says the voice

POP

""Dr. Bizarre?'" Mike questions himself.

Danielle is with her best friend Molly. They are on the upper level of the still under construction mall. ""We shouldn't be here Molly! What if someone finds us?"

"Come on Danielle, where's your sense of adventure. Aren't you the one who's always writing adventure stories?

"Those are just stories, it's not like anyone will ever read them."

"Well, doesn't an author write from real life experiences?""

POP

Molly staggers almost over the edge of the upper level. Danielle catches her just in the nick of time.

""Are you OK?"" Danielle asks as she looks upward. " "Is something up there?"

"Um, let's just leave."

"Both of these 2 were chosen before. How about one or even both of them? They both have potential.."

"Look, I already told you, what 26 other times, I'm not choosing anyone!"

"We grow impatient!"

"Is that emotion you're showing? Will wonders never cease."

"If you don't choose when we reach 6 pm. We will number the kids and have you choose a number. I'm certain you'll think of a number eventually."

"NO!!!"

"Yes, that is what we will do. You have until 6pm. We will keep searching until then.""

POP

Just after 6 pm, a mechanical construct is destroyed over Sentry City.

June 7th. 1986. as the clean up of the mechanical construct, now named Mechanon, continues, it is soon discovered the head is missing among the wreckage.

Oct. 1, 1986, A free medical clinic is set up in the "slums".

Nov 11, 1986, Mickey is given a free booster shot at the medical clinic. The med student administrating the shot had a habit of hissing his ending S's.

Nov 21st, 1986, Mickey begins to show signs of being able to change shape.

July 13th, 1987, Danielle's mother dies.

June 6th, 1996, 8:30am, Dr. Bizarre's body is found with a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head. Time of death was approximately between 6 and 7 a.m.

May 10th, 1997, Freddy goes to jail yet again. This time for a museum robbery. He is sentenced for 10 years. The museum items, which included Mechanon's chest plate, were never found.

Aug. 18, 1997, Mike finished walking the west coast trail.

May 6th, 2000, Mike graduated from college.

Sept 4th, 2002, Mickey's mother passes away. He vows to keep straight.

Sept. 8th, 2002, Daniel's friend Edward directs him towards science.

Oct. 21st, 2003, Edward is arguing with in another room with a man (who hisses his ending S's). The argument is about when Edwards device will be finished.

Oct. 28th, 2003, Daniel accidentally sets off Edwards experiment, bombarding himself with nanites.

Sept. 16th, 2004, Mike sees a spaceship crash land. When he investigates, he touches the spaceship. He ends up in a strange room and sees a blue costume. When he reaches out to the costume, the costume crawls up his arm. Mike turns to light. He walks through the spaceship's wall only to run into VIPER. Mike defeats VIPER. Only a VIPER's leader (who hisses his ending S's) got away. Mike rescues Bill Maxwell, an agent of PRIMUS, from VIPER.

Sept. 24th, 2004, When Mike was on his way to lunch one day. The supervillian Bulldozer started wrecking the city. Katherine Wilson, a friend of Mike's gets in the way. Mike becomes Lodestar for the first time saving his friend.

Jan. 12th, 2005, MetaMoph uses his powers publicly for the first time to help an accident victim.

Feb. 27, 2005, Freddy (along with several other inmates) is given glowing green meatloaf to eat in prison (by a man who hisses his ending S's). Freddy eats the meatloaf.

March 3rd, 2005, Freddy starts manifesting his powers.

April 19th, 2005, Jason sees his mother murdered. The murderer is brought to justice by Blue Bolt. Blue Bolt takes Jason in and trains him.

May 5th, 2005, MetaMorph uses his power to bring down a VIPER drug house.

June 6th, 2005, Ocular is anonymously phoned (from a payphone) to check out a local bar (the man hisses his ending S's). When he gets there, he turns into Ocular for the first time and stops VIPER form tearing apart the bar. VIPER was celebrating the 9th anniversary of something.

June 14th, 2005, Ocular graduates from college.

Oct. 12th, 2005, Fast Freddy rescues and inmate from a VIPER super strongman (who also ate the meatloaf) while in prison.

Oct. 22nd, 2005, Danielle (and a few others) are kidnapped at a chemical plant she was quitting. Danielle is separated from the others (by a man who hissed his ending S's). Primus agent Bill Maxwell (and others) raid the place. The VIPER man tells Danielle to keep down. Bill shoots at the VIPER agent and misses, hitting a chemical canister. Danielle (and possibly the VIPER agent and Bill) are covered with the chemical.

Oct. 31st, 2005, Danielle comes back to the chemical company for her last paycheck. VIPER is back. Danielle becomes Steele for the first time defeating VIPER.

Dec, 1st, 2005, Not long after Fast Freddy is paroled, he rescues 5 people from a burning building.

Dec. 26th, 2006, Danielle receives her first acceptance notice on her "super" romance novel.

Jan. 12th, 2006, X-VIPER agents form their own group. Victor Krum is the head of the group. Victor has a bad habit of hissing his ending S's.

Jan. 15th, 2006, Squall investigates the findings of the previous October's chemical robbery. He determines that 2 different VIPER united were used and several containers were missing. Also, he discovers it was partly an inside job. The man was imprisoned due to Squall's evidence. The containers were filled with a refined, newer version of Meta.

Feb, 2nd, 2006. X-VIPER group raids a VIPER nest, and takes all their stuff.

March 28th, 2006, Squall defeats a VIPER Meta drug bust.

May 12th, 2006, Squall stops Green Dragon from assassinating a local DA.

June 1st. 2006, Fast Freddy is now part of the Guardians. A local PRIMUS offshoot group, comprised of rehabilitated ex-cons.

It was the Anniversary of the naming of Sentry City. There was a very large festival being planned. Some folks believed that aliens were the strangers involved.

The stage was set. An alien popped (literally) into the character's lives - while they were in their secret IDs.

They told them that VIPER had planned to abduct the entire festival. Each alien had a different personality.

Lemurian only posted 4 times for Lodestar- and simply stopped posting. Imagine my frustration. So, I asked -Al to play Lodestar, which he did.

Then it became apparent that Zed and I had a "personality conflict" - I won't go into detail. But he left on mutual terms.

Despite all of that, the rest of the heroes came to the festival. But they did not stop Viper from kidnapping the ENTIRE festival!...

In it's place was a swamp like area - entirely white. Complete with Giant white frogs, and a giant white man-eating lily pad, and right in the middle of the area - stranded innocent people... More later.

The Grays:

The Grays are from another galaxy. They were unemotional, logical beings. They are beings of their word. They had a quiet contented life. Their quest for intelligence expanded to the bounds of space travel. After they started their space travel. They noticed other sentient being in the universe.

These other beings weren’t “enlightened” as the Grays were. One suggested that they “help” these other species become more like the Grays so they could interact. They scanned many planets and saw some sentient beings with “potential”.

Potential, is the ability to become much more than they thought they could be. Originally this meant super powers, or heightened mental state. They have “helped” many planets. One of the scouting ships eventually made its way to Earth. And Earth had a lot of potential. So just like before, they went to the planet, in secret to check it out.

A squad of 120 Grays orbited the Earth. They remained cloaked and first observed the planet from a distance. They observed them for about 10 of our years in space. Their were many arguments that Earth people were to barbaric for “enlightenment”. But it was finally settled on an agreement that they are just not ready for “testing” - yet.

So a group of 25 Grays landed in a remote area. The future spot of Sentry City. The 25 Grays decided to land their ship in the lake. Little did they know that Lewis and Clark saw their strange lights. That was Earth year June 6th, 1806.

The 25 Grays decided to wait in stasis for 90 years and then see if the planet had changed or not. This was not unusual for the Grays to do. The top aliens were: Rockto, Varooka, Harkta, Vorka, Proova, Frooka, and Krovis

They aliens awoke from stasis on June 6th, 1896. They saw that the area by them had turned into a large town. The town didn’t even officially have an official name yet.

But the current leader Jebidiah Sentry had potential in him. The Grays made a secret pact with Jebidiah. They were going to test someone that was under 5 years old. But wouldn’t test them for 10 years, so they would have time to prepare the young person. Historians believe that Jebidiah was trying to trick the Grays, since everyone under 6 years old had died of a plague about 2 months prior the pact. But Jebidiah’s wife was pregnant. Krovis was put in charge of testing the unborn child after the 10 year period.

When Jebidiah’s wife gave birth 6 months later, and died during child birth. It was a boy and Jebidiah named him James. Jebidiah realized that this child would be viable for testing. Jebidiah wasn’t sure how to get out of the pact, since he knew the Grays were beings of their word. So, he trained the child in every means he knew, mentally, physically, and morally.

On his 9th birthday, James and Jebidiah waited for the Gray’s test. At precisely noon, the furniture moved as if alive. One of the books “told” James and his father that they had to collect something to represent each of the suits of a deck of cards. The furniture would try and stop them. At first they were not going to go along with this. They were going to fail the test on purpose. Krovis added a new rule: The furniture would get more and more violent the longer they took.

Fearing for their lives, they agreed to try. They took his dad’s diamond wedding ring, a spade shaped shovel, Jebidiah’s golf club, and James drew a heart. The furniture was getting violent, and the father and son duo declared a victory. But the furniture kept on attacking. They heard Krovis’ mental voice say “You haven’t represented all of the cards in the deck” There are more suits”

Thinking quickly, James said “My father is the King of this household. My mother’s picture is the Queen , Being their son, I am a Jack… So all I need to do is make a joke and I’ve covered the Joker.”

Before he could make a joke, a piece of furniture stabbed Jebidiah in the heart, with the spade, while another attacked James with the golf club. James knew that something was wrong. He could feel the Grays arguing. James, through his tears, mumbled something about a chicken crossing a road. Rockto stopped the furniture despite Krovis attempt to keep it going. He had passed the test. James thought it was the last test he had to endure.

The premise was simple.

After contacting the heroes, keep them distracted.

The heroes arrive on the scene. Freddy is there for the Guardians. Steele’ manager had set up a “kissing booth” in the festival , Squall was going to be there anyways, and the rest were coming because of their contact with the aliens.

They all get to the parking lot. Lodestar is late because of the change in players. While still arriving Ankylosaur and Pulsar drove up to the front of the festival. And yes, in hindsight, it would have been better if Pulsar flew them there.

They distracted the characters long enough for VIPER to set up cylinders all around the perimeter of the festival. There were a LOT of vipers. Steele helped hide Ocular (who in his secret ID is blind) turn into Ocular.

Before even one shot is fired, A force field surrounds the whole festival area.

Special note: It was impossible to break, the cylinders were the weak points. Technically it was a 40PD / 40ED force field. Hardened. The entire force field glowed slowly - and faster and faster, like a pulse like fashion each Segment.

It didn’t take long (from Phase 12 to Phase 6) to realize that the cylinders needed to be attacked and not the field. But Ankylosaur, Pulsar, and a hoard of Vipers kept them back until Phase 12 - when the whole area vanished with the white swamp-like area in it’s place. Every child, some PRIMUS agents (who were supposed to be protecting the festival), plus a couple of older people; who were in the festival area, were in the center of the new swamp area. They needed to be rescued.

But to complicate matters. Victor Krum shows up - he and his band of X-Vipers. He ends all his S’s with a hissing sound. Everyone knows someone from the X-Vipers. They help with the rescue.

By this time it’s December 2007. I’ve finally got the hang of things… Then the unthinkable happens….. More to come.

Now more Gray history:

Rockto turns to Krovis. “That seemed very illogical. What was the purpose of killing Jebidiah?”

Krovis response “We know nothing of the human emotions. If we were to test James, then we needed to probe into all aspects of the human condition, Especially emotions. “

“I still believe that James was too young for such a test.”

“That, I do agree with. Most humans do not show maturity until they are at least 13 or older.”

“I am satisfied with that assessment.”

“Then we test him again after he is 13, correct?”

“I am reluctant to say ‘yes’. James was given almost 10 years to prepare for this test. We should allow him to prepare for another 10 years. It would be in accordance with the original agreement.”

“I also agree with that. We will test him in 10 years, something challenging.”

“Yes, something challenging. I do not think another human should be killed.”

“I will agree on that condition, if you agree not to inform James that he is still being tested. That would indeed challenge him - not being prepared.”

“Agreed. I will not inform James that he will be tested again until exactly 10 years from this date. On that date, he will be informed an have little time to prepare.

Approximately one year later…

“Proova”

“Yes, Rockto”

“I wish to study the aspects of the human condition. I may even consider trying to experience emotions myself. I think that it would help us learn more on what to look for when determining if humans are able to coexist and share in our intelligence and technology.”

“I will allow you to study these emotions, but I do not agree that it should be experienced. I will re-evaluate this at a later time. Perhaps after James Sentry’s next test.”

“I value your observation. I will only study emotions. I will strive not to experience them.”

June 6th. 1926:

“James! James! Are you really going off to college? “

“Of course Victoria. I’m going to be a doctor, and as soon as I graduate, then I’ll ask you to marry me.”

“What if I say ‘no’? I’m not ready yet anyways. But I may say ‘no’ when you do ask.

“I would simply scour the globe. Forever lost. Always striving for adventure and excitement, but without my true love, have nothing else to strive for.”

Another voice interrupts “Adventure and excitement, like when you were 9 years old and ‘moving furniture attacked you”.

“Randy!” Victoria yelled.

“I don’t go by ‘Randy’ anymore sis.”

“Well ‘Randy”, it did happen. “ James replies

POP! An alien suddenly appears in front of the trio.

“Greetings James Sentry. We wish to retest you.”

“Get away from me demon!” James is holding up a crucifix.

“I assure you that I am no demon. I am an alien. My name is Rockto. I have taken great liberties to learn your language and use my vocal capabilities, rather than talk to you mentally. I figured it would be more acceptable to you.”

“The last time you “tested” me, my father died. I want no part of your tests.”

“We regret the loss of your father. Perhaps, I should explain in more detail We are testing humanity. You are only the proxy in which we want to convey our tests. Most likely if you refused, we would move to another individual for such tests.”

“I don’t care! Test whomever you want, as long as it is NOT me.”

“You do have the right to refuse. We would test the next most likely to surpass our test. It would involve adventure and excitement for years to come. We would consider to test your friend’s brother here, and there is a German and a Chinese person we would also consider testing..”

“Adventure? Excitement? Wait, Randy, a Chinese, or a German? I would not like any of those choices. Besides, I know my father‘s original “contract“ with you. Don‘t you have to pick someone who was born in Sentry City?”

“Originally that was true.:

Rockto pauses. “It would be more in accordance with the original agreement. We would simply choose someone else who was born in Sentry City, and is over 15 years old. Regardless, we would have someone else experience adventure, excitement, and see wondrous places. Possibly even us the bizarre technology only hinted in pulp books.

“So, I would really get to experience adventure, excitement, see wondrous places, and use bizarre technology?

“Your life itself would become bizarre.”

A smile sneaks across James’ face. “Wait, don’t count me out yet. You must know me very well. But, what if you don’t think that I am ready for your level of “excellence”. I should get some reward. I haven’t even had time to prepare anything. “

“If we didn’t think that you were ready for ‘advancement’, we would probably retest you”.

“In another 10 years?”

“Most likely. You have mentioned a reward. What is it that you would want?”

“Simply to be allowed to help shape the boundaries of any future tests.”

“I think that would be acceptable.”

“What would I have to do for this test”

“The test begins in one hour. Part of the test was for you not to be too prepared for it. Krovis, another alien, is actually the one giving you the test. He will be in charge of any test you take. Only he knows what you are to be asked to do.”

“If it’s for humanity sakes, I’ll do it. I can’t let you aliens thinking that red blooded Americans can’t handle any alien test. Just have him tell me what I have to do.’

“James, your not serious”. Victoria interrupts.

“This is what I always wanted. Action and adventure. Why not?: James says. “Rockto, can I have help with the tests?

“I do not see why not. The nature of all of the test are to stretch your ingenuity, creativity, and intelligence. There is no rules against gaining help. But, you will have to do most of the work.“

“Well, what are we waiting for? Victoria? Randall? What do you say? Just one curious question, what is the name of the German and Chinese fellow?”

“Dr. Fang and Albert Zerstoiten. I doubt if you have heard of either one, but both of their intellectual capabilities have yet to be fully discovered. I suspect that both will have an impact in years to come.”

Note: Dr. Fang is a mega villain in Masterminds and Madmen, and Albert Zerstoiten is Dr. Destroyer’s real name.

Things went from bad to worse in December to January. 3 of my characters left.

Lodestar (work), Squall (injury), and MetaMorph. (opted out).

I only had about 4 months under my belt, and I came very very close to ending the campaign right then.

But, thanks to my remaining players, they urged me to go on. So, I decided to open the game back up to new players - big mistake. Instead of looking over their characters, I immediately signed anyone up who applied.

New character - reason for leaving:

Chiller - was a killer in a non killing campaign - asked to leave.

Mimi - when I finally questioned his build of his character - let's just say it wasn't pretty; my bitten off head is STILL healing - asked him to leave.

Windward & Jinzo - 2 characters that didn't even last 14 posts. They unfortunately got caught up in the middle of all of this. I don't blame them a bit for leaving.

Only one new character stayed on. Tracer played by Falcon.

Somehow we managed to get a game going in good rhythm. The rescued the festival and stopped the aliens from giving either Viper (or Krum and his X-Vipers) any technology or mental powers.

This story line ended in May, 2008.

The new team (Ocular, Tracer, Steele, Fast Freddy, and Wraith) were renamed "The Guardians". While Krum and his followers were renamed "The Sentries"

But by bringing back the festival to our dimension, they brought something else with it......

Meanwhile, I decided I wanted one more player, but didn't want to reopen the campaign again.

So I asked a player from another game if he wanted to join, and Miss Mystique played by Reverend Greg joined.

Reverend Greg (Rev), wanted his 1940s ghost character to be integrated in the history story line - which I really like since I spent so much time fitting the others into it. So his character Miss Mystique (MM) became a sidekick to Dr. Bizarre.

Now, with MM in the group; the others realized that they brought back not only the festival from the swamp dimension, but also something that Dr. Bizarre banished there long ago.

It was a being called "The Dark". The Dark moved from shadow to shadow, it also "inhabited" person after person, filling that person with anger. That anger made The Dark even stronger.

Meanwhile, the barrier keeping DEMON out, had faded with the return of the festival. They wasted no time in heading for into the city towards a heavily wooded area.

Once the main characters realized that The Dark was causing trouble they had to leave the festival to track it. Steele (a female famous writer / brick) needed to distract the people in the festival so Ocular could change into his Ocular ID.

So she kissed "A female red head" (the player's words not mine). And told me she wouldn't mind if the red head became a hindrance to her character down the road. Sometimes I wonder if the player ever regretted that decision - more on that later.

The Dark was tracked back to a grocery store, where who should be there but one of the X-Vipers / Sentries. His name was Freight Train - a speedster / brick with anger problems. Freight Train was also the other person who ate glowing green meatloaf with Fast Freddy - who Freddy had stopped hurting a person in prison.

In other words, they had a past. Surprisingly, they managed to calm him down (really good rolls). The Dark managed to make it to the wooded area where DEMON was waiting for him.

DEMON opened up a hole to The Dark's original dimension. The Dark made DEMON more powerful and the fight was on. The Guardians won.

More Alien / Dr. Bizarre history:

March, 5th, 1927.

“James”, Says Krovis, “the next item I want you to get…”

“Hold it right there Krovis. You start me off finding a magic book in a cave on K’hull island. Not telling me that the 4 pieces were scattered through 4 different caves. That took me a month. Then you had me find magic puzzle boxes in Chinatown. You realize how many cities have a “Chinatown?” Each one had a puzzle box. That took me 4 months, and for some strange reason others new about our puzzle boxes we needed to find.. Gee, I wonder how that happened.

And then you had me find a magic staff and you didn’t even give me a location for that one. It took me 6 months, battling mole men, snake people, and Vitoria almost dying from that snake bite. 4 different places! You’re never going to stop are you?

Look you bug eyed alien. I have a strange feeling you are reveling in this. I am going back to school, and learn to be a doctor. I can’t do that if you are endlessly sending me on meaningless treks. I can’t even make heads or tails out of the items. They are useless.

“They are not useless if you figure out how to use them.” Krovis says.

“Can’t you “talk” like a human? It’s eerie to have thoughts put in your head”

“James, if you do not continue. I will have to recommend that you do not meet our expectations. This is more of a test of endurance. “

“I don’t think you would have stopped anyways. So, fail me. I am going to study up on every unusual and bizarre thing I can think of in the next 9 years. Plus, become a doctor on top of that. If that’s not meeting your expectations, I don’t know what will. I want to eventually settle down.”

“I begun to know you James. I know you can’t resist action. How will you fill that void?”

“I’ve already figured that out. Sentry City’s crime rate has skyrocketed. I will become one of those masked personalities. Like the Black Mask. He helped me find the final piece of that of the staff. He inspired me to make my own adventures at home. And still live my life. “

“You have disappointed me James.

“Wait, before you go! Just let me know one thing; were you ever going to stop until my 10 years were up.

“I’ve had enough items and pieces of items to keep you busy for the entire 10 years. Again, it was a test of endurance.”

“Then I don’t regret my decision. Just remember, I get a say in what the next test will be.”

“I will arrive with a proposal. You give me a counter proposal, and so on, until an agreement is made”.

James pauses “I know that I’m going to regret this, but I agree”

After the Guardians (as the newspapers now called them - not to be confused with Fast Freddy's former inmate group) defeated The Dark, putting him and several DEMON members back to his own realm; it was time for some well needed R&R. Tracer went on a 2 month break.

This was in June to July of 2008 (real time)

The team treated some of the Sentries (Krum's group) to ice cream. The ice cream shop was visited by some army men (MM has a thing for men in uniform, and Steele is a shameless flirt).

When who should walk in but the female red head that Steele kissed at the festival. She just so happened to be Cindy Cartell, mob boss' daughter. She was extremely jealous -to say the least. Freddy blocks Cindy's way to Steele. Cindy storms out.

The next thing Freddy knows, his brother, Damon is taken into custody for past crimes (he was a drug dealer, earlier in life),. Freddy goes to PRIMUS to bail him out. All of the VIPER agents and Demon members were there too. Lucy (Freddy's boss) was acting strange. It was a trap. Utility was trying to break out the VIPER agents.

Lucy attacked Freddy. Freddy was trapped, outnumberd, and about to be beaten senseless. Then something strange happened: Damon underwent some sort of metamorphosis. His brother "left" his body. All that Freddy remembers is a blinding light.

When the others arrived (called in by other PRIMUS agents), they come upon all of the criminals (and Freddy) unconscious. Lucy's uniform is now on Masquerade's body.

Damon's body was taken to the hospital. (shared a room with Squall), and to find out that Cindy had sent him to jail, because Freddy had blocked her way to Steele.

The next day the gang went to the court house to try to get info out of Masquerade

She already had her lawyer there. Monique Fontaine. They asked to be questioned in front of Judge Jackson - a crooked judge that always sides with the bad guys. But, MM rolled her contact roll (really well) and they got Judge Melba Mason instead - a good judge.

The laws involving mental search were complicated. In order to make sure that only surface thoughts were read they had to use a machine made in the 70s. It was originally designed by a criminal that MM had caught, Baron Mezmo. The Mezmotron was originally designed to give a person information about EVERYTHING. Total knowledge.

Mezo believe knowledge was power. MM stopped him and he is still resides at the mental institute hearing voices. PRIMUS altered it so anyone watching, via the device, they could see what the mentalist sees, and the law would be upheld.

Ocular, who is blind and thus can't read printed material, was put in the room with just Masquerade and the judge. Fontaine waited right outside the door. The instructions to operate the machine were written instructions. He couldn't call his friends in. He couldn't tell the judge that he couldn't see in front of the villains.

Ocular said he had a private legal question for the judge. At first the judge wouldn't let him ask privately, but with good rolls he convinced her. He told her he had troubles with printed material. This was most important considering if you do it wrong, you could be sent to the mental hospital if you hooked it up wrong.

Ocular hooked up the machine correctly, but there were more instructions on resisting opponents that he didn't know. She resisted. The machine stated to spark. Ocular got the information he needed. Something about the Air Show the next Saturday - One day away.

After the machine was pulled off of Ocular, Tracer came back from his long time away. He was with the real Lucy. (Cue dramatic Dum, dum, da-dum) He somehow found out about Lucy was caught and had to escape from a safe.

Needless to say with the real Lucy present they had all the evidence they needed to put Masquerade away for a long long time.

As they were exiting the court house, they smelled fire....

Hindsight is 20/20. Special notes about the original festival fight.

1. The team was introduced to a VIPER robot names Deathborg Mark I. The body of this unit was drained out by Wraith until it stopped functioning.

2. The team managed to instill a good relationship with the Grays. Especially the original ones that contacted them about the festival.

They are: Taka - The least powerful Gray, love obsessed with Steele.

Harkta - A someone prejudice (against humans) alien that was assigned to Ocular

Rockto - A very kind happy alien assigned to Freddy.

Proova - an unemotional alien assigned to Wraith.

There were a few more, but they were never really used.

Back to the story:

The group followed the smoke to a fire. Blowtorch was torching an ice cream shop. The same one the heroes visited the previous day. Next to the ice cream shop was an apartment building that was also on fire. And across the street they were building an IHA office. It had small fires that the IHA put out by themselves.

Freddy, Wraith, and Ocular went into the apartment building and saved many people.

Miss Mystique took out Blowtorch with one punch.

Steele went into the ice cream shop. In the freezer section was about 4 people. One of them jumped up and kissed Steele for rescuing her. A red headed woman.... Yes, that's right, it was Cindy Cartell.

Cindy had hired Blowtorch to torch the ice cream shop JUST so Steele would rescue her and see that SHE was in fact her true love.

Miss Mystique (MM) physically pulled her off of Steele. Cindy blamed MM for making Steele hate her.

Everyone is rescued and Cindy is sent to the insane asylum.

Of course that's not the last time the group would see Cindy

The next day (in Sentry City time) the group decided to check out the Air Show since they were convinced that there was more to Masquerade's intentions of going there besides kidnapping Lucy of PRIMUS and impersonating her. They went in their secret IDs

Wraith met up again with 4 meta humans that he saved from the fire. Wingman, Bumpy, Glow, and Opaque. She offered to set them up at her friend's place (her secret ID) until they get back on their feet.

Steele met up with her publisher Dameon Grey. (He is considered a hunted since he always causes trouble for Steele) He set her up to get a pilot's license. She was not happy. Then he tried talking her into taking parachuting lessons - since she was jumping that evening. She was not happy, until she found out that her trainer would be none other than Preston Commors, millionaire, handsome, influential.

Tracer went on patrol as his police officer secret ID

Freddy and MM went on patrol.

And Ocular (in blind secret ID) was offered "white swamp water" to "help" him with his blindness, sounding suspiciously similar to the swamp water they treaded in (VIPER was there a while before the heroes finally arrived and all), the swamp water made each of the heroes feel energized....

Brian Barnes: This man was Miss Mystique's date when they first visited the ice cream shop, and the man who helped Freddy out of the burning apartment building.

Brain meets up again with MM. He tells her an interesting story. (Note MM's been around since the 1940s). Brian, was a WWI pilot in the Great War. He was in a dogfight with the legendary Red Baron. When they duo chased each other into a glowing green cloud. While they were in the clouds, they noticed gremlins on their wings. The couldn't shake them off. They had a choice, either shoot each other's gremlins off or just shoot each other. They chose to shoot the gremlins off, and ever since then; Brian hasn't aged or died. He heals (slowly). He also seems stronger when in active combat.

August 26, 2008, 4 days before first anniversary:

Ocular (aka Daniel) ditches his new "friend", the one offering him a swamp drink

Freddy and Tracer (aka Davis) pull up to the PRIMUS / police security station

Miss Mystique and Brian's bus finally make it to the front of the air show. They see a blind man by the front. They are looking for Ocular, but he's no where to be seen. (he never did turn back to Ocular)

Wraith (aka Rena) is parking her car (in secret ID)

Steele and Dameon Grey drive up to on of the airplane bunkers.

Dameon is not only Steele's hunted but also Wraith's DNPC.

The outcasts have settled into Wraith's apartment.

Freddy and Davis, you see a podium being built right next to the security station. It's an IHA symbols all over it. They have papers allowing them to speak at the air show.

When they use the radio they hear:

--{Squawk, static, Line not secure. Static. garble. Not let Wraith and Gravitar meet. Or we Static, garblemost importStatic }--

Wraith also manipulates gravity. She ditches Dameon.

Steele, you see a very very handsome man (20 COM) next to a small plane: Preston Conners. They get alone with only the driver behind privacy glass. She leans over to kiss Preston, when.... He stops her. It's really Taka! He had too much integrity to continue in disguise. Dameon had set her up! She kisses the alien anyways.

Daniel reveals his true ID to MM and Brian, and eventually turns back into Ocualar. While MM makes sure it's clear for him to change, she sees about 40 mutants coming towards the IHA podium. The one in charge is Fenris.

MM uses her contact Judge Mason, to get the mutants a podium to talk from. Fenris mentions that he has a special speaker coming - Gravitar.

Meanwhile, IHA starts to speak in front of the cameras, and reveals their defence modules - Minuteman robots. To help mankind against the menance of mutants.

Campaign note:

There is a Super Power Registration Act.

The Act requires anyone with super abilities to register. It is voluntary in all but 4 states. It is mandatory in Nevada, Maine, Ohio, and Kentucky.

It's going to be on the ballet soon in this state as a requirement.

Steele and Freddy are registered (Freddy was registered as part of his release program, and Steele was registered by Dameon - which at the time seemed like a good idea)

The Act requires participants not only to be tested on the scope of their powers, but their identity would not be a secret to the government - and we all know how good they are in keeping secrets.

Other considerations:

Anyone with mutant powers cannot participate in "normal" sports. This is to instill fairness. But the IHA have stretched the implications of that meaning to include ANY mutant - even if their powers don't have anything to do whatsoever with the sport (like see through walls person couldn't even try out for competitive swimming)

The minutemen robots land without incident. The IHA talks to the camera and mentions that mutants have the potential of being dangerous and should be registered and reminds the audience that Steele and Freddy are registered.

Steele asks to speak on behalf of the the mandatory registration and turns it around to her favor. The IHA leader (Springs) tries to bait the mutants in the crowd, but thanks to some previous intervention, they remain still.

About that time, one of my players drives home the point that they HATE -no LOATH mutant hunting campaigns. Hate it with a passion. So with some quick role playing, I allow Steele to take over.

Then Springs starts acting nervously, and wipes, his head, and reaches into his pocket. And lo-and-behold, Grond, emerges from one of the hangars, enraged. Wraith makes a citizens arrest on Springs for releasing Grond

The mutants in the crowd help the "normal" people to safety. The minutemen attack the Guardians, not Grond

The Guardians take out Grond first and then the 3 Minutemen robots (2 were manned one was not).

Another Gray / Dr. Bizarre history in detail:

June 6, 1936; 10:00 a.m.

“…And do you, Victoria Irons take James Sentry to be your lawfully wedded husband…”

The entire wedding area, with exception of the wedding party, turns into a prehistoric looking area, complete with dinosaurs. But nothing is moving, not even the people.

“James…”

“I know, you giant headed creep! It’s time for a test. Can’t I finish getting married at least?

“If you wish to make that part of your amendment, you may.

“Let me guess, since I haven’t studied prehistoric worlds, it involves that? Before you begin, what is my prize this time?

“Prize?

“Yes, last time I got to decide to make amendments to any of the tests. This time I would like to know how those items you had me recover in my last test, work. I’ve tried everything.”

“Very well, it will take you about 5 years, but I will reveal their secrets. It is not in our nature to reveal everything. But I will lead you in the right direction..

“OK, hit me with your proposal.

“I propose taking some of the Sentry City citizens in this prehistoric landscape and hiding them. You simply have to find them and bring them back here.

“Oh, I’m not falling for that.. I’m not looking for a thousand people. I’ll agree to, let’s say, 5 Sentry City citizens, but I get to chose who they are.

“As long as your fiancé is one of your choices.

“OK, but, I don’t want anyone murdered”

“I will neither murder nor prevent the dinosaurs from going towards their instincts.”

“What is this a tennis match? You won’t entice the dinosaurs to attacking or harming anyone I choose either, plus the people can defend themselves.

“With only the items normally found in this time period.

“The people must be within a 10 mile radius of this wedding sight, and no time limit.

“The time rift will remain open until every hidden person gets back to this wedding sight.

You may not alter the 5 people in any way, shape, or form. Simply hide them like a normal human Hid-and-seek game would be run.

“I am uncertain if that is challenging enough for you, but I will agree to those terms

(Then onward we go)

Right after the confrontation with IHA, Ocular was handed a note from signed "Kid". It said:

"The future is not set in stone. There are many versions of it.

Get details from Freddy about December 1st. 2005.

Decide if I should continue to help my father steal a plane or not.

Need answers by June 9th. before 7."

Since he is blind, and thus cannot read, he had MM read it for him.

They find another note. It says:

Freddy December 1, 2005.

I will help my fathe..

The note ends there. On the back is a circled "#5, 1 more to go.

Wraith goes to a mental hospital to meet with an unusual man named Owen. Owen claims he is from the future and has information for the Guardians. This is the first time Wraith realizes that Cindy is in the mental hospital.

Note: In this mental hospital, the first floor is for "normal" crazy people, and the second floor is for super powered crazy people.

These are the main inmates on the second floor:

Comrade Bizarre - a Russian copy of Dr. Bizarre, his mind is locked away in another dimension.

Black Mamba - who thinks he's a snake

Snap Shot - used people (laterally) as his canvass

Solar Max - Thinks Nuclear Energy is of the devil and must be purged.

Doc Kimmel - Pro Hitler, who tried to make everyone into a zombie.

The Flea - Who is carrying a taxidermy dog made out of parts of other dogs (Grayhound legs, Bloodhound nose, Pit Bull teeth. Mastiff's ... um the dog's male)

The Flea smiles and comes up to you. "Hi, how are you? Are you here to visit me?"

The taxidermy dog seems to growl - with a perception roll of -4 you can tell it came from The Flea via ventriloquism.

"Oh, hush Precious, he's here to meet someone. Are you here to visit me? No one ever visits me."

He looks hopeful.

Steele and Freddy are trying to figure out how to deal with Gravitar, who is still coming. Freddy decides to go on a date with her, to talk her out of making a speech, and possibly ruining the great job that Steele has done.

Tracer noticed the following:

Things to know about Masquerade:

1. You doubt that IHA would work with a mutant.

2. She may have been doing something at the festival sight; when it was a power inducing swamp.

3. She is a mutant, but hasn't really been an active outspoken person for mutant rights. But she keeps to herself.

4. She was disguised as Lucy - but why?

5. She was probably working with somebody - someone who may still think that Lucy is Masquerade.

He hear some men talk about Masquerade, and calls for back-up.

Tracer has changed back into Tracer, and is probably wondering why no one else has show up yet.

Daniel is still Daniel. And a PRIMUS officer says "Sir, This is official business. I'm going to have to escort you away from this area."

MM is Barbara. No further signs of Brian. But you do see 4 familiar mutants: Glow, Bumpy, Wingman, and Opaque.

Steele and Freddy see Preston Conner's private helicopter land, then take off again. (PRIMUS directed him away from the area).

Wraith returns to Steele and Freddy with the old man. Who's name is Owen.

Gravitar is about to arrive in 30 minutes. It's dark now. 7:30 p.m. It's cloudy, which makes it look even darker.

On December 1st. 2005. Is where Freddy did his first public rescue as Freddy.

He saved 15 people from the fire that day. Only one fatality. A woman maned Martha.

Martha was actually close to the exit, but you didn't see her because of the smoke, until it was almost too late. She died of smoke inhalation 2 days later. She had a 14 year old son and a husband. Both were at a basketball game and returned afterwards.

He never met the husband or the son.

During Tracer's investigation, he realized that Masquerade was after something else, something to do with the swamp water that Ocular / Daniel was offered.

The swamp water from the other dimension gives people temporary mutant like powers. Tracer found out that VIPER got a hold of some (via Masquerade) and added an addictive agent to it.

MM found out that several pilots have been missing for a while. These pilots pilot skywriter planes. The planes were originally to be used to make a flag formation in the sky, with their smoke type machine.

The team put 2 and 2 together and thought it would be easy to modify the machine to coat the very crowded air strip with the swamp water, thus making a very large area addicted to their mutant-making swamp water. Plus they could use the confusion to kidnap Preston Conners (the real one).

Tracer finds 20 VIPER agents, a new foe Copperhead, and the kidnapped pilots. He calls for backup again. At that precise moment Gravitar arrives.

Daniel finally gets to turn into Ocular, thanks to Steele yet again. On top of that they find out that the 20 year old mutant that Wraith saved from the fire - the one covered in bumps (Bumpy) is also the old man who knows the future that Wraith got out of the mental hospital. That's right Bumpy is Owen.

Freddy meets up with Gravitar and convinces her to not make her speech. Owen helps to convince her. Freddy agrees to go on a dinner date with her. Wraith gets Bumpy and Owen out of the way.

Sentry City date: June 8, 2006; 9 p.m.

When they arrive... the place is empty except a DVD player and a home made DVD. They play it.

It says:

The DVD is put in and played. You see Siphon smiling contently.

"Don't you just LOVE teleporters. You can't catch them, and when you do they don't stay caught.

Plus, the fact that my s... I mean Kid can see visions of the future, and I knew you were coming didn't hurt either.

First let me say that I am trying to change things in a big way. That's the reason for the pilots.

Kid says that you will be a constant thorn in my side. I can't have that.

So, I have come up with a plan to either get rid of you, or I'll probably end up captured.

Good odds don't you think? I have a personal stake in this anyways."

He pauses

"Saturday, this airfield will be filled to the brim with people. They will be seated on bleacher and on the grass, watching the air show which starts at 9 a.m.

At precisely noon, I want a chance to take you Guardians down! We will take you on in the middle of the airfield - far enough away so innocent people wont get hurt. Kid's already seen that.

If you decide not to show up, I still run my plan through. Simple as that.

So, if you think about it. The only possible way to stop me, is to confront me.

No PRIMUS, or that "innocents not getting hurt" clause will be null and void. Do I make myself celar?

I can't help but smiling at the fact that not only am I going to take you all down... but I'm going to do it in front of thousands of people.

Your choice. Don;t disappoint me.

And did you really think I'd be dumb enough to corner myself inside of a hangar surrounded by PRIMUS agents - give me a break!"

The transmission ends.

Siphon, Paste, and Kid were all in the festival helping VIPER when they disappeared when Siphon tried to escape from the Guardians.

Then on October 18, 2008; Falcon (aka Tracer) makes his last post. Never knew why he stopped posting.

Because of the notes that Kid has been giving Ocular, they finally figured out that Kid and Siphon are the father and son of the woman Freddy tried to save from burning all those years ago.

Lucy (head of PRIMUS) tries to convince the Guardians to take down Gravitar, without any luck.

Freddy and Gravitar go out, and Gravitar agrees to change her speech, but still wants to speak. She goes home after the meal and the transmission is never seen. It seems Tracer (aka GM) followed her and found a way to distrupt her signal.

The Guardians get back together (without Tracer) to review the DVD for clues. They find out that VIPER has taken them back to the swamp dimension. (A perfect place to hide a large group, and get more swamp water) One of the pilots manage to contact the Guardians through VIPER's communication system.

He let's them know: "I heard them say they are afraid you'll mess stuff up. Tomorrow at about 9, they are going to send six swamp animals through to keep you occupied."

PRIMUS had some of the cylanders used (in evidence lock up) in tranporting the festival into the swamp dimension. So they were headed back to the swamp.

Cast of characters:

Barnes, Brian - A WWI pilot, that, one day, while he was following the legendary Red Baron, when he found that he (and the Red Baron) had gremlins on their planes.

Instead of getting rid of his own gremlins, he decided to be honorable and shoot the Red Baron’s gremlin off his plane. He then spiraled through a glowing green cloud., expecting to die.

When he awoke, he realized that he could heal after any wound. Brian discovered that he never aged as long as he was a part of some war. Officially he is now Brian Barnes III.

Brian can pilot almost any aircraft. He started off in the Air Force, but now is in the Army. He recently pulled Freddy out of a burning building.

Bumpy - (Owen) Bumpy is a 21 year old mutant, who is covered in bumps from head to toe. He does register on the mutant detector, but has never figured out what his powers may be. He was tired of getting chased by the IHA and was ready to take his own life, when Wraith rescued him and his friends. His future self visited and now he knows he will eventually have time travel powers, and possibly be involved in PRIMUS.

Cartell, Cindy - The daughter of business man (and suspected mobster) Izzy Cartell. Her mother died while giving birth to Cindy, and Izzy was overprotective , but never ever showed affection. So Cindy craves it in any form. He grandfather Protoff told her that one day she would be kissed, and her soul would interlock with another person. Cindy took that to extremes after Steele kissed her.

Cartell, Izzy - Let’s face it, Izzy is a big local mobster. Even though most people do believe he is an honest businessman. He “took over the business” from his father Protoff in 1981. Izzy runs the mob callously. He doesn’t care if kids get hooked on drugs, or gang wars get started from his illegal weapons, or prostitutes die from their pimps. Izzy does care for his daughter in a strange way. He won’t show affection, but he will go to great lengths to give her what she wants.

Cartell, Protoff - Protoff is the classic mobster. He was taken over by his own son in 1981. He resides in the same retirement home that Sentry killed himself in.

Copperhead - A VIPER agent from the Dragon Branch. It is difficult to determine from the armor that “he” wears, if “he” is a male or female. It is possible that more than one person has worn the armor. Apparently, this Copperhead can detect danger, and was able to point out Miss Mystique.

Dark, The - A mystical force that twist and feed off of an individual’s emotions - particularly hate, anger, and fear. Happy emotions and bright lights do seem to bother it. It can be trapped by a ward, just like Miss Mystique can.

It is believed to have been involved in many historical events. Dr. Bizarre (with Miss Mystique’s help) trapped it in a “light” dimension for 30 years. It escaped and is now seemingly trapped in its own dark dimension. But it took several DEMON members with it. Was this its plan the entire time?

It is unknown if The Dark can interact with physical objects, except through possessing other people. When it does possess others, it leave a weaker version of itself behind. Which can be removed by happy emotions, bright mental light, or an exorcism ritual.

Deathborg Mark II - A new robot designed by VIPER. (or at least that’s the theory), Mark I was “destroyed” by Wraith in the Festival fight. It has made upgrades since then…

It has killing attacks, and does not have a powerful enough mind to be affected by mental attacks.

Freight Train - An easily angered thug. Freight Train was given glowing green meatloaf by Krum, just like Freddy was. Freight Train was already large and strong. Now he’s literally more powerful than a freight train.

Freight Train’s past is filled with emotional scarring. He takes any insults personally, and holds a grudge. He does seem like a child at times. Krum, refuses to talk down to FT. He has given the positive reinforcement that he so desperately needed. He is Krum’s loyal body guard.

Glow (Paula)- A 16 year old girl who started glowing just 2 years ago. She seems to be the most optimistic about her future. It is unsure why she was going to let herself die with the other mutants.

Grey, Dameon - Steele’s publicist and Wraiths editor. He has an knack of putting Steele into uncomfortable situations. He also occasionally gets in the wrong place at the wrong time. He doesn’t treat Rena (Wraith) with the same “disrespect” as he does Steele.

Jackson, Judge Jimmy - A well know judge that has a habit of siding with criminals, VIPER, IHA, - well anyone but super heroes. If there is a procedure not followed, a file not filed correctly, he will find it and side with the wrong side.

Johnston, Dameon - Freddy’s brother. He started life out as a drug seller. He often had young Freddy as a “lookout”. Dameon has recently shown some very powerful abilities. He was able to knock out several individuals (villains) in one blow - how he did it is sketchy. His body is presently at St. Andrews Hospital. It is unsure if his mind is in his body. He shares a room with Squall.

Kid (Kevin)- A 15 year old with mental powers. Kid seems to be confused about his role with VIPER and his father.

Lodestar (Mike Thomas) - Mike was a history teacher that got his “suit” from an alien ship. (not the Grays), He was an energy projector, but lost his powers when confronting The Dark inside of the festival.

Lu, Lucy - Leader of Sentry City’s PRIMUS division. She is the one who started the Guardian program. A program used to assist reformed cons. The Guardians are now the name the news gave to our super group. Lucy, when severely agitated, cause things to go wrong around her.

Mars, Justin - currently the head of BEACON

Mason, Judge Melba - A former lawyer who helped out Miss Mystique, Melba is now a honest judge. She will side with the law.

Metamorph (Mickey Blue) - Mickey believes he is a mutant, but he was injected by Krum at a young age. Mickey had Metamorphic powers. He also lost his powers shortly after meeting The Dark at the festival.

Opaque (Cathy)-A 15 year old girl who is transparent. She started being transparent just a year ago. It is uncertain why she was going to let herself die with the other mutants.

Paste - A VIPER villain, that can shoot any kind of entangle. He has a jetpack.

Siphon - A VIPER villain, that can teleport and can drain a person of characteristics. It is uncertain if he can also drain powers.

Slow Poke - An unusual person that is blurry just like Freddy. He is very slow and has never spoken. It is uncertain if he even has powers - since he’s never shown them.

Squall (Jason Grey) - A detective that was fighting VIPER when he was bitten in the leg by a glowing white snake. He is at St. Andrews Hospital and shares a room with Dameon. He is still unconscious.

Springs, Steven - The current head of the IHA. He hates mutants, or any super powered person.

Techno (Edward) - Edward was working on a nanite transformer, when Krum showed up. It malfunctioned, and the transformer bathed Ocular (Daniel) in nanites. Edward blames Daniel for his experiment going haywire, and is now with Krum. Techno drank from the swamp water and now seemingly controls anything electronic, or machine made. He has given Ocular a week, then he says he will take his nanites back.

Wingman (David)- A17 year old boy who was born with his wings. His step father has tried to cut them off on several occasions. He managed to do it, but they grew back. Wingman’s wings are too small to fly with. He often wonders if they were never cut off in the first place, if he would be able to fly.

The Guardians ask one of the friendly Alien Grays how to get to work the cylinder to get to the other dimension. This is a contact. Each person is assigned a different Gray. Each gray has a different personality. The main problem is that they use Ocular's Gray contact - Harkta - who is condescending, overbearing, and hateful.

Ocular's update to Freddy:

Viper has planes designed to sky-write. They are converting that glowing swamp water from the other dimension into gas. There is also indication that they are going to pop through some big bad beasties to distract us when they are ready. We are talking about going in and stopping them short. We have a cylinder, it's set for the glowing swamp and we know how to use it."

When they arrive in the swamp, they are attacked by 5 giant glowing white mosquitoes, as large as a person's head. After Steele squishes a giant mosquito, I question her on her Code vs Killing - Total. We decided bugs are ok, but animals are not. And she would stop the others from killing.

When Ocular used the Mezmo machine on Masquerade, he heard an occasional voice, mostly mumbled. Now, in this dimension, he hears them more clearly and more often. All of the voices are only inside his head.

After they get rid of the mosquitoes, a giant white bobcat attacks them. Ocular has difficulties because they are Animal class of minds.

When they get there they see:

You see one that looks kinda like a bear

One that has a large head

One that looks like he has wings

One that looks eerie

Two that are flying without wings.

Siphon, Paste, and Copperhead are not there. They have some glowing white swamp animals in cages.

MM casts an illusion, which the agents waste their Phase shooting. And noted that I could do a blow by blow account of the fight, but I choose not to.

The Guardians win, with a little help from a glowing white bobcat that got loos (thanks to MM) from his cage.

After the Guardians round up the VIPER agents, they start turning back from super VIPERS back into normal ones, but look like they are recovering from an addictive state. Ocular continues to hear "voices.

Ocular mind reads the leader and finds out that 2 of the 6 planes are not in the swamp. Instead they took them back to our dimension. He also discovers that he knows about MM getting her powers. She was "killed" by a vampire and turned into a ghost.

When Ocular probes further, he knows that Fritz (VIPER leader's name) knows how to revitalize the vampires. When he probes further. He crunches on a suicide tablet, and dies before revealing too much.

When Ocular asks others about the information he hears (mostly names) from the voices, no one recognizes their names. However, Mezmo (the one who made the machine in the first place) also has heard voices since the 1950s, and is also in the Mental Hospital.

When they return to our dimension, they are in the middle of a trap. (Kid can see the future after all) They are met by, Copperhead, Paste, Siphon, Kid, and the Deathborg Unit that looks like it has upgraded.

Steele, who uses OIFs (available material) doesn't have any available material. Ocular, couldn't tell who was who inside of the planes; and there was an automaton to fight. And Freddy who needs to eat every hour and hasn't eaten in an hour; were all having their problems.

Freddy, who I'm not sure EVER got hit before, got Ego blasted by Kid the mentalist. Freddy apologizes for not saving his mother in that fire long ago.

Freddy tries to talk Siphon and Kid out of fighting. But Kid says:

"I want those IHA agents to be temporarily super human. When they get their powers, and then lose them again. They will come back for more. "

They tell Kid that VIPER put in an addictive agent to the swamp water. Siphon (Kid's father) keeps telling Kid to keep attacking, But thanks to some good talking from the Guardians. Kid attacks his father instead.

When they unmask Copperhead, inside of the armor is a 9-year old girl. They are not convinced that the little girl in the Copperhead armor is indeed Copperhead. Kid mentions that Copperhead is very vain about her armor.

They trick her into protecting her armor. Then Wraith takes off the 9-year old's bracelet, and the girl turns older and older until she's about 60. She is taken to PRIMUS.

Tuesday June, 6, 2006, The Guardians saved a Festival from the VIPERs (and aliens)

Wednesday, June, 7, 2006, The Guardians drove The Dark back to his own dimension

Thursday, June 8th, 2006, The Guardians fought a fire,

Friday (early morning) June 9th, 2006, The Guardians took on super VIPERS. (in the swamp dimension AND in our dimension)

So I let a 3 weeks go by without much incident. (actually it was one week but I am officially extending it.)

Brian is now the official pilot of the Guardian's super plane - given to them by PRIMUS.

And Freddy takes custody of Kid, whose real name is Steve

Everyone (but MM) gets a PRIMUS radio that they can use in case of emergency.

MM meets with Krum, who she believes killed Dr. Bizarre and staged it as a suicide. Krum gives her Dr. Bizarre's will.

Now beyond that, I know my players read this, so I'm not going to go into details about what happened next.

Ocular's player is tired of playing a mentalist, so he changes him into an Energy projector via the nanites that gave him mental powers in the first place. His hunted Techno attacks him at his house. (yes, his hunter knows his true identity). Nothing electronic works. Not even his radio or phone - thanks to Techno. He drives him off and goes to PRIMUS for help. To top it all off he runs into a bank robbery in progress.

Freddy takes Kid to meet his favorite Alien Rockto. Rockto warns him vampires are coming (in his own mysterious way) They also discuss Krovis, the one who originally tested Dr. Bizarre. Krovis is helping the Vampires so they can be more of a test against the Guardians - who Krovis acts like they took the place of Dr. Bizarre.

Steele, while in the check out lane at the grocery store, sees her picture in a tabloid. It is when she kissed Taka (her alien) in the back of the limo. Dameon, her publicist (/ hunted) set her up by having the driver take the pictures.

Rena (aka Wraith) hasn't heard from Dameon (her DNPC - the same person as Steele's hunted) She has a new horror book hitting the stands, and should be hearing from him contnuously. Rena calls Dameon and a woman answers the phone. Cindy Cartell - yes the same Cindy that was kissed by Steele, the same Cindy that burned down the ice cream shop she was jilted by Steele, Yes the same Cindy that SHOULD be at the mental hospital.

I think that it's funny that Steele had to almost talk herself into saving her publicist/hunted.

The bank robbers are "normals" with guns and easily defeated by MM and the new Ocular.

To top it off, MM is warned that Comrade Bizarre has somehow broken out of his mental entrapment Dr. Bizarre put him in back in the 70s. He is also at the mental hospital. Comrade Bizarre is a mega villain who practices necromancy - which MM is especially vulnerable to.

Steele calls Cindy and arranges a meeting. Yes she is still at the mental hospital.

Residents at the mental hospital:

Black Mamba - Black Mamba (Nicole Mint), was an ordinary person. She hung out with the wrong guys. One day she went with a strange man. She ended up in the VIPER testing facility. They tried to make her more snakelike, but with mixed results. She has snakelike powers, but she is also now convinced she is a snake. On her first mission. Squall captured her easily, and went almost directly to the mental institute.

Blowtorch - Blowtorch (Perry Johnson) . Perry was an pyromaniac early in life. He’d chase fire trucks to watch the buildings burn. He got tired of watching fires and decided to set them instead. He stole a suit from the Army. Cindy sent for him to come to the mental institute (he was probably going to be placed there anyways). When the heroes arrived, Blowtorch had the power to create fire and control it. No one is saying how he got the powers, but glowing meatloaf was mentioned.

Cancerous - David Hansen checked himself into the mental institute. He was trying to control a demon. But he claimed it was trying to control him instead.

Comrade Bizarre - No one knows Bizarre’s real name. He was first seen publicly 30 years ago. He was an effort by the Soviet Union to combat Dr. Bizarre. It is rumored they used Dr. Bizarre’s DNA. It was almost a draw, the 2 were evenly matched. Comrade had Miss Mystique under his control. The good doctor broke her out of her mental dominated state just long enough for her to distract Comrade. Dr. Bizarre put Comrade into a mental state. He was put into the mental institute where Dr. Bizarre helped make his room up to keep him inside. But spells fade after 30 years…

Doppelganger - John Doe doesn’t know what his real name is or even if he has his own face. He can copy anyone he touches, and gains a little bit of them in the process. He is a very confused person.

Fei Yun - A Japanese assassin. Claims he allowed his own capture to be put in the mental institute. It is rumored that he is Japanese Ghost’s husband.

Flea, The -Irwin aka Handy, aka Mr. Big. Irwin was physically and mentally abused as a child. His father never beat him during “Lassie”. - the perfect dog. So, he figured that he’d make the perfect dog so his father would love him. It took Miss Mystique a long time to track down Irwin, and even longer to find out that he was Mr. Big, Handy, and The Flea.

Mr. Big was the brains of the operation

The Flea was the muscle

Handy was the coordinator (and protector of Irwin)

Irwin was the lackey.

Japanese Ghost - Japanese Ghost was an assassin sent to release Snap Shot (only she knows why). But Snap Shot killed her. She is forced to roam the hallways of the mental institute.

Mezmo, Baron - Calvin wanted to learn the secrets of the universe in the 70s. He made the Mezmotron. A device later used to search suspected criminal minds. The Mezmotron malfunctioned and Mezmo started hearing voices. He could not stop them. He’s been spending the last 30 years in the mental instititue.

Precious - A dog that was “created” by Irwin as an attempt to make the perfect dog. He is a dead dog made out of other dog parts.

Silver Avenger - Carlos was a former PRIMUS agent who had a mental breakdown. He cowered in fear for unknown reasons on his last mission.

Snap Shot - Judas Reed was first on the scene leaving a trail of bodies, that he used in his “art”. Lodestar took him out from a distance. Everyone thought he would never hurt anyone else again behind the mental institute walls. They were wrong. Now he is in a coma,

Solar Max - Maxwell Evans was concerned about the environment at an early age. One day he was hit with a strange bolt of energy from the sky on a sunny day. Since then he has been overzealous about the environment to the point that he thinks modern technology is evil. He tried to destroy a power plant. The Champions were passing through and stopped him.

Sopak, Gloria - She is the director of the mental institute. She is fair, kind, and gentle. She truly believes anyone can be helped through therapy.

Thug - No one knows anything about Thug. Not who he really is. Not where he came from. Or even how he got into the mental institute. There is no record of Thug anywhere. There is no past on Thug whatsoever.

Zimmel - Zimmel is obsessed with zombies. A former German officer who wished for the Nazi days to come back. He even tried to raise Hitler from the dead. Comrade Bizarre promised him he’d be in charge of his zombie army. And he never goes back on his word. Zimmel is a zombie now. But not an ordinary one…