Collapsable weapon 5th ed

Ninja-Bear

I'm probaly overcomplicating this but, If I wanted to build a sword as in the newest Star Trek movie (the one Sulu had), do I have to buy some form of shrinking to represent its collapsed form? Or is it special effect, or bonus to concealmet roll?

Any advice is welcomed and also thanks in advance ! :)

Re: Collapsable weapon 5th ed

The Focus could probably be made Inobvious, or it might have some Extra Time when it is first activated, or something. Maybe that bonus to a Concealment roll (limited) would work. You certainly shouldn't need Shrinking. Simple SFX may be sufficient in many games, but it depends on the GM I suppose.

I think that's pure sfx of the power activation. You can have your OAF sword teleport to your hand from Dimension X when you activate the power, if you want. The FAQ says that donning an OAF that is your costume (like armor) is not Instant Change, but power activation. Same here, it seems to me.

I think someone asked Steve recently about the problem of using this with some foci - that you could keep deactivating the power to avoid losing the focus - and Steve said that was basically up to the GM to check.

I think that's pure sfx of the power activation. You can have your OAF sword teleport to your hand from Dimension X when you activate the power, if you want. The FAQ says that donning an OAF that is your costume (like armor) is not Instant Change, but power activation. Same here, it seems to me.

I think someone asked Steve recently about the problem of using this with some foci - that you could keep deactivating the power to avoid losing the focus - and Steve said that was basically up to the GM to check.

IN MY GAME: It's an OAF, with a cool F/X.

Cool sfx, fershure, but in the right sort of game you might concern yourself over concealability...that's probably the only real effect - no one knows it is there until you push the stud. Concealability is not something we normally pay for. Given that the size of focus is what really matters and, when a power is not in use it is not visible, but when it is, it is, I'd simply say that you get a handle and the activation of the attack is what extends the blade - making the whole thing visible. the focus is the handle, teh actual attack is the blade. Handle always apparent, blade only apparent in use.

Hmm. We don't worry about this with lightsabres, do we...

Well' date=' I think if the nature of the weapon is not apparent when it is not being used, it should be an Inobvious Focus. [i']Any[/i] weapon's nature is evident while it is being used unless maybe it is both Inobvious and has Invisible Power Effects.

Never really understood that logic before, I know that there are pleanty of published examples of it, but by that mindset if you have a magic amulet that shoots glowing beams from it it should be IIF as well

Well' date=' I think if the nature of the weapon is not apparent when it is not being used, it should be an Inobvious Focus. [i']Any[/i] weapon's nature is evident while it is being used unless maybe it is both Inobvious and has Invisible Power Effects.

Yes. A weapon's nature generally is. An amulet that lets you shoot fire from your eyes isn't necessarily though. A weapon that isn't obviously a weapon while it isn't being used is an Obvious focus that has been Concealed.

Setting trumps special effect.

They have tricorders, sword would be recognized instantly. This means the effect is nothing more than a flashy way of drawing your sword, and PROBABLY would not even surprise your opponent. I mean, look at thier weapons.

Now, if you had that sword in a medieval game, THEN they might blink. I advised a presence bonus for intimidation?