Striking Voices

Steve

I am playing around with some concepts using the new rules set.

Beautiful Voice: Striking Appearance +1/1d6 (vs all characters) (3 Active Points), Incantations (Requires Incantations Throughout; -1/2). Real Cost: 2

The character has a melodic voice that others find very beautiful to listen to.

A variation of this could be called something like Terrifying Voice (Batman, Darth Vader, or other scary-voiced individuals).

The Voice: Striking Appearance +2/2d6 (vs all characters), Variable Special Effect (Limited Group of SFX; +1/4) (7 Active Points); Incantations (Requires Incantations Throughout; -1/2). Real Cost: 5

The character knows how to modulate their voice to produce different effects, from charming others into giving up information to scaring others into obeying.

Re: Striking Voices

Striking Voice is really just Striking Appearance (Sound Group)' date=' and should be the same cost.[/quote']

You actually have to speak to make Striking Voice work, though, while you don't need to do anything for the regular version. I would agree with you if it was Striking Odor, for example, though that might have Limited Range.

I view it as about right for another category of Striking Appearance without an (additional) Limitation. "Beautiful," "ugly," and, "voice-based." I can see an effective voice giving you a bonus in both seductive and intimidating situations (really, when is a shrill/grating voice going to impress people?). So requiring it to be actively used and possibly ineffective in noisy surroundings or whatever seems to me to balance its generic applicability.

You actually have to speak to make Striking Voice work' date=' though, while you don't need to do anything for the regular version.[/quote']

It's hard (not impossible, but hard) to use Presence without speaking, and Striking Appearance modifies presence checks. "Only if they can hear me" does not seem more limiting than "Only if they can see me".

It's hard (not impossible' date=' but hard) to use Presence without speaking, and Striking Appearance modifies presence checks. "Only if they can hear me" does not seem more limiting than "Only if they can see me".[/quote']

As always, depends on the game. I'm not inclined to restrict SA to only have an effect with a spoken Presence Attack. If someone else is, then it certainly isn't worth a Limitation.

You actually have to speak to make Striking Voice work' date=' though, while you don't need to do anything for the regular version. I would agree with you if it was Striking Odor, for example, though that might have Limited Range.[/quote']

On the other hand, I can use speech on the telephone, or in the dark (etc). So it works in situations where vision might not, just as good looks works in situations where a striking voice would not (ergo, you can't hear them). For me its a wash. I'd just call it working with a different base sense and call it a day. The advantage of one over the other isn't so great as to require fiddling with it.

Had you considered building a striking voice with ranged martial arts? ;)

Maybe a 2d6 NND vs. Ear Protection.

WHAM!

Now that's what I call a presence attack.

Cute. Reminds me of the old pun-based multipower. Unfortunately, I'm not allowed to rep you right now.