Abilities Discussion

Killer Shrike

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Abilities Discussion

Ranking up energy form boosts duration' date=' so ranking up MD would probably do the same, but going to 15 or 18 seconds probably wouldn't solve the problem.[/quote']

High Intelligence would help by cutting the recharge time down. However, I'm not sure how high you need to go to see significant changes.

That would be Mactyre... but no, it's not her. It's my sister's maiden name initials.

I even sent her a picture of the gun in-game. ;) Haven't tried using it myself, though.

Cool! My gut instinct was that the name wasn't random / meaningless.

The effect is really good if you have a pistols based munitions character, and I'm very happy with it. You might want to try it out on your gunner.

Well...just tried to do the Bullets for Bisselle mission. I blew thru the assassins and snipers by myself no problem, but Viper-X one shotted me right out of the gate. Respawned, ran back in, got one shotted again despite some timely assistance by a passing by hero. Figured twice was enough.

Too bad; John Wrath and Viper-X had "history" together in the Millennial Men campaign so I was looking forward to facing off in the MMO to see how that would go down.

Well...just tried to do the Bullets for Bisselle mission. I blew thru the assassins and snipers by myself no problem, but Viper-X one shotted me right out of the gate. Respawned, ran back in, got one shotted again despite some timely assistance by a passing by hero. Figured twice was enough.

Too bad; John Wrath and Viper-X had "history" together in the Millennial Men campaign so I was looking forward to facing off in the MMO to see how that would go down.

Apparently someone at Cryptic gave Viper-X the wallet.

(Possibly NSFW)

Well...just tried to do the Bullets for Bisselle mission. I blew thru the assassins and snipers by myself no problem' date=' but Viper-X one shotted me right out of the gate.[/quote']

Yeah, Viper-X is the first "block or he'll drop you in one hit" boss you're likely to fight (Grond probably one-shotted you earlier, but there's no real expectation of beating him). He's not really soloable at the normal level for the quest, though my L38 could probably do it without too much trouble.

Block-or-fall will become a familiar pattern at later levels, as you run into the Mega Destroid (open mission) or basically any of the 5-man missions. Teleiosaurus in its current incarnation will probably defeat you through a rank 3 block.

With some good solid playing time this weekend I got John Wrath up to 23. I've picked up Lock and Load and Resurgence. Neither are essential to the character.

Resurgence is a nice extra as it allows me to play a little less conservatively, but I got by fine without it and its not a deal maker or breaker overall.

I use Lock and Load when I remember to, but its really not necessary and makes no noticeable difference. Basically using it, and depending on how well Killer Instinct kicks in for me, I can chain four or five Lead Tempests instead of two to three. However, its rare that two to three doesn't clear a (large) area of all threats so it's largely trivial.

Probably the coolest use I've gotten out of it was in Snake Gulch in the ASCII Oakley box canon (under the spinning circle ride thingy), where I went absolutely ape-poo crazy. Between Killer Instinct, Lock and Load, and endurance drops I managed somehow to chain almost 7 full maintains of Lead Tempest and wreaked an insane amount of havoc. Total geek-asm. Worth a power slot? Eh -- only because there wasn't anything else I wanted or needed. I would trade it for three or four Advantage / Rank points in a heartbeat.

I just revisted our old friend Viper-X and lets just say things went better for me now that I've got 5 levels on him ;)

He didn't go down easy, but he went down all the same.

Between Resurgence and an improved Block (and me being smarter on blocking), it was just a matter of time and grind.

Energy Shield has been a real performer for me. Also, I'm not 100% sure if the experience I'm having w/ Laser Knight is intended or a bug (my ranged attacks turn it on / refresh it too), but it seems to be working very well thus far.

If the power doesn't act in a way that corresponds to the power text' date=' it's a bug somewhere[/quote']

Yes, I realize. I'm actually a software developer by profession.

-- either the power is wrong' date=' or the description is wrong. In this case, it's probably a bug with the power, though it may be an issue with power classification.[/quote']

The underlying issue is I don't know which. I hope its the text that is wrong, of course ;)

The underlying issue is I don't know which. I hope its the text that is wrong' date=' of course ;)[/quote']

No, it's pretty clearly not intended to be all attacks; permanent blocking would be ridiculously OP. Given that I haven't actually heard of this bug before, I suspect it applies when you use an attack classified as 'melee' and someone applied that tag to some powers it didn't really belong on.

No' date=' it's pretty clearly not intended to be all attacks; permanent blocking would be ridiculously OP. Given that I haven't actually heard of this bug before, I suspect it applies when you use an attack classified as 'melee' and someone applied that tag to some powers it didn't really belong on.[/quote']

So far, it works w/ all of my ranged munitions attacks:

The energy builder, TGM, and Lead Tempest

In addition to my melee attack Bullet Ballet (which I expected it to work with).

I picked up the ability specifically to use in conjunction w/ Bullet Ballet vs tough villains as Regeneration isn't at its best vs. one-shot capable major baddies. My thought process was that I wanted to be able to attack, since I solo and pure defense wont get me thru a threat, so Laser Knight + BB seemed like a possible solution to allow me to remain aggressive but not be as squishy. Much to my surprise I noticed that the shield animation and icon appear when I use my ranged powers as well. {shrug} I wont bet the farm on it, but I'll enjoy it while it lasts.

Got Wrath up to 27 running around Mill City downtown.

Picked up Rebirth, more because I didn't want any other power than for any real reason. I very rarely get defeated, but when I do I hate having to respawn and run back in. Rebirth allows me to stand back up and keep fighting. It also provides some buffs but does damage over time to me. In theory, a good ability. In practice I've found one of two things: either the buffs are enough to let me down the foes that defeated me in the first place, or they're just too tough for me and I end up getting defeated a second time. The cool down on Rebirth is somewhere around 10 minutes, so if you standup and go back down again there's no third chance -> its a respawn.

Also picked up Rank 2 on Energy Shield as the really tough baddies are starting to throw around must-block attacks. I'm happy with the performance so far; it adds another 50% of reduction over the base powers block. Also, it seems to make the shield animation larger, with an extra row of hexes (or something), as an FYI.

I got thru all the Mill City missions in my level range except for two in Destroyer's lab that suggest 5 players and are too tough for me to tackle solo (I tried, didn't get very far). I'm running around Canada now doing the mid to high 20 range missions now, planning to get a couple of levels and then double back to get the Destroyer missions once I'm tougher.

I'm trying to figure out the Enhancement crafting, but the items I can make aren't quite as good as the items I'm picking up. Since I usually go up against level+1 or 2 foes I always have a backlog of good upgrades I've been holding on to waiting to level. My crafting is currently somewhere between 260 and 270, and it seems like it needs to be pushing 300 to unlock the items that would be useful to me (ie better than what I have).

I must say that while I don't really enjoy the desert and Canadian storylines that much, I had a lot more fun with the storylines in Mill City itself. However, I always like Teleios so I'm hoping that at least some of the Canadian missions I'm getting into now will lead into that.

By the way, I bumped into Nekrull. Now, I only skimmed CotN as I have no interest in Canada (sorry Lord Liaden, Heirax, et al). I think I even gave my copy away as I had no attachment to it...so anyway how is Nekrull all that different from Takofanes? Anyone?

No offense taken, Shrike.

Necrull while a Canadian Takofanes-esque character is significantly weaker than Takofanes himself:

He's 1,000 points but is 90 MP/VPP vs. 150. 18d6 Lightning; Drain BODY 3d6 return per month; Regen 8d6 needs flesh; VPP assimilates powers of target flesh; 75% DR PDr/EDr; 22 BODY; 41 STUN; only 8nDEF/6rDEF. Mainly would depend on what sort of powers he can assimilate into his VPP.

I don't know how he'd work in the computer game but that's a quick summary of the CotN version.

Hope that helps.

No offense taken, Shrike.

Necrull while a Canadian Takofanes-esque character is significantly weaker than Takofanes himself:

He's 1,000 points but is 90 MP/VPP vs. 150. 18d6 Lightning; Drain BODY 3d6 return per month; Regen 8d6 needs flesh; VPP assimilates powers of target flesh; 75% DR PDr/EDr; 22 BODY; 41 STUN; only 8nDEF/6rDEF. Mainly would depend on what sort of powers he can assimilate into his VPP.

I don't know how he'd work in the computer game but that's a quick summary of the CotN version.

Hope that helps.

Maybe its because I play a lot of Fantasy, but I generally avoid Fantasy elements in my Supers games. Necromancers and such like magical characters just feel to Fantasy for me and I generally give them little to no play. Thus, my knowledge of the various Arcane oriented aspects of the CU is weaker than the rest of the setting, including Takofanes.

So, Nekrull sounds like a second stringer Liche, basically?

Anyway, back on topic I don't know how the CO version will behave in practice but he looked sufficiently scary for me to back off when I saw him. He was level +1, Legendary, and scary looking so I decided to revisit him later when the odds were more in my favor.

On the other hand, I took down Bloodstone (one of the Krim) singlehandely twice with no issues, so maybe I was being unnecessarily yellow...uh, I mean cautious.

;)