A Luck Power

crayadder

Hi all,

I am creating twins who share the power of luck. This luck goes beyond the basic Luck Power. For those of you who watch Supernatural, the episode called Bad Day at Black Rock portrays the kind of luck I want to create. Basically, the twins are able to cause luck to happen when within a certain proximity to each other.

As an example, the twins are riding their horses down a trail and are jumped by a group of bandits. Bandit number one fires a crossbow at one of them. Inexplicably, the horse that the twin he shoots at is riding steps in a depression in the trail causing the twin to lurch out of the path of the bolt. The bolt flies off into the forest.

The twins draw their swords and defend themselves. Two bandits attack one of the twins with their swords simultaneously and accidentally end up entangling their swords in front of the twin as he jerks out of the way. He is then able to deliver quick stabs to the exposed bandits.

The bandit number one drops his crossbow, draws his sword and charges the twin he shot at. They clash blades and begin a slow circle in place while trying to score hits on each other. When the bandit has circled 180 degrees from his original position a bear with a crossbow bolt stuck in its side bursts from the forest and rips him from the saddle. The twins ride off before it can turn its attention to them.

So you get the idea. I was thinking, since the effects of the luck are so varied that it would make sense to build the power using Transform, though the twins can't actually control the specific effect they can only instigate the power. Would Transform be the best choice?

Second question: The twins can't use their power when they not within 100 meters of each other. Would this be handled with a simple ritual disad?

thanks for your input,

Cray

Re: A Luck Power

Does the power have any affect besides in combat?

From the description you gave I'd build it as Combat Skills Levels with a Conditional Power Limitation that the other twin must be within 100 meters. The exact value would depend on how often the twins will be together during the campaign. Say maybe -1/2.

That doesn't exactly explain the bear, but honestly I'd leave that as a nice touch by the GM to fit in with their special effect.

Or, maybe that twin did score a hit on the bandit and used a couple of his special skill levels for damage, the special effect of that being a bear. Bit of a stretch to be sure.

I would stay away from transform. What you are talking about is a pool of powers with a common special effect. I think the USPD has a number of great examples.

Hi all,

As an example, the twins are riding their horses down a trail and are jumped by a group of bandits. Bandit number one fires a crossbow at one of them. Inexplicably, the horse that the twin he shoots at is riding steps in a depression in the trail causing the twin to lurch out of the path of the bolt. The bolt flies off into the forest.

+DCV (variable SFX; Luck SFX); alternatively Combat Luck

The twins draw their swords and defend themselves. Two bandits attack one of the twins with their swords simultaneously and accidentally end up entangling their swords in front of the twin as he jerks out of the way. He is then able to deliver quick stabs to the exposed bandits.

While this looks like the two attackers are being put at a disadvantge (i.e. lower OCV and lower DCV), mechanically if you only want the PC to be able to take advantage of this, it is the same as the PC having a higher DCV and higher OCV.

+DCV (variable SFX; Luck SFX) (to cause the first person to miss) and +OCV (vaiable SFX; Luck) to set the person up for the counter strike

If you want others to be able to take advantage, you might need to resort to some sort of CE or a damage shield for the PC with drain OCV and DCV.

The bandit number one drops his crossbow' date=' draws his sword and charges the twin he shot at. They clash blades and begin a slow circle in place while trying to score hits on each other. When the bandit has circled 180 degrees from his original position a bear with a crossbow bolt stuck in its side bursts from the forest and rips him from the saddle. The twins ride off before it can turn its attention to them.[/quote']

RKA (variable SFX, indirect) if it takes a while, continuous

View this one as an attack by the PC via the form of the bear from the woods. Once the attack happens and is done, the bear loses interest and departs (i.e. no more attacks).

In short, the best way to go on luck is break it down into what is effect of the luck and model that and ignore the vehicle delivering the luck.

The problem with Luck based characters is that, because of the variable SFX and indirects that you put on all the powers, they are very expensive for their DCs.

Thanks for all your extremely quick and helpful responses!

Dan Simon has a luck-based character on Killer Shrike's site that might fit your needs (or give you ideas of your own. The character' date=' and links to the character sheets, are here.

This is perfect Aylwin! Thanks so much for the link.