Ran my first Hero game today

Charakan

Not sure if this is the right section of the board to post in so if I've made a boo boo can an admin move it.

Anyway ran my first game of Hero today using the 5th edition pdfs I've had for a while that I bought off DTRPG and it went really well.

I played a one on one Traveller scenario using the Comstar Traveller Hero PDFs that are sadly no longer available. It was a toss up between Hero or Mongoose Traveller and eventually I settled on Hero because it seemed to offer a more action/adventure type of system that we prefer and I was right.

A mysterious patron (aren't they always?) hired the the PC to penetrate a SuSAG megacorporation research facility on Carse in the Spinward Marches. Everything seemed to be going well they had hacked the facilities computer, downloaded the data and got samples of the illegal psi boosting drug. They had a few firefights with the guards (which were fairly weak but still managed to do some damage by weight of numbers) and were getting out when the final guard got a lucky shot hit the PC in the head, nearly killed him and rendered him seriously unconscious. I'm going to have the SuSAG medics patch him up and have him carted off to a corporate security interrogation facility where he'll have to escape from for the next scenario.

Combat was simple once we got the hang of it and flowed freely. I'd always been a bit intimidated by Hero as people always said it was crunchy. In my experience the crunch was minimal and easy to figure out.

I'd been looking to use the same system for different genres of gaming and it looks like Hero will be my choice from now on.

Re: Ran my first Hero game today

Excellent, Charakan. Glad you enjoyed it: you can do a great deal with Hero not just in character creation (which is second to none) but with the rules themselves, which are simple but robust and flexible enough to cover a huge range of dramatic situations.

Any questions about the system, builds or advice and there are many here who will happily chip in their two pennyworth :)

Re: Ran my first Hero game today

Thanks for the warm welcome, I've been a lurker for a while and think I made a couple of posts in the Star Hero section regarding Traveller.

I've noticed the community seems really friendly and eager to help, so if I have any questions I'll shout up.

It was the first time I've attempted to run a game using e-books and found it really easy to look up a rule or jump to a table I needed. Of course dead tree format has it positives as well, its nice to sit and relax with a book.