Martial Artists STR

Ninja-Bear

Okay he is the deal, I've always hought that martial artists str score have been too high-mainly because of the lifting capacity. I am planning a video style ma campaign-because it is similar to a regular champions campaign. The one thing in my mind that stills causes me headaches though is why would a normal, i.e. Seeker or Crusader have a high str score ? (Note their scores are 25 and 20 respectively). Also I'm not looking at reducing their scores. For years I have been trying to do that, and well the hassle is not worth the reward. So how about it, what sfx should I give guys like this ?

Re: Martial Artists STR

Bruce Lee and Jet Li have been described as exceedingly strong. Bruce Lee was often said to be one the strongest people, for his size and weight, people had ever met. In any martial arts sub-genre higher then Cinematic, the strength of characters can be extraordinary. Wuxia martial artists toss around trees, shatter boulders, and punch through walls. Video game fighters are often huge in size and weight with strength to match. Many Anime-level martial artists have superhero level strength, with some able to lift 30-40 tons at least. Also, many mythical wuxia characters are said to lift and use weapons weighing 200-1,000 pounds (or more.)

If you're going to run a video fighting game campaign, just roll with it. In my opinion, such characters are often just one step below super heroes (of that) and are normally far more stronger than the average human or real world martial artist.

Thanks for the replies. I did notice something on wikipedia on the Marvel Universe: Unversal Pscionic Energy. THat is something that I'm leaning towards. That in a minor way super martia artists manipulate chi as a cross between a mentalist and an energy projector.

And as I said, I wish I could just ignore it, but everytime I see the maximum str level I cringe. I just seem to want to make them "real" for some reason. Must be a psy lim. Oh wait, not the right term, now. :eek:

Thanks for the replies. I did notice something on wikipedia on the Marvel Universe: Unversal Pscionic Energy. THat is something that I'm leaning towards. That in a minor way super martia artists manipulate chi as a cross between a mentalist and an energy projector.

And as I said, I wish I could just ignore it, but everytime I see the maximum str level I cringe. I just seem to want to make them "real" for some reason. Must be a psy lim. Oh wait, not the right term, now. :eek:

Most wuxia/video game/anime martial arts get their powers from the manipulation of chi/ch'i/ki energy. This allows them to lift great weights, leap greats distances, fly, project energy blasts, and so on. So a 'proper' wuxia martial artist is often a combination of HTH combat prowess, energy projector, and mini-brick.

As for "maximum STR level"... I'm not sure where you're seeing that. Is that in a 6E book? Elsewhere? In mean, in Ninja Hero I know I talk about this and basically say that once you get to Wuxia-Level Martial Arts, go with whatever you want.

I am planning a video style ma campaign-because it is similar to a regular champions campaign. The one thing in my mind that stills causes me headaches though is why would a normal' date=' i.e. Seeker or Crusader have a high str score ? (Note their scores are 25 and 20 respectively).[/quote']

Which style of video game are you basing this on?

Because while none of the main characters in Virtua Fighter probably has a STR over 25, there are several Characters from Street Fighter or Tekken that definitely do.

T.Hawk, for example, can pick a 300+lb man up by the face and swing him around like a rag doll. And he can leap over 15' in the air while doing it.

Definitely not "normal" levels of STR there...

That's a good point. Virtua Fighter and Dead or Alive presume more "human" levels of strength. Guilty Gear, Blaze Blue, Street Fighter II, KOF, et al, all of them feature characters who are certainly far stronger than a "mere" 20 or so.