Best of the Best

freshrod

Greetings

I was wanting to start a discussion about powers and their pro vs con's. I thought that we could do this as a kind of list... your list of the best of the best powers from your experiences.

So, lets start like this:

1. Energy Builder

a. Melee

b. Ranged

2. Damage Dealer

a. Melee

b. Ranged

3. Passive

4. Block

5. AOE

a. Melee

b. Ranged

6. Hold

Of course this is all due to builds, playstyle, and Super Stats. But it is also clear that not all CO powers are created equal. So let's hear your thoughts.

Re: Best of the Best

For my primary character (Shootist), I have three powers that really change the course of a combat. The first one is Orbital Cannon. It wipes out henchmen with the initial blast, and can even take down villains with the Anvil of Dawn enhancement.

The other two powers are Lead Tempest and Sonic Device (the latter with the Deafening Dissolution advantage). I can activate Sonic Device, get close to a packed spawn of henchmen, and decimate them with a single maintain of Lead Tempest.

Given the timers (30 seconds) on Orbital Cannon and Sonic Device, I usually alternate between these two methods, using my energy builder in the middle to regain energy for the next attack. If my energy is high and I'm waiting on a timer, I use Two-Gun Mojo to whittle down tougher targets (and activate the Enrage buff via a full maintain).

I used to use Sonic Arrow (with Deadly Dissonance), but after getting the powers listed above I very rarely (if ever) use it.

If you're going to insist on a list format, I nominate Orbital Cannon for best ranged AoE (and a contender for best single-target ranged attack), while Sonic Device is the best self-buff. Force Shield (with Force Sheath advantage) wins the best Block power easily - the lingering effect pushes it over the time.

If you're going to insist on a list format' date='... [/quote']

Yes! I insist. Delete your post at ONCE!!!

Ok, ok... I kid. I really just wanted to get feedback. I think it's impossible (at least it is for me) for everyone to try every powerset, let alone waste time with worthless powers.

Of course, like you pointed out, a lot has to do with what your rank and advantages are. I really like Gigabolt and the advantage that makes the henchies explode is very nice!

I just thought we could try and talk about what works and what doesn't. There is probably a better format, but I came up with this on the fly.

I'm currently trying to level my munitions guy, so I liked your input. But I think Orbital Cannon is Gadgets, so it will have to wait for a while. I do agree with the Force Shield. I use that with my Electric Girl, Electricia. Thanks.

Force Shield+Sheath is nice if you need energy. If what you're looking for is mitigation, however, the linger effects on both Energy Shield+Laser Knight and Ebon Void+Voracious Darkness are superior.

As far as best ranged AoE goes, I'm going to have to disagree with Orbital Cannon. Sure it's nice as far as it goes, but if you don't have INT superstatted it's really not all that. I'd suggest Conflagration is superior; it will wipe out whole packs of henchmen and seriously maul villains on a full maintain, but you don't have to wait 30s to do it again, and against tougher targets you can tap an advantaged fireball first to debuff enemy fire resist first for even more damage. Yes it costs a lot of energy, but there are a lot more ways around that than there are around Orbital Cannon's recharge time. With a decent build, you can do a full maintain of Conflag three times as often as an INT-superstatted Orbital Cannon, and four times as often as a non-INT-superstatted Orbital Cannon. With a really optimized build, you can run it even more than that.

Sonic Device as the best self-buff? Uh, no. Not even close. Circle of Primal Dominion has that distinction hands down. No other skill in the game will let one character essentially get the full benefit of 2 defensive passives at the same time.

Most effective power I have seen used is if you have a high recovery/endurance character, Psychic Storm (iirc the name). It is a maintained PBAOE with a hold for the duration and no maximum number of characters (apparently). One of my friends I run around with uses it and will jump into a group of 5+ hench/villain level mobs and throw that up.

That's Ego Storm, it has a maximum of 5 targets per pulse. Like all maintained attacks, if there are more than 5 targets and one target dies partway through the maintain, the AoE will retarget whatever's in its area to keep hitting 5 live enemies rather than continuing to kill the dead one; this is part of what makes high DPS maintained AoEs and summoned damage effects so quick to bring down packs of enemies, as compared to charged attacks which generally waste the extra damage.

Ego Storm a very effective PBAoE, but you do have to be mobile and get close to use it. It can put out some pretty impressive damage numbers to go with the hold too, especially if stacking some +Ego damage buffs such as TK Eruption and Shadow Form.

That's Ego Storm, it has a maximum of 5 targets per pulse. Like all maintained attacks, if there are more than 5 targets and one target dies partway through the maintain, the AoE will retarget whatever's in its area to keep hitting 5 live enemies rather than continuing to kill the dead one; this is part of what makes high DPS maintained AoEs and summoned damage effects so quick to bring down packs of enemies, as compared to charged attacks which generally waste the extra damage.

Ego Storm a very effective PBAoE, but you do have to be mobile and get close to use it. It can put out some pretty impressive damage numbers to go with the hold too, especially if stacking some +Ego damage buffs such as TK Eruption and Shadow Form.

My friend who has it is a T-Porter, so he can get into a group and start it before they ever have a chance to notice him there.

I love Energy Shield with Laser Knight. All of my melee toons take it. Any time I make a melee attack, it pops up and mitigates damage nicely. Extra staying power.

Resurgence is also godly. The more CON you have, the more it heals for, and it breaks holds.

Havok Stomp is underrated. Fully charge and it throws foes away while giving you enrage.

Shockwave has become my favorite power. Once I rank it to two (instead of Uppercut), it should resume killing equal level henchmen, and it even knocks villains off their feat. And cancels travel powers. :)