Quantum of Time

Sean Waters

Re: Quantum of Time

And mental actions should go in order of MOCV. hmmm...if all actions went in order of MOCV, that would ditch the push to sell it back.

I don't see why accuracy should have anything to do with reaction speed. A very methodical shooter is probably quite accurate, but not fast.

I also think too much value is placed on going first. We have three characteristics, INT, PRE and DEX, which govern skill success. Each has an ancillary effect (PER rolls, PRE attacks and defenses, and combat order during a phase/segment). If those ancillary effects are not more or less equal in value, I don't think "going first" is worth more than twice the value of the others. However, the costing says it is.

I also don't believe a bonus to DEX skills is worth any more than a bonus to INT or PRE skills. Given that, I think all three should have been priced the same (either 1 point each or two points each), with "only for skill rolls" or "only for ancillary effect" priced as a -1 limitation, and a further limitation afforded for "only one skill roll per phase". I'd probably reprice as follows:

- leave DEX at 2 points

- bump INT and PRE to 2 points as well

- +1 to all skill rolls based on the characteristic - 5 points (-1 limitation)

- +1 to one skill roll per phase based on the char - 3 points (about another -1 limitation; -1/2 woud give 4 points per +1)

- +1 PER roll; +5 Combat Order; +1d6 PRE attack each 5 points

- make PRE defense the exclusive province of Ego.

- EGO for PRE defense only or for EGO rolls only would both be -1 limitations.

- we might need to bump starting points a bit more to compensate for the increased cost, but starting points are easy to adjust if it is an issue.

Sorry to switch tracks, if not derail, your thread, Sean.

You can not attack and then move.

Why?

Don't know but I can say the games I've played the most were always a move then shoot method.

• Battletech
  • Warhammer 40K
  • Champions

I don't think Star Wars (weg) was forced to this. Their mechanic was the more actions (upto 4) the more penalties you took. And last night I got to play an introductory skirmish for DnD 4th which has no restriction on when you move and attack.

The point, I agree Sean that perhaps the move and attack method is more of a simplicty then as to "balance". This also reminds me of the thread many moons ago where the op posted why should we have a static defense and not roll for it like damage. Do you have Ninja Hero 4th where they have optional rules where you could buy a attack manuever with abort ?! :eek: Interestingly the disclaimer was that if you found that this messed up with the combat sheet then it should be discarded !

If I ever get to play more of the DnD 4th I could get a better feel of their actions. (Which actually seem simular to Hero system actions. Well mosreso than DnD 2nd !)

Well here are my thoughts on the subject.

This reminds me that in another thread recently, when you were saying how that Hero is actually quite simple and accessible, I forgot to say, "Are you crazy?" :)

Your proposal doesn't strike me as any more complicated than the existing system, though.

Yes, it is true....I am crazy :)

Funny thing but timing in combat is always an issue, in almost every game - look at DnD and their 'attacks of opportunity' - interesting mechanic, but in desperate need of simplification and clarity.

I also think too much value is placed on going first.

You have not been the first I've seen to post this on the boards. But I have to say in my experience, and because of the type of character I normally run, I find going first is essential. The ability to hold 1/2 phase and to dodge (which I use to always do-hey I'm a ninja!) is well worth the cost at 3 points per 1 Dex. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that you are wrong. I'm just saying that I always sratch my head when this comment comes up. And fwiw, this could be a throw back to my battletech days when at one time you only rolled inititive once and was stuck at that the whole game (and at 10 players you waited forever). Plus the fact the combat wasn't considered simultanous at the time. If you blew up before you could retaliate was very benificial to me. :D

Okay that is now out of my system.

The ability to hold 1/2 phase and to dodge (which I use to always do-hey I'm a ninja!) is well worth the cost at 3 points per 1 Dex.

As opposed to just aborting to Dodge? You meant that the ability to half move and then abort to the Dodge later is worth a lot? (I don't mean that sceptically; I'm just trying to understand.)

As opposed to just aborting to Dodge? You meant that the ability to half move and then abort to the Dodge later is worth a lot? (I don't mean that sceptically; I'm just trying to understand.)

Yes. Remeber just aborting to a dodge is reactionary. If I go first I can move-hold 1/2 phase and wait to see what the target is doing. :sneaky: I can dodge if needed, or attack, or disarm, or ...you get the point. I really like it. Even if I have to dodge, I feel its because I'm in control (I choose to dodge) vs reaction (I *shoot* I got to dodge.) Maybe its cosmetic, but I'm willing to play the price. :D

One thing I have thought about a lot recently is killing "an Attack action ends your Phase" esp having played 4e D&D which allows attacks after movement. I just keep wondering why (beyond tradition) that we continue to do it this way in Hero.

The only thing that I can figure is that George McDonald wanted to prevent people from moving up hitting then moving out of range during their phase. Something that is quite possible in Superheroic games (which is where the system's roots are). Though one can point out that Move Bys and Move Throughs already allow this. I eventually want to run a game that allows attack and move, but haven't had time as we are currently playtesting 6e and I don't want to pollute the experience with any house rules.

I DO like the Speed Chart. It make sense to me and it seems to simulate ultra fast martial artists and speedsters very well. So I would be resistant to any change that would remove that from play.