4 Rules questions 6E.

hammersickle59

Can you abort to dive for cover if your already lying prone on the ground from the previous dive for cover? Essentially, can you abort to take 2 actions (I get up, and then dive for cover)? My guess is no.

When an attack is an AOE 1 hex attack, I tend to think it is something that hits the ground next to the opponent, and then explodes in that hex. I had a conceptual problem with an attack recently. Dr. Destroyers Destroids have a 1 hex laser attack. They fired at a hero that was in the air. How can the laser "explode" in that hex? What does it hit in order to explode? If the laser is "as big as a hex" then it should be bought as a line or cone attack. This is kind of a weird question, just wanted peoples opinion on this.

Here's a big one. Do characters know that they're being targeted by an AOE attack? If not, how would they ever know to dive for cover? Of course history or some special effects might give it away, but for the most case not really. If a villain throws a grenade, everyone knows to dive for cover, but the grenade didn't get a lim that says its obvious its an AOE. Comparatively, when I villain just aims his arm at someone they dont know that its an AOE, but the villain didn't have to pay for that.

Last question. I don't like that Damage Negation works against NND attacks. What is the justification for that? If some has Damage Negation, enchanted suit of armor (just like the example in the book), then how come he's immune to NND's who's defense if not needing to breathe or immune to poisions etc.....it just doesn't make sense to me. I'm not sure Damage Negation has a place at all.

Dean

Re: 4 Rules questions 6E.

1) No, unless the GM allows otherwise.

2) Who said it had to "hit" something "solid" to explode... grenades certainly don't. Any number of real life things could explode in mid air. Perhaps the lasers are set to detonate a burst at a targeted distance. Perhaps it's not a detonation but an extremely accurate targeting system, or maybe fills the hex with lots of ammo.. the Destroids SFX is listed as an "Electrical Beam" - perhaps the electric charge his the targeted zone and then spreads it's electric burst over an area.

3) SFX Interaction - sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. Not everything requires quantification and it's a mistake to think it does.

4) Damage Reduction works against NND attacks as well. To me, Damage Negation works better as Vs Special Effect than Vs Physical/Energy. As for why an enchanted suit of armor might protect against an NND... it's enchanted, magic works funny I suppose. If magic doesn't work that way in your game, well, don't allow Damage Negation like that.

1) Actually, I think the answer is yes. As long as it is your Phase once more, and thus your previous abort is over.... one of the suggested Special Effects for a Dive for Cover is rolling. I'd allow you to do it, and I would even only impose penalties if your DfC required you getting up (I need to dive across the ledge, not roll on the ground to avoid a blow), and I'd wave that if you passed a Breakfall roll.

1) Note that you can perform a Dive For Cover with other forms of movement as well, not all of which necessarily causes you to end up prone, just at reduced DCV afterwards. In any case, you cannot Abort to a new Dive For Cover until you reach the segment after the Phase you just Aborted and become able to Abort again.

Can you abort to dive for cover if your already lying prone on the ground from the previous dive for cover? Essentially, can you abort to take 2 actions (I get up, and then dive for cover)? My guess is no.

When an attack is an AOE 1 hex attack, I tend to think it is something that hits the ground next to the opponent, and then explodes in that hex. I had a conceptual problem with an attack recently. Dr. Destroyers Destroids have a 1 hex laser attack. They fired at a hero that was in the air. How can the laser "explode" in that hex? What does it hit in order to explode? If the laser is "as big as a hex" then it should be bought as a line or cone attack. This is kind of a weird question, just wanted peoples opinion on this.

the laser has a limited area of focus a 2m sphere

Here's a big one. Do characters know that they're being targeted by an AOE attack? If not, how would they ever know to dive for cover? Of course history or some special effects might give it away, but for the most case not really. If a villain throws a grenade, everyone knows to dive for cover, but the grenade didn't get a lim that says its obvious its an AOE. Comparatively, when I villain just aims his arm at someone they dont know that its an AOE, but the villain didn't have to pay for that.

I'd say no unless they knew the weapon(weapon fam)or attack( KS super beings)

Last question. I don't like that Damage Negation works against NND attacks. What is the justification for that? If some has Damage Negation, enchanted suit of armor (just like the example in the book), then how come he's immune to NND's who's defense if not needing to breathe or immune to poisions etc.....it just doesn't make sense to me. I'm not sure Damage Negation has a place at all.

Dean

I think damage negation is over priced (5pts to cancel an average of 3.5 pts of damage vs pd or ed does it for 3.5 pts and 15pts to cancel 3.5 pts of killing damage when 5pts will do)

maybe that is why it works

you could ask Steve but he does not discuss his design style

I believe the benefits of Dive For Cover apply until the next segment you're capable of acting so there is no need to dive a second time before then.

Opponent A lobs a grenade at you. You Dive For Cover. Opponent B fires his AOE laser at you. Since you already dove you are currently a moving target and your previous Dive For Cover roll applies to Opponent B's attack.

1) Note that you can perform a Dive For Cover with other forms of movement as well' date=' not all of which necessarily causes you to end up prone, just at reduced DCV afterwards. In any case, you cannot Abort to a new Dive For Cover until you reach the segment after the Phase you just Aborted and become able to Abort again.[/quote']

Exactly.

I believe the benefits of Dive For Cover apply until the next segment you're capable of acting so there is no need to dive a second time before then.

Opponent A lobs a grenade at you. You Dive For Cover. Opponent B fires his AOE laser at you. Since you already dove you are currently a moving target and your previous Dive For Cover roll applies to Opponent B's attack.

Dive for Cover is a defensive movement maneuver. It's only benefit is to move you from point X to point Y. One of the things not clearly stated in the text is that if you Dive for Cover, and chose a target point that is still within the Area affected by an AoE, it still hits you, even if your roll succeeded.

In your example above: Opponent A lobs his grenade. You abort and Dive for Cover. You are now Prone (or disoriented) at the spot you Dove to. Opponent B fires his AoE laser. Unless he is firing so close to the same instant that the grenade was thrown that the GM rules otherwise, it targets your current position, not the point you dove from.

An somewhat amusing complication from this is that should your GM be using Scatter rules (A grenade has to go off somewhere, unless it's a dud), should your opponent miss his target point, you could theoretically still be hit if the 'miss' landed in or near the place you dove to.