Cannot Combine Duplication

Starlight

So I'm reading through the 6th pdf and get to Duplication. There's this, unchanged from 5th edition as I recall

This Limitation represents a form of Duplication that doesn’t allow the Duplicates to recombine. Typically this is a -0 Limitation, since the benefits and drawbacks to this situation balance out, but the GM may alter the value as he sees fit.

As I'm skimming past it suddenly occurs to me... what benefits? And you know, I can't think of any benefits for not being able to recombine. The limitation does not confer Innate, so a Drain or Suppress can still force recombination. Without this limitation the duplicates can recombine, but do not have to.

I'm playing a 5th edition character with duplication (that's why I was reading up on 6th edition duplication) where the duplicates don't know they can recombine. They duplicated at birth and have been bought up believing they are twins. There's been occasions during the years of play this character as seen when recombining, if only they knew it was possible, would have been very useful. But the converse isn't true because recombining is a voluntary action and the character doesn't have to do it. So there's no benefit to not recombining that a character without the limitation can't get by simply deciding not to recombine.

I throw this open to the floor. What benefits are there? What am I missing?

Re: Cannot Combine Duplication

I don't think you are missing anything, I think it's just a matter of interpretation. Not the benefits and limitations of 'not being able to recombine' but the benefit of Duplication, with the drawback of 'not being able to recombine'.

The overall 'benefit' is the duplicate itself. Regardless of whether they are extensions of the same character, or individuals who believe themselves twins, you essentially have twice the 'manpower' available, with twice the actions (both in combat and out). This is balanced by the rarer occasions when you have limited resources (say food, water, air), and recombining would allow you to halve your consumption. In this interpretation, the benefits actually far outweigh the drawbacks, in my opinion. YMMV.

There's no doubt about the benefits of Duplication. But that's not the issue I raised in my original comment.

The Cannot Recombine limitation for Duplication states that it's a -0 value because the benefits of not being able to recombine and the drawbacks of not being able to recombine cancel out.

Now I could agree with a ruling that the drawbacks of not being able to recombine aren't significant enough to be worth anything more than a -0.

But the book text specifically mentions benefits of not being able to recombine and I can't actually think of a single benefit. So what are they? :)

This isn't new. The same structure existed in 5e and was used for things like a Hydra.

Normally, it takes 1/2 phase to duplicate. If you can never recombine, you never have toi spend that half phase. Nor does the duplicate need to spend the rest of the segment reorienting itself.

This is really "Duplication - Always on" and reduces the usual point savings from Always On, acknolwedging that there are very limited drawbacks to being unable to recombine.

There's no doubt about the benefits of Duplication. But that's not the issue I raised in my original comment.

The Cannot Recombine limitation for Duplication states that it's a -0 value because the benefits of not being able to recombine and the drawbacks of not being able to recombine cancel out.

Now I could agree with a ruling that the drawbacks of not being able to recombine aren't significant enough to be worth anything more than a -0.

But the book text specifically mentions benefits of not being able to recombine and I can't actually think of a single benefit. So what are they? :)

You've answered your own question:

The benefits of not being able to recombine = none

The drawbacks of being not being able to recombine = insignificant

Thus they are close enough to 'zero' to balance out.

Perhaps it is a poor choice of phrasing in the text, implying that benefits exist instead of just saying the drawbacks aren't worth anything, but the end result is the same.

It seems to me that being unable to recombine would override such things as the Duplication power being Drained or Dispelled.

Also, it would definitely prevent someone from being compelled to recombine by Mind Control, or otherwise coerced into doing so, thus losing the extra manpower.

It seems to me that being unable to recombine would override such things as the Duplication power being Drained or Dispelled.

Also, it would definitely prevent someone from being compelled to recombine by Mind Control, or otherwise coerced into doing so, thus losing the extra manpower.

The limitation specifically excludes giving Innate, so it can be Drained or Dispelled.

However the Mind Control point is valid. Congratulations. You win the prize. That's an actual genuine benefit. Repped.