Free Character Defining Skills

Utech

Re: Free Character Defining Skills

Tthe CoC approach is very cute and humorous. It's a sort of wry way of mentioning behaviors by stating that the character is' date=' "very good at," acting a certain way, implying they do it a LOT. (Conversely, I suppose you could put some down with really low chances, implying the character is very deficient in a certain area. Like, "Following Orders: 7%"). But there are other ways to state those things without confusing people about the skill system.[/quote']

This is exactly what I was getting at and what this thread was intended to address. I don't know how this could possibly confuse people about the skill system, though.

At any rate, thanks to those who have actually listed some skills that are to the point. The Tank Girl list is fun. I wonder if there might be more examples of HERO-appropriate skills that follow the CoC pattern.

This is exactly what I was getting at and what this thread was intended to address. I don't know how this could possibly confuse people about the skill system, though.

At any rate, thanks to those who have actually listed some skills that are to the point. The Tank Girl list is fun. I wonder if there might be more examples of HERO-appropriate skills that follow the CoC pattern.

I also like the sub-headers that come with each character.

I've been known to use "Detect Bad Idea". It's never been completely clear, though, whether a success means that I have successfully had a bad idea (and will then act on it) or successfully identified what I am thinking as a bad idea (and will then choose not to act on it).

sorry

Defense Maneuvers 3 5th edition

Eliminates multiple attacker bonus, even those which the character cannot perceive +3 points

(This does not allow the character to perceive the attackers;

instead, it simply means that the way the character moves in combat,

no one can get a clear shot at his(its) back regardless of whether the character knows they're there)

Defense Maneuver 4 5th edition

Acts as a sense

ie. the charcter need not spend a Half Phase to use his (its) Defense Maneuver. (using it takes no time)

any Combat Skill Levels which improve the character's DCV are considered Persistent for that purpose

+3 points

Persistent suggests the DCV combat levels apply in non-combat

which means character must not allow a clear shot at its back when having a cup of Tea.

This is just the sort a thing a paranoid Cthulhu character might do.

From the OP:

Aside from HERO' date=' I am a big Call of Cthulhu fan. One of the things CoC does very well is to[b'] include apparently silly skills[/b] in the quick write-ups for NPCs. These skills seem silly because they do not seem to have any utility in the game. Often I find myself scanning through the NPC numbers and stumble upon such a skill. Over the years I've become convinced that they serve a very important purpose: they act as shorthand for understanding the character and how it is to be used.

I'd like to see this used in HERO as well. Players can be encouraged to add one or more skills to their character purely for the purpose of understanding that character. The skills cost no points and will almost certainly have no in-game utility.

I don't see how any of the Defense Maneuvers could be considered "apparently silly" with no utility other than helping define the character, nor can I see someone trying to get them for free under that premise...