Placed shots effective?

RockSunner

Re: Placed shots effective?

I understand why the hands and arms are likely to be hit' date=' but it still seems odd when using ranged attacks. Is there an alternate method so you don't get odd results like shooting off someone's thumb when attempting a head shot with your sniper rifle?[/quote']

Location's OCV penalties are halved when Non-Combat surprise is achieved. So that -8 head shot becomes only -4...

Realize that you can hit the head all you want... as long as you don't get the benefits of a Called Headshot. So I can punch the sadistic stormtrooper in the jaw simply by saying "I punch him in the jaw!" As long as I don't demand x2 BODY and x2 STUN' date=' I'm fine. And in some games, that -8 OCV isn't that big of a deal.[/quote']

QFT! In the Stargate SG1 game that I played in, my Sniper/Marksman character had enough levels to headshot OCV5 on a 10 or less. Of course her DCV would have been hosed (because to get that OCV she would have had to use her Rifle's scope). Out of combat she was known for Headshotting Go'auld from 500+ Meters or so. That was a real fun game :D

QFT! In the Stargate SG1 game that I played in' date=' my Sniper/Marksman character had enough levels to headshot OCV5 on a 10 or less. Of course her DCV would have been hosed (because to get that OCV she would have had to use her Rifle's scope). Out of combat she was known for Headshotting Go'auld from 500+ Meters or so. That was a real fun game :D[/quote']

I had a sniper character who's rifle was accurate out to 1 mile. He also suffered no Range Penalties out to 1 mile. The only sad part was that I never once got an opportunity to snipe. However, I did have enough PSLs to offset the headshot penalties, so I did (on occasion) make a few head shots.

It WAS kind of fun.

Yeah, the only thing I could add is placed shots are real nice when you want to avoid a fatality....like you need answers, or Mind controll, stuf like that.

I used to use a crazy effective build of +8 w/attack (HtH, or Ranged say) Only vs Hit locations -1....Spooky, and only around 20 points....

In 6Th it looks like you can use PSL's so at 8 PSL's with "any" you spend 24 points, 16 for a smaller group, and 8 pts for a very limited (to me thats so cheap(at 8 pts) as to be broken though...)

It looks like PSL's still have limits on what things they can effect' date=' so you still might want to buy Combat levels and limit them, intead of using PSL's. It's a little more expensive, but it's still likely to be a good buy...[/quote']

I thought PSLs for Hit Locations was one of their bona fide uses.

It looks like PSL's still have limits on what things they can effect' date=' so you still might want to buy Combat levels and limit them, intead of using PSL's. It's a little more expensive, but it's still likely to be a good buy...[/quote']

PSL's in 6e Specifially mention being able to used with Hit Location Penalties.(6e1 pg 84) "*Targeting Skill Levels, Which offset the penalty for targeting any and all Hit Locations"

Tasha

Halved modifiers when surprised (6e2 pg 109) "Placed Shots and Surprise- Whenever a target is Surprised out of Combat (see Combat Modifiers), halve the Placed Shot modifiers. For instance, shooting at the head becomes a -4 OCV shot instead of a -8 OCV shot. The same applies to Stunned Characters, and in some other situations (see the DCV Modifiers Table on 6e2 pg 37)

-8 to hit the head is too hard to hit (unless the character buys penalty skill levels)

the head shot which also may hit the shoulder isn't a bad idea but still not worth the loss in chance to hit at all

Players try aimed shots once or twice and then never again

the OCV penalties are too great

maybe reduce all aimed shot penalties by 2

I character could take a high shot, body shot and low shot with out penalty

That's funny - my players do it regularly.

There are times when it's a good idea and times when it's not. But it's a really, really useful tool.

cheers, Mark

I thought PSLs for Hit Locations was one of their bona fide uses.

This what I was responding to I forgot to "quote"

I like to use "penalty" levels on Any penalty so I'd personally consider limited combat levels a "good buy" when I might spend 24 pts for some that don't always add....

This what I was responding to I forgot to "quote"

I like to use "penalty" levels on Any penalty so I'd personally consider limited combat levels a "good buy" when I might spend 24 pts for some that don't always add....

Yes, for a long time I was mis-using PSLs. They are actually only useful for a small list of things. Things like the negative modifiers (notice I didn't say penalty) for MoveThrough are not "penalties," so can't be bought off with PSLs. At first I thoiught it was just semantics, but PSLs are pretty darned cheap. They are very handy for Range Penalties though and that's usually where I use them.

can penalty skill levels be used against shrinking?

That's funny - my players do it regularly.

There are times when it's a good idea and times when it's not. But it's a really, really useful tool.

cheers, Mark

I guess that would have to do with the combat value range I see

OCV/DCV varies from 7 to 10

can penalty skill levels be used against shrinking?

I guess that would have to do with the combat value range I see

OCV/DCV varies from 7 to 10

Don't know...off the cuff, I'd say no you'd need Combat levels to hit...but the argument that Shrinking DCV is just like Range is a good one....I don't Think the rule adresses that . It just says you can use these for This use...yadda yadda....