08. How To Do – Multi-Telekinesis

MistWing

Way back when, I build a 30 Str Telekinesis power and gave it the Uncontrolled advantage. I defined it (and the GM agreed) as a ‘multi-Telekinesis’. The idea behind it was that I could use a part of it to do a task and then, without releasing the first part, use a second part to do a second task. Kind of like walking, reading and drinking a Pepsi at the same time (which I do on a regular basis). You ‘set’ your walking on ‘autopilot’. As long as nothing unusual happens, you don’t need to pay any attention to it. This frees you to read while you’re walking. When you want to take a drink, you interrupt you reading for a second or two and the resume your reading. In this way, I can do three different thing at effectively the same time.

A similar thing would be allowed with my TK. I would consciously do one thing. Then I would either just hold the first thing, or do a simple task with it, while I started a second task. The limiting factor was the strength of my TK. I couldn’t exceed 30 Str, either individually or collectively.

My question is: What would be the proper way to do this?

Thanks

MistWing SilverTail

With any Constant Power like Telekinesis, you can apply it multiple times in succession, activating it each time on successive action Phases, as long as you pay the Endurance cost for each use of the Power. If the task you've set each TK for doesn't change or otherwise require monitoring, you can keep all of them going as long as your END holds out.

Originally posted by Lord Liaden

With any Constant Power like Telekinesis, you can apply it multiple times in succession, activating it each time on successive action Phases, as long as you pay the Endurance cost for each use of the Power. If the task you've set each TK for doesn't change or otherwise require monitoring, you can keep all of them going as long as your END holds out.

Hmm. :confused: So outside of combat, you essentially have an infinite Str TK? Consider this: I need to lift a building. So I just apply my TK. Then I apply my TK again, and again, and again. Let's just say I bought it to 0 End, since I only have to buy, say, 15 Str in order to lift that building, or pull the moon out of orbit, or grab 1000 people, or....

Originally posted by prestidigitator

Hmm. :confused: So outside of combat, you essentially have an infinite Str TK? Consider this: I need to lift a building. So I just apply my TK. Then I apply my TK again, and again, and again. Let's just say I bought it to 0 End, since I only have to buy, say, 15 Str in order to lift that building, or pull the moon out of orbit, or grab 1000 people, or....

You are still limited by the Strength of the TK, obviously.

It is an interesting conundrum, presti. I do recall when I asked Steve Long about how much total mass an Area of Effect Telekinesis could lift, he said that it would still be no more than the Strength of the TK could lift no matter how much area it covered. I imagine the same reasoning would apply here.

It probably wouldn't be logical or game-balanced in all situations, but this would be when Steve would break out his "common sense/dramatic sense" mantra. ;)

Originally posted by Killer Shrike

You are still limited by the Strength of the TK, obviously.

I don't know that it is really all that obvious. It seems that multiple, simultaneous, uses of TK would be just like that number of separate characters lifting something. If two people, each of whom can lift 100kg at the Earth's surface, lift the same character, they could lift a 200kg body.

Originally posted by Lord Liaden

It is an interesting conundrum, presti. I do recall when I asked Steve Long about how much total mass an Area of Effect Telekinesis could lift, he said that it would still be no more than the Strength of the TK could lift no matter how much area it covered. I imagine the same reasoning would apply here.

I don't think I would have the same problem thinking about Area of Effect. After all, an Area of Effect attack affects each target the same, no matter how many hexes big each target is; the target only has to overlap the area. An Area of Effect TK could probably lift any and all targets within the area, each of which can only be affected by the Str of the TK. I guess you could think of the multiple uses of one TK the same way, although it seems a little bit artificial to say two completely independant uses of it cannot affect the same object. Would that mean that two different characters who have TK cannot put their TKs together to cooperate in lifting an object?

Originally posted by prestidigitator

I don't think I would have the same problem thinking about Area of Effect. After all, an Area of Effect attack affects each target the same, no matter how many hexes big each target is; the target only has to overlap the area. An Area of Effect TK could probably lift any and all targets within the area, each of which can only be affected by the Str of the TK. I guess you could think of the multiple uses of one TK the same way, although it seems a little bit artificial to say two completely independant uses of it cannot affect the same object. Would that mean that two different characters who have TK cannot put their TKs together to cooperate in lifting an object?

Yep, it's artificial, but I guess that is the way it's done by the book.

Theoretically, a STR 10 telekinetic could lift a thousand objects each weighing 100 kg, as long as he takes 1000 Phases, keep everything in Line of Sight and pays END for each power use per Phase (works a lot better if you have 0 END TK).

The same telekinetic could NEVER lift a single 200 kg object without pushing his TK.

Of course you could institute a house rule to take care of the silliness if you want. It doesn't bother me, I don't think much in a scientific way. As long as I don't get a player who would abuse stuff, I don't much care.