Nazi Germany's Secret Plan to Bomb New York

Gunstar

Re: Nazi Germany's Secret Plan to Bomb New York

Velocity for a stable orbit is around 17,600 mph. Escape velocity is around 25,000 mph, or about 11 km/sec. That kind of velocity would be enough to achieve a fractional orbit, though--it would arc like an ICBM(which travels around 15,000 mph, IIRC). Manned spacecraft tend to have an acceleration around 3 Gs at launch, so that actually sounds feasible. "My Tank is Fight", though, noted that nobody knew much about air friction at hypersonic speeds, and the heat of re-entry at that time, so any maiden flight would have ended in catastrophe. Had they done experiements that discovered these things, they would have had to retool the craft to withstand those heat extremes, which might have cut down its useful payload.

Still, pretty amazing they even had blueprints for these kinds of projects(space planes and orbital stations).

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If it was the idea I read of, basically a V-2 inside a submersible capsule, intended to be towed within strike range by a U-boat....

Some time back I came across a rather mediocre novel entitled "Pivot" (as I recall). Can't remember the author and mainly bought a used copy of the book because of an illustration within that gave the floor-plan of such a sub. I had hopes of adapting it for my then ongoing Justice, Inc campaign (yes, it WAS that long ago...:yes: ). Sadly, that adventure never occurred....

One plot point of interest in the novel had agents from the German American Bund planting a transmitter into the Empire State Building so as to allow for accurate targeting by the V-2 in question...And in a sort of Wold Newton event, it became the eventual cause of Air Force bomber crashing into the Empire State Building after the war....

-Carl-

Some time back I came across a rather mediocre novel entitled "Pivot" (as I recall). Can't remember the author and mainly bought a used copy of the book because of an illustration within that gave the floor-plan of such a sub. I had hopes of adapting it for my then ongoing Justice, Inc campaign (yes, it WAS that long ago...:yes: ). Sadly, that adventure never occurred....

One plot point of interest in the novel had agents from the German American Bund planting a transmitter into the Empire State Building so as to allow for accurate targeting by the V-2 in question...And in a sort of Wold Newton event, it became the eventual cause of Air Force bomber crashing into the Empire State Building after the war....

-Carl-

Pivot by Van Zwienen, John 1980 ISBN: 0-515-05495-X Sadly out of print but looks like a number of copies availible used.