I'm confused about a rule...

JmOz

Okay, I did not want to post this on the rules boards, as I want to here multiple ideas, but Steve please do respond.

The rules issue is one on Foci, specificaly obvious/inobvious

My understanding is that if the power is in use it is obviously coming from the Foci then it is obvious, if the item is just needed for the power (a ring that grans EB's from the eyes) then it is Inobvious.

My problem comes from varius write ups that hold that if the gadget is NOT in use, but is hidden then it is Inobvious, even when you pull the item out it becomes obvious (A sword hidden in a cane)

I'm confused about this as well. So far, I've simply decided to base the LImitations on how the Power works when used. Granted, a sword that turns into a ring when not in use should cost more than a sword that goes into a scabard when not is use, but I haven't found a consistent way to account for this in game terms.

My opinion...

... is that a cane, as long as its paid for with points, is an obvious focus (hidden blade or no).

If a focus is hidden until it is used, then the point of it being obvious while hidden is moot. In any case, a hand held melee weapon should always be obvious whether blade, rock or club and it wouldn't become ovbious until it is brought out and used. I mean, it is a weapon after all.

Now if the cane held a sword that also had, say, an ego attack ability, then I could see buying inobvious for the sword's ego attack only... but the actual hack and slash ability of a sword should be obvious.

Concealing a weapon is covered in other rules, and has nothing to do with the focus' being obvious or inobvious.

Mags

Can I tell where the power's coming from?

Is it obvious that the power is coming from an item? The it is an obvious focus, in my book.

To compare to your cane/sword example: If WesternLady has a derringer strapped to her thigh, you can't see it until she's ready to use it... just as you can't see the sword until it pops out of the cane. But, at the point of exhibiting a power, you know where the bullet came from (she has to pull the Derringer... unless you want to give a whole new meaning to "shoot from the hip").

Magmarock is right that concealing the weapon is a different question. For Obvious/Inobvious focus questions, it's a matter of, "can I tell where the power came from?"

Re: Can I tell where the power's coming from?

Originally posted by Watchman-BN

Is it obvious that the power is coming from an item? The it is an obvious focus, in my book.

To compare to your cane/sword example: If WesternLady has a derringer strapped to her thigh, you can't see it until she's ready to use it... just as you can't see the sword until it pops out of the cane. But, at the point of exhibiting a power, you know where the bullet came from (she has to pull the Derringer... unless you want to give a whole new meaning to "shoot from the hip").

Magmarock is right that concealing the weapon is a different question. For Obvious/Inobvious focus questions, it's a matter of, "can I tell where the power came from?"

Right. I think the real question is, "When I am facing off against this character in combat, and (s)he is using a power, is it obvious how I would deprive him/her of the power?"

Re: Re: Can I tell where the power's coming from?

Originally posted by prestidigitator

Right. I think the real question is, "When I am facing off against this character in combat, and (s)he is using a power, is it obvious how I would deprive him/her of the power?"

A very good point. I have a PC in my game who has a suit of armor that is obvious, but there is a means of disabling the suit with one move, if you know how. While the suit itself is obvious, the means of disabling it is inobvious.

So it's an OAF disguised as an OIF. To me that's worth 1/2 though I'd entertain an argument of it actually being worth 3/4, because if I decide his opponent is a genius the guy might know how to disable it immediately.

But as for the hidden/not-hidden aspect of a focus, if WHEN IN USE the power is obvious then I consider it an obvious focus. If I stick a gun in my pocket it's still an obvious focus, because the second I fire it you know right where the bullet came from and you can move to disable it.