Israeli Start-Up Makes Army Units Vanish Into Thin Air

austenandrews

FLIR camo? Sounds interesting.

http://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/137553

Meet the Black Fox Active Adaptive IR Stealth System, created by Israeli start-up firm Eltics Ltd., a company that produces electronic warfare systems in Ashkelon. The new technology can make a helicopter, tank or ship, vanish into thin air.

Re: Israeli Start-Up Makes Army Units Vanish Into Thin Air

Not foolproof - camo, not invisibility - but pretty slick. The part about disguising your heat signature as something else is nifty. I'd like to see a demo of that.

How does it mask waste heat, though? Is there an internal heat sink or something? Is it possible to shift it to a non-FLIR frequency, maybe? Or is it only good until the plates heat up?

"Convincing" is NOT the word I'd use for that demonstration video.

Pics or it didn't happen.

It wasn't a demonstration video. Its a concept video for the idea, so it doesn't have to convince you it exists/works. It has to convince you its worth dumping R&D dollars into. DARPA and US defense contractors make the same kinds of videos for their spec projects all the time. That said, the journalist who wrote the article AA linked to is one of ours, and we had her on with one of our hosts last week. The first round of tests was completed a few months ago, which means there is (theoretically) more work to be done before it can be put into production or the field.

Not foolproof - camo' date=' not invisibility - but pretty slick. The part about disguising your heat signature as something else is nifty. I'd like to see a demo of that.[/quote']

The reason the news piece is timely is that hizbullah is stocking up on heat seeking rockets to try to neutralize our strategic advantage. In addition to heat seekers, they've also been stockpiling rockets to hit our civilian population with. They have and estimated 8x as many rockets (of all kinds) as they did two years ago. Our focus has been technology intended to keep the strategic edge, like this project. There is a strong sense among my military friends that this summer-fall may turn into Round 2. I know several sayaret guys, both active and reserve. The reservists have been called up for additional training cycles, all along the syrian-lebanese border. And, the active duty guys are doing helicopter mobilization and jump training beyond the norm. If I were hizbullah I'd wait until I had a firmer grip on lebanon's government, which could take until next spring-summer. We'll see what happens.

The reason the news piece is timely is that hizbullah is stocking up on heat seeking rockets to try to neutralize our strategic advantage.

I figured that would be a primary use. Seems like it'd be of more restricted utility against human eyes, but against heat-seeking tech and even IR pattern matching it might be very effective.

Good point, though . . . where DOES the heat go? Seems like you'd need to have an internal cooling system which dumped the waste heat to an air stream mixed with large volumes of cool air to avoid having a visible hot air plume . . .