Mind Control Bug

comradeDa

Hey

I want to build a mind control bug that a character inserts into an opponent (or civilian). Once the bug is inserted, the character with the bug inside their head will obey the inserter's orders (or as though mind control was used on them).

The other thing you'd be able to do with it is give a future command to be obeyed, and respond to some signal. Basically, making sleeper agents.

I really don't know where to start. :/

Re: Mind Control Bug

Well, the bug gets put in someone. I got as far as IIF, but how do I make it almost permanent (unless removed), and require it to be put in someone?

Would that be requires skill roll, takes time (say ten minutes to half an hour, assuming you have all the tools)?

Well, the bug gets put in someone. I got as far as IIF, but how do I make it almost permanent (unless removed), and require it to be put in someone?

Would that be requires skill roll, takes time (say ten minutes to half an hour, assuming you have all the tools)?

Well the continuous and uncontrolled advantages is what comes to mind for making it more or less permanent... I am not certain any skill roll would be required to implant the bug unless implanting it requires surgery or something.

I think this depends on how easy it is to remove. If the bug can be removed in one turn out of combat, and an Inaccessible focus would be appropriate. If it takes longer than that I don't think it would be a focus at all - it sounds like it would just be the SFX of the power. Physical Manifestation are considered obvious (6E1 126), so if this is the classic brain worm grub think like Star Trek II, then it doesn't sound like it's obvious.

That being said, it's clearly a limitation - but it sounds more like it's a limitation in how the power is applied in the first place. To put it another way, you can't just your attack against a character and go with this - you need to get the bug in them. Working reason from effect I can think of the following questions:

1. How do you get the bug in them? Do you need to be in physical contact with them? Can you just throw the bug at them? Does it require surgery? This could imply requiring a skill roll, or range limitations. Surgery would probably be gestures and concentration, along with limitations for requiring tools or other equipment.
  2. How long after the bug is on them does it take for the power to take effect? Is it instant? Does it take a phase or two, or longer? This would imply extra time limitations. Another way to do this might be to have a low grade attack that is cumulative.
  3. How easy is it to remove the bug once you know it's there? This can likely be derived from the answer to how you place the bug in the first place.
  4. How long will the target be under Mind Control once applied? Based on the notion of sleeper cells, it sounds like it could be really long time. You probably want 0 END and Constant to keep the breakout rolls from getting better. After a few steps on the time chart it becomes unlikely someone will break out on their own without assistance. Check 6E1 148-155 for more information on this.
  5. Does the target know the bug is there? The answer to this question and how the bug was implanted might imply other powers to remove their knowledge of the attack. You might be able to pull this off with the +10 or +20 Mind Control modifiers.
  6. Future Command could be the Set Effect limitation on Mind Control.

I hope this helps. If you can post more information related to this we can probably offer more suggestions. I'd like to see what you come up with either way, this is fun stuff :)

The bug is intended to be implanted while the target is unconcious, and the subject shouldn't have any memory of it. It's intended to be something the players can find (by a telltale scar on the back of their enemies necks, and the plot thickens). It also provides an easy explanation why the villains find so many willing mooks (given that the setting is a very cliche super hero universe, and it's often not really touched on why there are so many mooks).

Once you know the bug is there, I guess you could get a knife and cut into the back of your own neck and remove it, although you risk paralysis and possibly death if you do.

It should probably take effect once the target is concious again.

Ok

So, say, Sleeper Capsule Injector: is an OAF (like a needle gun thingy you use to implant the capsule)

Mental Transform:

Probably Major Transform

Blah d6

AVAD

Works against EGO, not BODY

Adds Psychological Complication: Sleeper Agent

25 point complication

Obey commands, forgets actions taken while under control

Total Intensity

End

All or Nothing

Limited Target (humans, things with biological brains that understand the language of )

Character must have surgery or remove the capsule in some way (for instance, if they can shapeshift out of it). Obviously, they wouldn't be inclined to, and wouldn't have any memory of it being implanted, so they'd have to find out later.

Extra Time, takes around a minute to thirty seconds

End

End

I think it might be a Severe Transform based on this:

giving to (or removing from) someone up to 20 Character Points’ worth of a Complication (possibly more' date=' at the GM’s option) (One exception: making someone a character’s slave; that requires a Severe Transform.)[/quote']

Other than that I think this looks pretty good. You might consider adding Trigger if they're a sleeper agent and it doesn't actually go off until some command phrase or something.