For Kazei 5: Hard-to-control esper powers

Re: For Kazei 5: Hard-to-control esper powers

I don't have Kazei 5 yet' date=' but this sounds like you would simply take the value of the RSR and drop it one or two values since it doesn't effect the use of the ability at full power.[/quote']

Good point. I've also been thinking about the typical skill roll and power levels involved; it should probably be -1 per 5pts below maximum to be worth anything at all.

The result of a failed skill roll is another interesting question: what happens? A)Nothing or B)Full power.

Good point. I've also been thinking about the typical skill roll and power levels involved; it should probably be -1 per 5pts below maximum to be worth anything at all.

The result of a failed skill roll is another interesting question: what happens? A)Nothing or B)Full power.

Side effect which has the power going out of control. ie effecting the character and the party

I was actually going to ask that myself but I forgot. One idea might be to use a system similar to the Pulled Punch manuever, that effect more OCV the more powerful the attack is and can result in a full power hit anyway if you roll the exact number needed. Maybe call it a -1/4 Side Effect and call it good.

You could also put in things like Increased END when used at less than full power, No Fine Manipulation on TK when used at less than full power (or something like that), or increase the level of Epser Side Effects (due to "leakage") when used at less than full power. In other words, when the character unleashes something at full power, everything's fine. The esper energy becomes fire and forget. But when at less than full power, the esper is trying to dampen their own power—and the excess has to go somewhere....

Both as a GM and as a fan of the genre, I'd probably treat this differently. If you can use it at full power with no problems, I'd have to ask how often you'd want to use less than full power, and why.

At that point, we'd figure out how to write it up. A RSR with -1 per 5 under full power, by itself, sounds like a -0 for me. That said, if failing the skill roll caused a side effect, I might allow full value for the SE.

Both as a GM and as a fan of the genre, I'd probably treat this differently. If you can use it at full power with no problems, I'd have to ask how often you'd want to use less than full power, and why.

At that point, we'd figure out how to write it up. A RSR with -1 per 5 under full power, by itself, sounds like a -0 for me. That said, if failing the skill roll caused a side effect, I might allow full value for the SE.

The tricky part here is "full power with no problems." In Kazei 5, esper powers always have side effects in proportion to their power level, which gives more incentive than usual to dial them down. They all have a -1/4 side effect limitation to reflect this. It begins with 15pt Trivial side effects, and goes all the way up to unlimited, GM's-option "Akira-style" fallout side effects. (with 30/60/120pt stages in between)

So with the above comments in mind, I'm leaning towards giving the skill roll a -1/4 limitation, and raising the base side effects one level on a failed roll, which could get really ugly. The increased End cost is also looking good. Thanks to all for your input on this!