Infusing a Weapon

Michael Hopcroft

In one of the fiction pieces I wrote, I had this spell, referred to in the story as Golden Blade.

It was cast upon a normal sword. That sword gained two qualities: it became utterly destructive to demons and other magical beings -- even ones immune to normal weapons -- and it became able to deflect mystical energies of enormous power. The downside is that when the spell ends, either through running out of time or the caster "turning it off", the blade crumbles to dust leaving only the hilt.

What are some good ways to build a spell like this....

Re: Infusing a Weapon

How does this look?

Golden Blade enchantment: (Total: 70 Active Cost, 18 Real Cost) Change Environment (Varying Combat Effects) (10 Active Points); OAF Expendable (Easy to obtain new Focus; -1), No Range (-1/2), Extra Time (Full Phase, Only to Activate, -1/4), 1 Continuing Charge lasting 6 Hours (-0) (Real Cost: 4)

plus Killing Attack - Ranged 2d6, Armor Piercing (x2; +1/2), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (60 Active Points); Limited Power Power loses about two-thirds of its effectiveness (only vs demons; -1 1/2), OAF Expendable (Easy to obtain new Focus; -1), No Range (-1/2), Extra Time (Full Phase, Only to Activate, -1/4) (Real Cost: 14)

Re: Infusing a Weapon

I think the idea of the Expendable focus being the sword the spell is cool but I believe it would get consumed at the time of casting.

A side effect that destroys the sword when the spell ends might work better.

You might want a Missile Deflect and/or a Dispel as well.