6th ed updates for Mechanon and Dr Destroyer?

Boll Weevil

I bought The Book of the Machine at GenCon last year to console myself for going home without a hard copy of 6th ed. I loved it. I finally got my 6th ed books and started the laborious task of updating my characters to 6th. Ok, I'll admit. I actually enjoyed the process. My campaign world and it's denizens have gotten a reboot with every edition. I recently bought Book of the Destroyer and have enjoyed it immensely.

The problem is, my "new" sourcebooks were outdated before I even bought them. Are there any sources for 6th ed updates? Are the HD packs for Books of the Machine & Destroyer updated or are they still in 5th ed? I haven't upgraded my Hero Designer to 6th yet but I gladly would if it would ease my conversion load.

I'm not complaining about this and would appreciate if responders would follow suit. Does any one have any ideas on the best way to proceed to have 6th ed updated character sheets from these two wonderful books?

Re: 6th ed updates for Mechanon and Dr Destroyer?

I'm actually of two minds on how to convert between 5eR and 6e.

One method is simply try to convert as close to 1:1 as you can, ignoring costs as needed and adapting to changes as necessary. It's pretty straight forward, but surprises are possible (Megascale comes to mind). The change from 1"=2m and costing in 'inches' to costing in meters is something to keep an eye on as well. The major plus is it's the easiest path to take, and you can use previous edition material 'on-the-fly' (ie: w/o taking the time to convert) should you want/need to...

This ignores the effect of eliminating Figured Characteristics. One of the first conversions I tried (as a thought exercise) was Photon in CKC. I first converted 1:1 (as close as the rules allowed), and then evaluated how I'd write the sheet if I were going to use it in my game as an ongoing character (something I tend to do with most published chars -- there are almost always things I'd do differently one way or another for an assortment of reasons). The biggest thing that leapt out at me was there is absolutely no reason for this character to have a 30 DEX in 6e! It doesn't save you any points on buying her SPD and OCV/DCV up to 5e levels, and she doesn't have any DEX-based Skills. DEX is still used to determine order of attack in a phase, but Lightning Reflexes-All Actions is significantly cheaper than buying the equivalent amount of DEX. If you limit the LR to only her Ranged powers, you save even more...

That brings up the second option. Re-thinking your 'standard' ranges for characteristics like DEX and SPD, and converting all characters to the new levels. This will take a little more work, and forces you to decide how much of an impact you want to have on your gaming experience. DEX is probably the easiest -- you can have your PCs/major villains clustering around (say) 18 instead of 23 and have no real impact on play while leaving the agents/mooks clustering between 10-15. Dropping your SPD range from 4-6 to 3-5 starts becoming more problematic if your agents/mooks are running between 2-4...

I'm currently thinking its easier to keep my existing games as 5eR, and running anything new as 6e and converting existing material based on where we design the PCs...

I bought The Book of the Machine at GenCon last year to console myself for going home without a hard copy of 6th ed. I loved it. I finally got my 6th ed books and started the laborious task of updating my characters to 6th. Ok, I'll admit. I actually enjoyed the process. My campaign world and it's denizens have gotten a reboot with every edition. I recently bought Book of the Destroyer and have enjoyed it immensely.

The problem is, my "new" sourcebooks were outdated before I even bought them. Are there any sources for 6th ed updates? Are the HD packs for Books of the Machine & Destroyer updated or are they still in 5th ed? I haven't upgraded my Hero Designer to 6th yet but I gladly would if it would ease my conversion load.

I'm not complaining about this and would appreciate if responders would follow suit. Does any one have any ideas on the best way to proceed to have 6th ed updated character sheets from these two wonderful books?

First, HD does NOT do conversions between 5e and 6e. If you change a character's template from 5e to 6e you can do damage to the saved file and make the character unopenable. Also the current updates to HD have both 5e and 6e built in so you can still open and work on 5e characters.

The Metaplots in 5e books have crossed over to 6e so you won't see changes there. I think that the upcoming Champions Villians Trilogy of books will have updated writeups of Mechanon, Dr Destroyer and Shadow Destroyer. That series should be shipping before too long.

There's really no reason you couldn't use a 5e write up in 6e. Some of the powers have a different name and the point totals are a bit different. I'll bet that the "official" 6e conversions of them will be the same as the 5e version.

Both Dr. Destroyer and Mechanon, along with various and sundry minions, henchmen, robots, and so on, are featured in the forthcoming Volume 1 of Champions Villains. You won't find every single thing from BotD or BotM re-created in CV1, but I suspect you'll find more than enough to get you started, and to guide you on the way to updating other characters if you're so inclined. :hex:

Both Dr. Destroyer and Mechanon' date=' along with various and sundry minions, henchmen, robots, and so on, are featured in the forthcoming Volume 1 of [i']Champions Villains.[/i] You won't find every single thing from BotD or BotM re-created in CV1, but I suspect you'll find more than enough to get you started, and to guide you on the way to updating other characters if you're so inclined. :hex:

Well, I bought Enemies, Enemies 2, Enemies 3, Classic Enemies and Conquerors Killers and Crooks. I suppose I need to make some room on that shelf :)