• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ragitsu

• Certified

• tkdguy

• Clonus

CHAKOTAY: Computer, identify program.

COMPUTER: The program in progress is a holonovel based on the epic Earth poem Beowulf.

TUVOK: Beowulf?

CHAKOTAY: An ancient English epic, set in sixth century Denmark, if I remember correctly. It's about a hero named Beowulf who fights a creature that's terrorizing a kingdom and murdering its subjects. Monsters and swordplay. That sort of thing.

Martial Arts In Metahumans Rising Part 20: The Crucible

There is the right way, the wrong way, and the hard way. The Crucible isn't any one style but rather the idea that someone who is forced to defend themselves will over time become adept in doing so, learning what they need one fight at a time.

#Metahumans #Superheroes #TTRPG #TTRPGSolidarity #TTRPGRising #MartialArts #HardKnocks

That was one of two references to Macbeth in TLOTR. You see in Macbeth, the witches make two prophecies about Macbeth, that he shall not be defeated until

Great Birnam Wood to high Dunsinane Hill

Shall come against him.

MacDuff later orders his men while marching through Birnam Wood to cut wood from the trees to make torches which they then bear on their night attack on Dunsinane. Burning wood. Shakespeare you card. You hack.

Anyway this is the reason why the Ents exist, so they could literally make a forest march on Saruman's tower.

The second one was the prediction that no man of woman born can slay Macbeth. Turns out that Macduff's mother died in child-birth so he was cut out of her ala the myth about Julius Caesar who gave his name to the Caesarian section. That one really pissed off Tolkien, who realized that if you were going to engage in that kind of word play there were better options like having a nonhuman or a woman kill the target of the prophecy. He went with both, a woman and a nonhuman working together to kill the target.

Here's the thing though, it's not that women or hobbits were the Witch King's kryptonite. It's just that he happened to be predestined to die under that particular circumstance.

For Certified ->

Because life is an adventure and adventures - trekked with boots or books - are life.

For Clonus ->

All we can do is use our time to leave things a little bit...better.

For L. Marcus ->

(Just kidding.)

We fear the night, though it abounds with beauty.

For tkdguy ->

May your brush strokes be ever true.

On 1/2/2024 at 11:22 PM, L. Marcus said:

Hurm ... not a fan of the character design of GA there -- he looks more like his uncle Erik XIV than anyone.

I know about as much as Sweden as I do Denmark, so I'll take your word for it.

(By the way, I know about as much as Denmark as I do Sweden.)

---

https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/29b5a914-e073-4fa5-800f-060c06460f83

Day Jobs 19: Principal

Captains of industry, executives, the boss, these principals will take you to a very different school.

#Metahumans #Superheroes #TTRPG #TTRPGSolidarity #TTRPGRising #DayJobs #Principal