X-COM: UFO Defense as an RPG setting

CptPatriot

I am looking to start plans for running an X-Com campaign with my friends. To that end, I am pouring over the X-Com UFOpaedia for notes I can use to port over the aliens and equipment from the game. Once done, I will make it available on my HEROphiles site for all to share.

Anyone have any prior work they can offer up to assist?

Re: X-COM: UFO Defense as an RPG setting

The thought had occurred to me before to try this but I never got much past the beginning but I had made some observations that could be very helpful. As far as weapons and the like go you already got stats, use or borrow a Dark Champions book for the stats of the real weapons. Then most weaponry is you figuring out how much a difference you want to have between weapon classes. Body armor follows the same deal. If you plan on having dogfights look up some vehicles in the vehicle guide then do the same as the weapons and armor.

I got no useful material for you,

but i can wish you all the luck of the world 'cause X-Com settings is something i'd like too :)

sometime i start thinking "hey this will be a wonderful setting" then i stopped and started working on something else

btw, as you are asking for some advices:

1) in game there are a lot around weapons and armors (mostly weapons) and also veichles; so making weapons and veichles really different by themselves it will be good thing. Example: made lasers vs bolter vs plasma rifle a viable option (ie lasers -> no clip, hi range, medium power; bolter -> few charges but lot of autofire;: plasma rifle -> lot of damage but less charge and only single shot); in this way you can create the feeling of "different weapons means more flexibility" and also give characthers a way to customise their game style.

made it different also for secondary equipment or items not covered in the game (ie: nanotubular beds are more confortable than normal ones!); this one will make player feel like real advance in technology even if they are'nt in combat

2) videogame is not yout game; i mean, ok videogame is cool and is the base you create your game around.

BUT

you need to make things your, and playful, and funny. If a videogame says weapon A work in this way, and you whant them working in a different way... just change it :)

noone will kill you (i hope :P ) if you are changing a little the "world" they play in

of course, if you say aliens are just little dwarves posing for alien using magic rings... well... this could be more than "little change" :D

3) catch the feel

playing a "terror attack" is not just going here and killing the bad alien

is somethig tense, fearful; every corner is a possible death trap, every civilian could be an enemy disguised

make the player them break their nerve

scare them

and make them react at every single sound, every single little sound

and, of course, if they kill a civilian for mistake make them facing the consequencies

i hope this will help you

and if you found the topic useless, well, i hope it did'nt cost you too much time :)

i'll be in touch to see what you produce! :)

and again, GOOD LUCK

Not X-Com related specifically (I admit I have virtually no familiarity with the game/storyline) BUT if you can get your hands on the old Super Agents supplement you might be able to make use of some of the Near Earth Defense (as I recall the groups name) items...They would need to be updated to 5th or 6th edition (depending on what you are using).

My $.02US. YMMV.

-Carl-

......Although that had more of The Invaders feel to it' date=' if I recall correctly.[/quote']

Yes...The Invaders and/or the British SF series U.F.O...The one from Gerry Anderson. With Supreme Headquarters Alien Defense Organization (AKA S.H.A.D.O.). Near Earth Defense reminds/reminded me of both.

-Carl-