Hero System Skill vs. Ulitimate Skill?

Lightning91

While perusing my copy of Fantasy Hero 6e, I realized there were multiple references to Hero System Skill (HSS), including page references. I had not seen any announcements for this 6e book, but assumed it would be The Ultimate Skill updated for 6e. What really attracted my attention were the page references, since I could not imagine these would be available unless the book was in the layout stage. After a quick review of The Ultimate Skill, I realize the page references matches without exception.

Has anyone heard if they plan to re-release The Ultimate Skill with a new title and/or new cover when it is time to re-print? I doubt any major revisions are planned given the inclusion of page references in FH6e. Was there an announcement that I missed?

Re: Hero System Skill vs. Ulitimate Skill?

I can clear this up. ;)

HERO System Skills is going to be the 6E version of The Ultimate Skill. So that I can reference it easily in books until it's ready, I've already done the work to change/update the manuscript and made sure to keep all the pages identical. Thus, as you note, the page references are the same -- when I mention a page in HSS, you can just look up whatever it is on the exact same page of TUS.

The plan was to have HSS ready as a PDF by now, then use that to print a book when that's called for (i.e., when we sell out of TUS and there's enough demand to justify a new printing bill). Unfortunately Fred's been so busy that he simply hasn't had the time to do all the final steps involved in linking the art and finalizing a PDF for sale. So for the time being, just keep lookin' things up in TUS, and we'll get you HSS as soon as we can. :hex:

So how are you going to handle things that have changed names (charmed for instance)? Will it be under seduction and have a note to look under S?

in the previous thread about this this is exactly what Steve said he would do. Though he said something about possibly changing it for hardcopy. There will be a side bar note on the page where charm SHOULD be sending us to Charm's home in Seductions' location.

So how are you going to handle things that have changed names (charmed for instance)? Will it be under seduction and have a note to look under S?

For the time being Charm is simply out of order; it's where Seduction used to be. If and when we get ready to turn this into an actual printed book we'll move it into the proper alphabetical location and make up the difference with the pages saved from the fact that Combat Skill Levels don't require as lengthy a writeup (for now those pages are simply blank). That will result in a few pages between the two Skills possibly being off by a page or two, but that will be the only problem.

... Combat Skill Levels don't require as lengthy a writeup (for now those pages are simply blank).

Damn, I thought with the page numbers being the same we'd be getting the same uber-detailed CSL section. How many pages of juicy granularity of CSLs are we talking about losing here?