More Areas for the Genie's Prison.

denizen

Seeing the Darmondrat's Palace in Fantasy Hero Battlegrounds has really inspired me, and I was wondering if something further could be done with it. New areas of the Jinn's prison.

As a pocket dimension it could be really huge. You could place islands and seas in it if you care to, with the genie running the place as a god. Servants whether real or constructs everywhere, a great palace, fountains of sparkling water and red wine! A flowered garden and palm trees everywhere. A city of servants, an arena, hypodrome, boat races in a purple sea.

Maybe the servants of the genie all look familiar--or that there are similarities between classes of servants as if there are several different series of clone slaves with only differences of ages and dress and style. What if the servants are all constructs of all the masters the genie has had over the years?

Any other ideas?

Re: More Areas for the Genie's Prison.

Hi Denizen: I liked the Genie's Prison as well. I think I really liked the idea of different challenges that the PC have to accomplish. It felt like a FH Danger Room kinda and I like it...I plan to use it for my group in the next set of adventures. ;)

Sorry...didn't really answer your question. :)

I found Darmondrat's Palace to be very similar to the old Ravenloft Adventure the Forgotten Terror, which in itself was pretty similar to the cell. In that one the PCs are trapped in a gemstone on the pommel of a soul-stealing dagger, which is now a pocket dimension with different "facets" each representing a different part of the dimensional lord's personality or part of his past. Each area also required the PCs to find a particular gem before they could leave each area. I recommend it if you can find it for mining new ideas for the actual adventure.

This reminds me of a question I had long ago, which is what happens to a genie if his lamp/ring/whatever link he has to human reality is destroyed. Does he stay in the pocket universe with no means of ever getting out (although if the "prison" is that comfortable why does he want to?)?

This reminds me of a question I had long ago, which is what happens to a genie if his lamp/ring/whatever link he has to human reality is destroyed. Does he stay in the pocket universe with no means of ever getting out (although if the "prison" is that comfortable why does he want to?)?
That's why magical artifacts are usually made indestructible in most stories.

Decades ago, I was kicking around a genie in a tesseract idea. The cube was a 1 cubic kilometer tesseract with each of the 3d cubes being a different environment. I forget what the "outside" cubes were, but the top cube was the genie's palace, a pavilion set in a desert around an oasis. The center cube was a huge community center with living areas, shops, and entertainment establishments. The basement cube was a 3d dungeon, in which adventurers could LARP their way through, and spectators could bet on the outcome. Orcs were people who had lost money, it was sort of a debtors prison setup for the Black Hats.

The main idea with the tesseract was to have some fun with curved gravity. I planned a central river that would run through all the cubes, with two specific sights worth seeing. First, on the dungeon level, the river would run through its bed on the floor of the main cavern, and through its bed on the ceiling of the main cavern, floor and ceiling being chosen by which way the adventurers followed the river.

Second was having a fountain - the river falling "up" from the floor of the residential cube, all the way to the pavilion in the top cube, and on into the next cube.

That's why magical artifacts are usually made indestructible in most stories.

These are gamers we're talking about. They are very creative in finding ways to destroy the indestructible.

The genie may want his prison to be less than permanent. He might find being in the mortal world tiresome, with silly stupid people wishing for trifles and aggrandizing themselves at the universe's expense. In that case, he might like nothing better than to be left alone for a while.

Disney, in the TV version of Aladdin, took the approach that the hero had used his last wish to release the genie from bondage. He no longer had a prison and got to spend as much time in the mortal world as he liked doing whatever he saw fit to do. He continued to work with Aladdin out of friendship and mutual respect.