Post Apocalyptic Hero

CorpCommander

Was there ever a supplement on this? Have many (any?) run a game like this? At around 1am last night I started to write out ideas I was having on how to run this. My influences have been Gamma World (stupid but inspiring when I was 15), Aftermath, Morrow Project, Fallout (computer game), Twilight 2000, Road Warrior, Aliens, The Postman (David Brin novel not the Kevin Costner film), Dr. Strange Love, Arthur C. Clarke, Azimov, "A Matter for Men" by David Gerrold, et. al.

What I am going for is quite similar to Aftermath and Morrow project. The basic premise is that 150 or so years from now the Earth encounters another race in space. They are drawn to our Solar System where we try to make peaceful contact. They on the other hand wage war. They've lost their homeworld and now are looking for a new one. At first they attempt a military conquest. However, though Earth has a much lower overall tech level, we are experts at fighting and have recently been involved in fighting for our own planets amongst each other. Their ships are less efficent than ours are. They need to devote a lot of space to interstellar drives. For the same size class we pack a lot more weapons. We defeat them in space.

Their second attempt is via a massive biological attack. They send pods with plauge and hideous terror beasts. (Think "Aliens") Though there is much destruction we fight off that threat too. Global Cooperation is at an all time high.

Earth Space command determines the location of the invader's "Mothership" and sends a task force after it. In desperation an alien taskforce uses their technology to rip a large moon from on of the jovian planets and hurtles it towards Earth while the Mothership is destroyed.

Earth doesn't have the ability to alter gravity and turn moons into bombs. Nor does it have the technology to stop this. Something must be done. A plan is divised to attempt to shatter the moon on the way in. Yes, the smaller bits will come in and cause catastrophic damage but it won't be a Global Killer. In order to survive the aftermath vaults are created where some of Earth's finest will be housed in cryo sleep. When they emerge they will bring with them Order, Security, Technology and Culture back to the world.

After 2 years of preparation the vaults are created and the chosen half percent of humanity decend to sleep. The Nuclear Winter that is expected to follow is predicted to last 3 years. The Vault Computers are set to monitor conditions and release the inhabitants after 3 years. There may be survivors.

Your Vault opens up. Elapsed time: 198 years. Something has gone wrong. The computer indicates that radioactive fallout was the reason the Vault has been kept sealed. There are only 2 years left on the Vault's powercel. You've been awoken to determine what happened (the moon shards shouldn't have caused the fallout), get a recharged powercel or establish another source of energy and begin the mission.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Of course what happened was after the vaults were sealed those left behind went into a panicked frenzy. Scientist left above worked hard seeking any means necessary to stave off the inevitable. This they managed, to a degree, finding ways to deflect more of the shards. However, global chaos reigned supream. One last short war was fought before the end. The Vault was within a mile of ground zero. The landscape has changed. Great cities are in ruins. There are many wastelands, some radioactive. Humans did survive and many raided helpless vaults. Humans band under warlords, bandits, nomads and farmers. The world still harbors alien horrors and plague. There are no mutants, for the sun has beat down more radation over eons than the pitiful war was able to produce. There has been a slow emergence of psi ability among the surface dwellers.

You are part of an action team. Equiped with a RAVEN (Rapid All-terrain Vehicle with Enhanced Navigation), an amphibious, mobile lab, home, hospital and military vehicle you set out upon the Broken Earth. Your objective is to restore order and create a new world.

I took a lot of notes on the structure of the Vault teams. At the top is a draconian Vault Computer that guides the entire base. The personel are divided up into the following major teams:

GOV -- Government, for reinstating order

MIL -- Military, for establishing security

SCI -- Science, for pure R&D, scientific thought, etc.

MED -- Medicine, the application of medical science

ART -- Culture, for re-establishing human culture before the catastrophe

REL -- Religion, Deacons for a sort of generic amalgum of pre-catastrophe religions

TEK -- Technology, the guys that fix the stuff: Mechanics, computer guys, communications guys, etc.

I have a bunch of other notes on the subject. I will be producing stats for a wide range of items such as the RAVEN, the weapons, etc.

Comments?

Sounds like a well thought-out campaign premise, pretty "classic" post-apoc.

From your description I think you could get some good use out of Ron Miller"s excellent "Wasteland Hero" online campaign sourcebook for the HERO System:

http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Park/3440/rpgs.html

In case you haven't seen it, the thread below lists a great deal of source material for post-apocalyptic gaming from several media, with links to most of the past discussions on the subject on the Hero Games boards:

http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3523&highlight=post

• 11 months later...

Re: Post Apocalyptic Hero

a few years ago i put together a bibliography of post-apocalyptic fiction. it contains scores of novels that aren't mentioned in the other thread.

i've reposted it to the web here:

Thank you for that wonderful list of Post-Apoc novels! I wonder if any who read this thread have tried out the following...

Richard Austin's "Guardian" series...

J.D. Cameron's "Omega Sub" series...

Glen Cook's "The Heirs of Babylon"

One book on that list that was particularly bad (IMO) was Sterling Lanier's "Hiero's Journey". Read this one at your peril!