Presti's Weapon Rebuilds

Re: Presti's Weapon Rebuilds

Small/Light Weapons

Knives, daggers, slings, etc. Not only are they small and easy to conceal, but with some practice even a child can wield them and do some damage. I plan to build these with either no Strength Minimum Limitation, or a very negligible one (Str 1 or so).

The differences between, say, different knives and daggers will be in the amount of damage they can do, whether or not they are built to be thrown, how concealable they are (bonuses to Concealment and Sleight of Hand), and how useful they are as tools outside of combat (e.g. most knives might be built with +1 to Survival, and might also include something like Naked Armor Piercing vs. fiberous materials like rope and cloth).

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thrown Weapons

To go with the spirit of the system and various Powers, thrown weapons will be built with Powers such as Blast and Ranged Killing Attack (possibly in a Multipower for weapons that can also be wielded in hand-to-hand). To simulate Strength being used to increase the damage of these thrown weapons, the Strength Minimum built into the throwing of the weapons will represent the strength of a character who can maximize each weapon's damage and the weapon will be built with 1-point OPSLs to compensate for lack of Strength. This will create an effective Str Min that is below the actual one, and the range of Strengths in between will produce the same OCV but differing amounts of damage.

For example, a thrown weapon might be built as a 2d6 RKA with Strength Minimum: 20 (-1) plus OPSLs: +3 OCV vs. Strength Minimum penalties. This gives an effective Str Min of 5 for 1d6K of damage. Characters with 10+ Str will do 1d6+1K damage. Characters with 15+ Str will do 1.5d6K damage. Characters with 20+ Str will do the full 2d6K damage. Only characters with under 5 Str will suffer -1 OCV when throwing the weapon. (This is a purely hypothetical example; the chosen values are not meant to represent any actual weapon.)

NOTE: This will mean that the base damage of thrown weapons will generally be larger than the base damage of weapons used in HTH combat. In 5E this might have been a problem, but in 6E we can simply understand that it is due to a difference in simulating strength-based weapons with ranged Powers that Strength does not add to, and GMs can take this into consideration when placing maximums on added damage.

Thrown Weapons

To go with the spirit of the system and various Powers, thrown weapons will be built with Powers such as Blast and Ranged Killing Attack (possibly in a Multipower for weapons that can also be wielded in hand-to-hand). To simulate Strength being used to increase the damage of these thrown weapons, the Strength Minimum built into the throwing of the weapons will represent the strength of a character who can maximize each weapon's damage and the weapon will be built with 1-point OPSLs to compensate for lack of Strength. This will create an effective Str Min that is below the actual one, and the range of Strengths in between will produce the same OCV but differing amounts of damage.

For example, a thrown weapon might be built as a 2d6 RKA with Strength Minimum: 20 (-1) plus OPSLs: +3 OCV vs. Strength Minimum penalties. This gives an effective Str Min of 5 for 1d6K of damage. Characters with 10+ Str will do 1d6+1K damage. Characters with 15+ Str will do 1.5d6K damage. Characters with 20+ Str will do the full 2d6K damage. Only characters with under 5 Str will suffer -1 OCV when throwing the weapon. (This is a purely hypothetical example; the chosen values are not meant to represent any actual weapon.)

NOTE: This will mean that the base damage of thrown weapons will generally be larger than the base damage of weapons used in HTH combat. In 5E this might have been a problem, but in 6E we can simply understand that it is due to a difference in simulating strength-based weapons with ranged Powers that Strength does not add to, and GMs can take this into consideration when placing maximums on added damage.

In 5th edition (and 4th too) I've always run Thrown weapons a HKA or Hand Attack with the Ranged advantage applied to them, then coupled with the Range based on Strength limitation. Thus they can already (by the rules) apply Strength to the damage, have a range and can still be used in melee combat if the wielder so decides.

In 5th edition (and 4th too) I've always run Thrown weapons a HKA or Hand Attack with the Ranged advantage applied to them' date=' then coupled with the Range based on Strength limitation. Thus they can already (by the rules) apply Strength to the damage, have a range and can still be used in melee combat if the wielder so decides.[/quote']

I know. Me too. However, I've had a bit of a problem with weapons being built that way even though we're constantly told, "You shouldn't do that." This approach struck me as a neat way to get around the hypocritical exceptions. A way that is as by-the-book as I think you can get for this sort of thing, too. It was inspired by debates we've had on the boards about Strength Minimums, Killing Attacks, Hand-to-Hand Attack, the rules for adding damage, etc.

Note that you can certainly apply the Range Based on Strength Limitation to Blast and RKA, too.

I know. Me too. However, I've had a bit of a problem with weapons being built that way even though we're constantly told, "You shouldn't do that." This approach struck me as a neat way to get around the hypocritical exceptions. A way that is as by-the-book as I think you can get for this sort of thing, too. It was inspired by debates we've had on the boards about Strength Minimums, Killing Attacks, Hand-to-Hand Attack, the rules for adding damage, etc.

Note that you can certainly apply the Range Based on Strength Limitation to Blast and RKA, too.

Wait... all of the thrown weapons in 6E (and 5E IIRC) are HKAs with Ranged Based On STR. However, I'm not sure on Ranged HAs. Perhaps an Advantage to add your STR to a Blast? Which... is an HA. Okay, GM's permission there.

Wait... all of the thrown weapons in 6E (and 5E IIRC) are HKAs with Ranged Based On STR. However' date=' I'm not sure on Ranged HAs. Perhaps an Advantage to add your STR to a Blast? Which... is an HA. Okay, GM's permission there.[/quote']

Yeah. The interesting news is that Strength lower than the Strength Minimum of a weapon is treated consistently: there is always a -1 OCV and -1 DC penalty now, even for weapons (e.g. ranged KAs) where you don't normally add DCs for extra Strength:

When a character lacks the STR to use a weapon effectively' date=' he suffers a -1 OCV and -1 DC penalty for every 5 points (or fraction thereof) his STR is below the STR Minimum.... Characters can also apply STR Minimum to Ranged weapons, such as bows, crossbows, and guns. However, those weapons are built with Blast or RKA, neither of which add damage from STR. Therefore characters can never add damage to these weapons by using extra STR; they can only suffer the OCV and DC penalties for having too little STR. Ranged weapons do not get an additional Limitation for this.[/quote']

So, eliminate the OCV penalties for the range of Str between the Str Min and the Str Min minus 5 times half the max DCs of the weapon and you perfectly simulate "adding DCs due to Strength" from the lower end of that Str range. And how do you eliminate a certain amount of OCV penalty due to a specific circumstance? Why OPSLs, of course. :)

Therefore, to me the difference between thrown weapons and projectile weapons can now neatly be summed up by the presence of these in-built OPSLs.