A specific spell system...

Psyche

Ok, I'm trying to get this just right, and I'm having a time making it all work out correctly. Anyone who has played in the old/new D&D campaign Dark Sun knows about that settings spellcasting system. I want to replicate it in HERO System.

The gist is this:

All spellcasters must draw energy from life around them to power their spells. They have to draw the energy in first, which they can then use to cast spells.

There are two types of casters: "defilers" and "preservers". "Defilers" draw energy from around them faster, but defile (kill; turn to ashen waste) all plant-life around them in an ever-increasing radius as they draw in power. "Preservers" must draw in the energy more slowly, but do not kill any plant-life around them in doing so.

How do I most closely duplicate this? I obvious want an END Reserve that has some limitations. First of all, all such spellcasters must have plant life around them (it can be fairly far away, not immediately around them; it can be simple scrub or dense forest) that require extra time to be spent to draw energy in for "preservers" (they can't just automatically refill their REC value each turn, they have to spend some sort of extra action to use their REC), and have "defilers" draw energy in normally (they get their REC value automatically each turn), but with a penalty of requiring it to kill said plant life in an expanding radius around it as a prerequisite.

However...and here is one of the tricky parts...someone can choose to either preserve or defile, they are not locked in to either choice.

The spells themselves are easy, being a typical framework. It's the END Reserve that I want to get down in the most effective, simple way possible. I figure the folks here can probably help me nail this precisely how I want it to perform.'

:)

Re: A specific spell system...

Hmm, thanks! That helps a little bit. That covers the Change Environment penalty, methinks.

However, what about the extra time? I'm still not entirely sure how to handle that with regards to REC. How do I simulate it actually taking someone actively recovering their endurance instead of passively regenerating it? The standard limitations don't quite seem to cover that. I'm not sure which way to go with it. Require an actual action during the turn to be spent (half phase or full phase?) or some sort of defensive penalty to represent concentrating on the drawing of energy?

I think the END battery is a great solution. Its one I'm using in a magical system I'm working on.

To help you determine the use of END for your system you might want to review the description of Endurance on PG 274 of FH 6e. It talks about buying endurance with limitations and advantages with GM approval.

Finally, to model what you are going for you also could use the optional Long Term Endurance rules from HS 6e2 Pg 132.

If I were to model this, I would keep it as simple as possible. First, have everyone power their spells with an END Reserve. The REC on the Reserve is dependent on the amount of plant life in the area. For "presevers", that REC is fairly small. For "defilers" that REC is large, but it must be activated and it has a Side Effect: Change Environment to kill surrounding plant life (you might have to play with the AoE on this to get the right feel). The real cost for the REC on each time of magic will likely be similar since the defilers get the Side Effect limitation, but you could adjust that as you see fit.

If I were to model this' date=' I would keep it as simple as possible. First, have everyone power their spells with an END Reserve. The REC on the Reserve is dependent on the amount of plant life in the area. For "presevers", that REC is fairly small. For "defilers" that REC is large, but it must be activated and it has a Side Effect: Change Environment to kill surrounding plant life (you might have to play with the AoE on this to get the right feel). The real cost for the REC on each time of magic will likely be similar since the defilers get the Side Effect limitation, but you could adjust that as you see fit.[/quote']

Ok, that's a good solution. I like that. :) It has the simplicity I was looking for. I'll just have to determine the chart of REC for each type of environment/terrain. Hmm.

Sounds like an END Reserve.

Build as much END as you like.

Take (say) 10 REC subject to the following limitations: Extra time, Must have plant life nearby

Take another 10 END with the same limitations PLUS environmental side effect (destroys nearby plant life)

Bingo.

EDIT. Kinda like what Ockham's Spoon said :)

Hmm, thanks! That helps a little bit. That covers the Change Environment penalty, methinks.

However, what about the extra time? I'm still not entirely sure how to handle that with regards to REC. How do I simulate it actually taking someone actively recovering their endurance instead of passively regenerating it? The standard limitations don't quite seem to cover that. I'm not sure which way to go with it. Require an actual action during the turn to be spent (half phase or full phase?) or some sort of defensive penalty to represent concentrating on the drawing of energy?

How about 0 REC and some type of an Aid to fill the END Reserve?

Aid END Reserve 1d6, Side Effects, Side Effect occurs automatically whenever Power is used (Side Effect only affects the environment near the character; +0) (6 Active Points); Conditional Power Power does not work in Uncommon Circumstances (Requires nearby vegetation; -1/4)