So I ordered Pulp Hero

Pizza Man

175 point starting characters.

The book is probably a week or more till delivery (standard shipping).

My only real problem is I hate running standard gun toting characters. Champions is the only Hero system I've played in. What have you done to make your Pulp character to stand out?

I saw a space hero example with 6 points towards a 4 STR Telekinesis. That's somewhat different.

I was thinking of summoning a shield, no focus, but paying END to summon it. I didn't want an activation roll, but I did want it to be ineffective vs attacks from behind (kind of a mystical protection).

and maybe a small multi-power, with a shield bash, and a ranged attack (it always returns). Like Captain America. would that be too much for your campaign? What would the starting damage levels in a Pulp campaign be?

Curse the fates and slow standard shipping!

A masked vigilante is really what I want. something different from a brawling gunslinger.

I'm really interested to see what you've done differently.

Re: So I ordered Pulp Hero

the Pulp Genre allows for fisticuffs really easily - it's much more Pulp to go at it with your fists that a gun in many situations.

plus, all the other Pulp archetypes that don't even get into the idea of that much combat. Mystics and Mechanics, Barn Stormers, all kinds of fun there. A lot of times the Shadow never even pulled a gun, outsmart and outpunch is the order of the day! It ain't Pulp 'till you punch out a NAZI. . . .

I've come across several fan-created Fifth Edition HERO System pulp campaign websites, which included PCs with interesting and creative backgrounds, plus full character sheets in the point range you're considering. Perhaps looking at these might give you some ideas:

http://web.archive.org/web/20050829060600/home.earthlink.net/~ddoepke/amanpc.html

http://web.archive.org/web/20050211112812/www.armlesstigerman.com/intro/pulp/cast.html

http://web.archive.org/web/20050205200430/www.brighthouse.ca/lee/odyssey/pc/pcmain.htm

I made a character, but I'm still playing champions, so I won't post him here. He was 175 points 6th Ed...but he violated even a champions active point total...The active points here are more than a 100! No GM will accept this.

So take a look and laugh, I was just puting down everything I wanted

33 (paid points) Barrier 3 M wide, 2M tall (8 pts), 8PD/8 ED (24 pts), 8 BODY (8)

+10 for Non Anchored. (50 pts total) +1/4 for mobile, +1 for One Way Transparent (all attacks), -1 for Feedback. -1/4th for cannot englobe. -1/4 for gestures, -1/4 incantations. >He uses an ancient Gaelic protective ritual<

anyways, I have to stop playing champions and start dealing with the genre.

Eventually I will get Pulp Hero (it just shipped Monday)

So GM's...here's a question. Is there an active point total in your campaign?

175 point starting characters.

The book is probably a week or more till delivery (standard shipping).

My only real problem is I hate running standard gun toting characters. Champions is the only Hero system I've played in. What have you done to make your Pulp character to stand out?

I saw a space hero example with 6 points towards a 4 STR Telekinesis. That's somewhat different.

I was thinking of summoning a shield, no focus, but paying END to summon it. I didn't want an activation roll, but I did want it to be ineffective vs attacks from behind (kind of a mystical protection).

and maybe a small multi-power, with a shield bash, and a ranged attack (it always returns). Like Captain America. would that be too much for your campaign? What would the starting damage levels in a Pulp campaign be?

Curse the fates and slow standard shipping!

A masked vigilante is really what I want. something different from a brawling gunslinger.

I'm really interested to see what you've done differently.

What about a master of Mesmerism?....Mental illusions and some basic Telepathy powers....a master of Yoga? Lots of room for weirdos in the Pulps...

The "Pulp Hero" book has some nice "powers" or special abilities that can help make YOUR character stand out from the pack.

Yes, I can't wait till that gets in, But with Standard shipping, it may be a while to till it gets here.

In the meantime, take a looksee at this.

Basically, I'm looking at a descendant of an English Lord. Every generation has one person who inherits a unique gift: the mantle of Knighthood.

It uses an ancielt celtic ritual to summon all these powers.

With gestures and incantations armor, a shield, and a sword all appear.

There are no foci involved, this is a mystical inheritance.

What I want to do is add a ritual to get all these powers. It will cost end, but only to activate. and it will need gestures and incantations, only to activate. How would you build that. attach it to an instant change, and link all the other powers to it?

---Oh and I'm using 6th Ed books to make this.

6 Shield Immunity To Bullets: Armor (7 PD/0 ED), Hardened (+1/4) (13 Active Points); Only Works Against Very Limited Type of Attack (Bullets; -1/2), Does not work against attacks from behind -1/2

15 Armor 5PD/5ED (15 Active Points) medieval armor appears,

30 points Multi Power: Knight Errant powers

3 Shield Bash +6D6 HA

3 Hurl Shield 6D6 Blast vs PD (always reappears on arm afterwards)

3 Sword 2D6 HKA (3D6 with STR)

60 points in Powers total...!

Is this still too much of a champions character? I know I do need to make these powers cheaper-but I don't want to use Foci or activation rolls.

Whether you can have those powers depends on your GM's concept of what sort of PC's he might want. If the campaign is fairly high powered with a bunch of characters with the sort of powers you are after, it might work fine. However, if you are after a bunch of two fisted heros or detectives then that might be a bit much. But, if you can fit the powers that you want into the point limit that you have been given, and the GM agrees to your concept, then go for it !

No disrespect intended, Pizza Man, but it seems to me that your design is trying to fit a superhuman Champions-type character into the pulp genre. That's understandable, as your past experience is with Champions, and there's certainly a good deal of cross-pollenation between the genres. However, I can't help feeling you're missing an important distinction: pulp is much more about unique style, than about power.

May I suggest that your inheritor of "the mantle of Knighthood" be trained in the skills to use actual archaic weaponry, rather than mystically summon magical versions of them? Perhaps he (or she) is the latest reincarnation of a great champion from his family's past, with his ancestor's memories and fighting prowess. That would be very much in-genre, and give your character a distinctive style, without having to worry about Active Point limits or what Powers your GM will allow.

No disrespect intended' date=' Pizza Man, but it seems to me that your design is trying to fit a superhuman Champions-type character into the pulp genre.

No offense taken. You called it. I tried again in a new thread. Another mystery man. go figure.

However all my ignorance is about to change...

I GOT THE BOOK!

It came today!Just delivered, in fact.

Now everyone, please excuse me while I open a new world...

No offense taken. You called it. I tried again in a new thread. Another mystery man. go figure.

However all my ignorance is about to change...

I GOT THE BOOK!

It came today!Just delivered, in fact.

Now everyone, please excuse me while I open a new world...

Okay. So read it and have a look at the sample characters before you create one of your own. The other thing to do is talk over your concepts with the other players that you are playing the campaign with as well as the G M. If YOU are the GM (I wasn't sure, but that seems to be implied from your comments). Have a talk with your players about what THEIR expectations are , have a look at the sample characters, then start thinking about what sort of a campaign/world you want to play in. Oh yeah, and don't forget to have FUN !

OK, I'm reading this and I understand the concept behind weird science and all the activation/skill rolls. I understand the limitations on powers

--Of course I have no 5th edition book, so everything I post will be in 6th Ed rules. Hope everyone is OK for that.

It looks more likely that I will run, as apposed to play. My other thread about my characters was started before I got this book, but the Shield is closer to the style of play than my first attempts. Your 150 point starting characters translates to 175 points in 6th Ed.

One thing different, was one of his Hunteds: a Naga from the Beastiary. It fits the style well. It can shape shift into any human form. Its a monster from India posing as a local ruler. I'm going to be posting him soon.

--What do ya think of a monster as a mastermind type hunted?