Critique my Character Please

baronspam

Hi all,

It has been a long long time since I have built a champions character, and this is my first run a 6th editions one. I was hoping for some feedback on the mechanical aspects of the build, a double check to make sure I am following all the rules, etc. This a standard 400 pt super champaign character, Bronze Age/Four Color morality. Complications are still pending.

Super quick thumnail of background: His hero name is Portal (may change if I come up with something better). He was a career criminologist with a FBI unit that investigated crime scenes to determine if there had been superhuman involvment in a crime. At on point his unit was issued some special protective gear, which proved to be faulty and dosed the entire team with high levels of radiation. Several died, but Portal and some others survived, although with long term physical injuries. The process set off a change, however, that granted him spacial manipulation powers. Now retired from the FBI and living on a generous settlement from the manufacturers of the bad powersuits, Portal is essentiall a walking spacial anomoly. The way Dr. Silverback tried to explain it to him "You are sort of like one of those Russian stacking dolls. You exist here and in many micro-dimensions that are just slightly offset from this one simultaniously. That multiple dimensional existance makes you much tougher than a normal person and lets you reconstruct your body if you are damaged. You can also use that same effect to manipulate space, letting you teleport, move objects, generate shock waves, and percieve distant points. In fact, your pecpeption is only partially dependant on normal senses at this point. You are starting to sense the curving of space and dimension itself, which is why you can "see" in the dark and are hard to dazzle."

"Um, can you go back to that stacking doll thing again."

Dr. Silverback. " Ok, lets try it this way. . . "

Str 10 Dex 20 Con 21 Int 13 Ego 13 Pre 20

OCV 7 DCV7 OMCV 3 DMCV3 Speed 6

PD 10 ED12 Rec 14 End 70 Body 15 Stun 40.

Powers:

MP- Spacial Manipulation Powers 50 Point Reserve, 50 Real Poins

5f-Spacial Distortion Bolt- 10d6 Blast 5 end, 50 active points.

2f-Long Range Teleport-5m Teleport, 4x Mass, No Relative Velocity, Megascale (+1) up to 5 Km. 0DCV Concentrate (-1/2) Full Phase to Activate (-1/2). 50 Active Points, 25 Real Points. 5 End

2f- Dimensional sensing- Clairsentience Sight Sense Group, Hearing, x16 Range, Moble Perception Point, Concentrate ½ DCV (-1/2) Extra Time Full Phase (1/2). 50 Active, 25 Real 5end

4f- Bend Space- 30 Strength TK. 4 End.

Dimensional Blink- 30m Teleport, 4x Mass, 40 Points 4 End

Telekenetic Hover- 5m Flight, 1 End.

Sense Dimensional Contours- Nightsight 5 points and Flash Def 5 Points. No End.

Multidimensional body- +10 PD +10 ED Resistant, 10 Pts Power Def, 1 Body Per 20 Min Regeneration, Can Heal Limbs. Total 55. No End.

Skills: 3 CSL with Multipower, 15pts

Streetwise 13- 3pts

Streetwise 13- 3 pts

Paramedic 12- 3 pts

PS: Law Enforcement 11- 2pts

KS: Campaign City 11- 2pts

KS Supercriminal Organizations 12- 3 pts

KS: Crime of Campaign City 11- 2 pts

Criminology 12- 3 pt

Skill Total 36 Points

Perks: 5 pts weath.

Complications still pending along with a more detailed backstory.

Can anyone see any outright errors or cheats? And if not, any suggestions on making a more effective character. I tried to use the examlpe characters in the Champions book as a guide.

Thanks Much

Baron

Re: Critique my Character Please

Some of the things I noticed were, you're CON might be a little low. I tend to have at least a 23-28 when playing at the superhero level. The Regeneration, in my mind, doesn't seem to fit the concept. How does teleporting give you the ability to regrow limbs? Along those lines, in my 25 years of playing Champions, I've never seen anyone who had a limb hacked off that the player didn't ask for it to happen (player wanted to turn the character into a cyborg). It seems like a waste of points for the most part. You also bought Streetwise twice. You only have 4 powers in your Mulipower, if I were GM, I'd say your CLS's with multipower only cost 3 points instead of 5.

Some of the things I noticed were' date=' you're CON might be a little low. I tend to have at least a 23-28 when playing at the superhero level. The Regeneration, in my mind, doesn't seem to fit the concept. How does teleporting give you the ability to regrow limbs? Along those lines, in my 25 years of playing Champions, I've never seen anyone who had a limb hacked off that the player didn't ask for it to happen (player wanted to turn the character into a cyborg). It seems like a waste of points for the most part. You also bought Streetwise twice. You only have 4 powers in your Mulipower, if I were GM, I'd say your CLS's with multipower only cost 3 points instead of 5.[/quote']

Opps-one of those streetwise is supposed to be stealth.

I will have to look at the rules for 3 point CLs. They might fit better instead.

The regen- the idea is that when Portal gets hit he sort of de-rezes and then reforms without the wounds. Thats how his resistant defences work as well. The bullets don't bounce off, he can just rebuild his body by phasing out and phasing back in better shape. Minor wounds are basically immediatly dismissed (extra resistant defense) and major wounds heal within a few hours (the regeneration).

I will look at liberating some points and getting con up a bit.

Welcome back to HERO!

I strongly recommend getting yourself a copy of Hero Designer as soon as possible as it makes the technical process of making a character so much easier.

Are all his powers just different aspects of his ability to manipulate space? If so you might consider using the Unified Power Limitation.

Be sure to ask the GM about the commonality of Adjustment Powers in the gameworld before using it in the build though. If he doesn't plan on using them then it would never limit the character.

Another less than obvious source of additional points is the relatively high SPD you chose (6). I would strongly recommend reducing that by a point or two if above the rest of the group average. High SPD's for non-speedsters have a tendancy to encourage SPD inflation which just takes points away from other cool things the character could do with powers.

Looks like a pretty straight forward Energy projector. Will work pretty well in a DC10 campaign. If I was GM I might make you drop the SPD to 5 to keep campaign SPD from becoming inflated. (I tend to have spd 4 Bricks, Energy Projectors at 5, and Martial artists at 6-7). Also OCV 7 with no skill levels may be a mistake. OCV 8-9 would be better and having at least 1 or 2 penalty skill level with Blast wouldn't hurt.

I am just saying what would happen to the character in a typical Champs game that I would run. There are others who post here that would say that your CV and SPD are way over powered. I would recommend that you find out what the GM's average OCV/DCV and SPD are.