Slow target power.

baronspam

Hi there,

I am working on a 400pt standard supers character who has spacial manipulation powers. I am thinking about a power that lets him slow the movement of enemies by changing the nature of space around them. I am a little stuck on how to build this, however. I don't think it is an entangle, as it does't stick them in place, just slows them down, and the target can't really "bust out". I was looking at an adjustment power, but i was wanting something that affected the target no matter the movement power(maybe teleportation would be exempt) or the special effect of the movement power. Is there a way to build that so it doesn't cost a zillion points?

Ideally, I would like a version of this that fit in a 50 active point multipower.

Re: Slow target power.

Slow Time abilites on 50 active points is a tough fit.

The 5e Ultimate Speedster had a solution which was a variation on EDM called Enter the Speed Zone.

Of course that was all about speeding up the power's owner, not slowing enemies.

The easiest (to purchase at least) is a Drain vs. SPD but the rules for changing SPD mid-Turn can be somewhat complex.

:D

Need to go look at my books cause I cannot remember all of the advantages in play just now.

I am thinking that all you are looking at is a movement drain with an advantage to reflect that it impacts the movement currently in use rather than anything else. I am thinking that for a single person attack I would charge this at x1/2, for an area effect where it would impact various people differently depending on their movement type, I would charge x1.

For your fifty point limit you are now simply looking to see how much of a movement drain you can afford.

My thoughts would be that you'd want to be using some form of continuing effect on this if it is to be useful at all...but that does cut even deeper into your fifty point limit.

Doc

Need to go look at my books cause I cannot remember all of the advantages in play just now.

I am thinking that all you are looking at is a movement drain with an advantage to reflect that it impacts the movement currently in use rather than anything else. I am thinking that for a single person attack I would charge this at x1/2, for an area effect where it would impact various people differently depending on their movement type, I would charge x1.

For your fifty point limit you are now simply looking to see how much of a movement drain you can afford.

My thoughts would be that you'd want to be using some form of continuing effect on this if it is to be useful at all...but that does cut even deeper into your fifty point limit.

Doc

I was thinking this would be a drain of some kind as well,just wasn't sure how to pull it off in terms of advantages. It doesn't really have to imobilize people, rather just be something you could drop on a more mobile enemy to decrease the advantage they had from their mobility.

One of the books, maybe one of the Fantasy Hero Grimoires or UNTIL Superpowers Databases, had a power to make the ground soft (I think) to reduce a target's movement.

It was designed as an Area Effect Entangle that Takes No Damage from Attacks with the Limitation Victims Can Move Through Affected Area At 1" Per Phase (-1).

by changing the nature of space around them

So all attack against the enemies will be slow down too. :(

I am a all new hero system's student who don't know anything about powers' creation. but I have been learning Skill since this morning.

I propose you something like that:

- Time and Space deformation knowledge ( Background skill : KS ) for 14 character points , you have a SR = 25- ( you will fail only if you rolled 18 with the dices )

- Time and Space deformation application ( Background skill : PS ) for 14 CP , SR = 25- .

I will add an attack roll against a specific Area zone ( I think its DCV = 3 ) to launch and affect a specific zone where your ennemies is.

So all attack against the enemies will be slow down too. :(

An interesting wrinkle - but given that all the movement etc should be relative should make no real difference to anything at all. :)

I am a all new hero system's student who don't know anything about powers' creation. but I have been learning Skill since this morning.

I propose you something like that:

- Time and Space deformation knowledge ( Background skill : KS ) for 14 character points , you have a SR = 25- ( you will fail only if you rolled 18 with the dices )

- Time and Space deformation application ( Background skill : PS ) for 14 CP , SR = 25- .

I will add an attack roll against a specific Area zone ( I think its DCV = 3 ) to launch and affect a specific zone where your ennemies is.

This is not the game as written. Yes you can give someone the skill and knowledge on how this is to be accomplished. Yes, you can give people the skill to carry something out - but you have not given them the ability to do so. It is like giving someone with no voice box the knowledge of singing and the singing skill - without the voicebox they are still unable to do it.

If there was technology available in the universe, then these skills would allow the person using that equipment to plan and carry out the time and space deformations. They would still need access to the kit that made it happen though...

There are places where skills and powers overlap - stealth and invisibility bump up against each other often enough - but this is not one of them.

Doc

Drain 3d6 vs Any one movement power +1/2 (Variable Effect 6E1 142) = 45 points. Simply use it against whatever movement power is currently being used. Of course, they'd be able to switch from running to flying or whatever and have full capability there.

or:

Drain 1d6 vs. Flight, Running, Swimming, Leaping, Swinging, and Burrowing +2 1/2 (Expanded Effect 6E1 142) = 35 points

Which will do all of them simultaneously, but only a little bit of each.

I think that's the best you can do, unfortunately... the problem is that the effect you have is very powerful, and you just don't have enough points to do it effectively.

Constant NND Presence Attack.

A successful presence attack can cause someone to lose a turn. A constant NND Presence Attack (Defense being whatever is appropriate to resist your "Slow Time" attack) could cause someone to lose phase after phase until whatever condition is met.

Just a thought.