spreading with continuoust attack

I was thinking about a flamethrower type attack where you can walk the attack into the target, making it much easier to hit over time.

My initial idea (which I still like for some things) is Tracer +1/4 no range modifier on follow-up attacks. This would give no range modifier for attacks after the first on the same target. If you do not attack the target on a phase it starts over. No range modifier is +1/2 so this seemed reasonable.

But then I was looking at continuous since being able to hold the flame on the target once you'd hit made sense. And it struck me - spreading.

a 6d6 continuous attack could be used first as 1d6 +5 for spreading. Then when you hit switch to 6d6.

Seems valid within the rules to me. And a +1 advantage for getting a bonus to hit if you take an extra phase doesn't seem cost effective, so people wouldn't take continuous just to be able to use the spreading modifier.

I too would probably take the AE route. Consider a Multipower with one slot being AE Cone and the other AE Line.

Specifically on "tracking" with a steady attack (not Continuous, which continues to affect the target while yo do other things): As a GM, I'd rule that a character can "track" his target by spreading, thus gaining a bonus to OCV but less damage because the attack isn't always on the target. It's kinda what spreading is, actually. I wouldn't allow a bonus to hit again with an unspread attac though, because it becomes easier to avoid then and all combatants are assumed to be fighting intelligently.

Continuous means you don't have to roll another attack. So long as the attack is active (e.g. you continue to pay END, and if it's in a multipower you stay on that slot) you can maintain it and still do other things. It's not smart, though; in the case of TK, for instance, it just allows you to keep doing whatever you originally did, not change what you are using the TK to do.

So, you can attack target A with your continuous attack, and next turn pay to maintain it and attack target B, or have 2 instances of your attack against target A, or whatever. You can build up lots of attacks against the same target if you have enough phases (though at some point it probably won't matter, since if it can mostly resist the first it can mostly resist all of them.)

Uncontrolled means you don't even have to maintain it yourself, you can switch your MP slot, leave the area completely, etc. and still have the attack affect the target.

That really is what Continuous does, but remember that using (maintaining) a Power really only takes up time if it requires an attack roll. If you don't want the owner of the attack to be able to do other things while maintaining the attack, I would consider (possibly a less severe) form of Extra Time. If the attacker is partially limitied as to what (s)he can do while maintaining an attack, consider Limitations like Concentrate, Gestures, and/or Incantations.

I can think of two ways to simulate an attack that requires an attack action each Phase to maintain, but not a to hit roll once it's affecting the target:

Buy it Continuous, then apply a Requires An Attack Action To Maintain (-1/2) Limitation.

-or-

Buy +5 OCV with the attack (10 points) and rule they can only apply after the target is already hit. You cannot apply Limitations to this because you are buying 2 point levels. Of course, you can always say Only To Strike A Target Immediately After A Successful Attack With Single Power is a -1 1/2 LImitation and ir brings the cost down to 10 for the 5 point levels.

I'd prefer the second myself, because I can't really conceive of any attack that would still require the attackers attention and concentration that the target couldn't avoid by running away, missile deflecting or stepping out of if he's quick enough. Those all sound like the attack is still making attack rolls, which the target can then dodge or missile deflect. The +5 OCV listed above could represent some sort of "lock on" that makes it harder for the target to avoid the attack once he's hit.